5MP camera - downgrade?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Consumers have been conditioned to think more megapixels==better by camera companies when they started the MP wars.

Now its time to start educating people about the importance of sensors. Apple did this in the 4S keynote and IMO Google should have mentioned the sensor details esp since its 'only' 5MP. The pics and video look great which is all that matters. I also want to know if ICS reduces lag on all cameras.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: 5MP camera

Engadget is very Apple biased, the pictures taken are very mediocre and seemed rushed..

Wrong. Quit being an apologist for the crappy photos that were taken. They are HORRIBLE. I've seen camera smack downs, and reviews for many other Android phones from Engadget and they always do a fair job of taking the best photos and videos they can. This Is My Next has a hands on and their photos look just as bad.

kedesa

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I currently own the Samsung Charge which has a 8MP camera, the panoramic is one of the best features built in when taking photos.
I've included 2 example pictures taken from my phone:

1. lake that I camped at on a very calm day
Click to view quoted image

2. trying to capture the Seminole chop during the FSU vs Oklahoma game
Click to view quoted image

The first picture is nicely defined, compared to the second picture where it is blurry everywhere.
With the zero shutter lag coming in the Nexus, that would've made my second picture way more badass when trying to capture the thousands of people around me.

In my opinion
5MP w zero shutter > 8MP.

GO NOLES!!

I think for a point and shoot that you carry with you at all times; this camera will serve just fine.

OFF TOPIC, but

GO NOLES!! (Yeah this is a tough yea)

palmor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

Maybe because the picture was about 4ft tall magnified on that horrible projection screen.

Actually he wasn't letting the camera AF in between all those shots (to show off the instant shutter). Instant shutter is great but without a incredibly fast AF system it doesn't mean as much. A camera is only as fast as it's slowest component and that will be the AF system.

John

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Wrong. Quit being an apologist for the crappy photos that were taken. They are HORRIBLE. I've seen camera smack downs, and reviews for many other Android phones from Engadget and they always do a fair job of taking the best photos and videos they can. This Is My Next has a hands on and their photos look just as bad.

Oh please, let's tone down the hyperbole just a bit , shall we? A few comparisons?
Pics look as good as the 4S ones here: PICS

The speed of the photo snapping is impressive as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n0fN55W9erM

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

Oh please, let's tone down the hyperbole just a bit , shall we? A few comparisons?

The speed of the photo snapping is impressive as well: iPhone 4S vs Galaxy Nexus Camera speed test - YouTube

It's not hyperbole. Look at the Engadget pics. They are not good, at all. Sorry. Those pics in the link you sent look much better. Either way, I speak the truth, the pics Engadget took are horrible.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

It's not hyperbole. Look at the Engadget pics. They are not good, at all. Sorry. Those pics in the link you sent look much better. Either way, I speak the truth, the pics Engadget took are horrible.

I can take pics form any camera and they may not look good either, I don't think it proves much. I am not saying the camera is good or bad though.

So now you have seen good pics and bad pics from the camera. Does that prove it's "terrible"? No, I am just saying it's not a bad idea to calm down with the over the top comments until we see some real reviews.

nyyankees8175

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I think from seeing those pictures. It's a good sign that the camera on the device is pretty good. I have an I phone 4 now and yes picture quality is a great feature to have. But when It comes down to it. My pictures stay on my phone I don't download them or print them out. So 5mp compared to 8mp is far from a factor to me. I care more about call quality then anything.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

I can take pics form any camera and they may not look good either, I don't think it proves much. I am not saying the camera is good or bad though.

So now you have seen good pics and bad pics from the camera. Does that prove it's "terrible"? No, I am just saying it's not a bad idea to calm down with the over the top comments until we see some real reviews.

I agree, I did say that I am waiting until it's out to reserve final judgement. My post was more in response to the other poster basically accusing Engadget of purposely taking bad pics with the Nexus.

GravityDroid

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

The speed of the photo snapping is impressive as well: iPhone 4S vs Galaxy Nexus Camera speed test - YouTube

Trying to be as objective as possible here..I think the iphone 4s has the galaxy nexus beat in those pictures which I say for two reasons: Look at the picture of the guy, and look at the tree and building detail behind him from each device. Also, look at the last picture, and the mountains in the background, you can see much more detail from the 4s. Just my two cents though, I'm a rookie at all this though so feel free to rip me apart if I've said something incorrect :)

palmor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

Trying to be as objective as possible here..I think the iphone 4s has the galaxy nexus beat in those pictures which I say for two reasons: Look at the picture of the guy, and look at the tree and building detail behind him from each device. Also, look at the last picture, and the mountains in the background, you can see much more detail from the 4s. Just my two cents though, I'm a rookie at all this though so feel free to rip me apart if I've said something incorrect :)

Sorry but the comparisons aren't accurate... the reason you see more details in some of the photos is because the exposure is so different between the two. With the picture of the guy, the Nexus took it's exposure values on the guy himself while the iphone took it's exposure based on the bright window.

To really compare you need to have a much more controlled test.

John

Last edited:

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
5MP can easily beat 8MP if the pixels are bigger. This is because the pixels in cell phone cameras are so small, they are beyond the limit of what even a perfect lens can resolve (the diffraction limit of light).

Notice how the $500 Nikon and Canon cameras are only about 10MP, while the $150 cameras have 14 or 16MP? That's because Nikon and Canon know that the 16MP picture will have no more detail than the 10MP, and the 10MP will have lower noise because the larger pixels collect more photons.

Now, if Samsung have gone and put in a 5MP sensor with the same size pixels as their 8MP sensors, then we've just been screwed.

GravityDroid

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Sorry but the comparisons are accurate... the reason you see more details in some of the photos is because the exposure is so different between the two. With the picture of the guy, the Nexus took it's exposure values on the guy himself while the iphone took it's exposure based on the bright window.

John

You mean the comparisons were inaccurate, right? So then, the pictures taken weren't really a fair test is what you're saying.

Last edited:

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Sorry but the comparisons are accurate... the reason you see more details in some of the photos is because the exposure is so different between the two. With the picture of the guy, the Nexus took it's exposure values on the guy himself while the iphone took it's exposure based on the bright window.

Exactly. I'm really impressed with the photo quality (of both the GN and the iP4S), but the comparison isn't enough to do a true comparison. Both show good white balance, good exposure, and reasonable low light capture of details.

I have no doubt that the 4S will capture more detail at full resolution, but unless you print out a small poster or zoom into it in Photoshop it won't really matter. Moreover, smaller images can be written to memory faster, and may be what allows the GN to have almost zero downtime between shots. I think there's a joke floating around somewhere about iPhone 4S owners needing to got get a cup of coffee between shots now...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01