Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

Default 5MP camera - downgrade?

so was there an explanation why the downgrade in camera? or is this camera super awesome that it doesn't need the extra 3MP like every high end smartphone on the market? i was so sure i was getting this phone until the 5MP camera... now it's not a sure thing anymore.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

ROM
    Jelly Bean

Default Re: 5MP camera

I'm by no means a camera connoisseur, but it looks like it's taking some pretty impressive pictures.

The camera look pretty good.....the timeplase vids looked amazing
    zulu308 likes this.

Meh.

ROM
    given up keeping track

MPs alone don't make a good camera. The hardware and software behind it, do though.

Don't be suckered into the marketing that more MPs = better pictures.

The difference between 5MP and 8MP photos is that you can enlarge an 8MP to about 4 feet by 5 feet with little degradation of resolution.

Given that no one in their right mind enlarges their phone pix over, say 8x10 inches, there is absolutely no reason to increase the MP. Much better to work with better sensors to improve the overall photograph colors and sensitivity to light.

Kath
    NeuroNY and technician199 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

the cameras other features more than make up for it.

With the new features in the camera that rely on instant snaps, I can very easily understand why they went 5MP. I'm actually stoked about it.
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin

i'll take a good 5 MP camera over a crappy 8MP camera any day. more pixels but worse sensor would just mean more noise and worse pics.
    kenshell and NeuroNY like this.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

that video was incredible. To hel with megapixels. I knew sammy wouldn't let us down. WOW!
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
    hmackenz likes this.

The camera looked good to me. Everyone knows that MP is just a number. a 1920x1080 TV only has about 2MP. 5 MP is just fine provided the sensor, lens, and software are top notch.

I'll let the reviewers have some time with it, but it looks like it will be superior to the camera on the new iPhone 4S whose biggest claim was speed of pictures.

i really hope its the same sensor which apple used on iPhone 4. No 8+mp smartphone camera came close to the quality of that thing.

That instant shutter was godly!
    pwninobrlan likes this.

The camera did look pretty incredible. The panoramic mode was pretty cool I thought.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff43 View Post
    MPs alone don't make a good camera. The hardware and software behind it, do though.

i know which is why i would have thought they'd address that by saying something about how awesome the hardware is or something.
    Motorola Droid Maxx
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DenverRalphy View Post
    With the new features in the camera that rely on instant snaps, I can very easily understand why they went 5MP. I'm actually stoked about it.
    oh? do the new features not work so well with 8MP or something?
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ulnek View Post
    i know which is why i would have thought they'd address that by saying something about how awesome the hardware is or something.
    I thought they did say something about it being an advanced 5MP camera or something like that.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WebDevAnalyst View Post
    I thought they did say something about it being an advanced 5MP camera or something like that.
    oh they did? doh! i must have missed that. >_<
    Motorola Droid Maxx

ROM
    Rooted/Unlocked Stk 4.4.3

My DX has an 8 MP camera but has terrible sensors and software behind it and the shutter takes FOREVER! As Apple said LAST WEEK, MP is not everything and this camera proved it. MUCH better performance it looks like so far than the iPhone 4S camera. GNexus DESTROYED Apple tonight!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VAVA Mk2 View Post
    My DX has an 8 MP camera but has terrible sensors and software behind it and the shutter takes FOREVER! As Apple said LAST WEEK, MP is not everything and this camera proved it. MUCH better performance it looks like so far than the iPhone 4S camera. GNexus DESTROYED Apple tonight!
    had the same experience with original droid. i think motorola has really slow cameras. wonder if they fixed that for the razr. was hoping the video reviewer on here would fire up the camera to test, but alas...
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by ulnek View Post
    Forget that this camera will be amazing... Worry about sound capture during 1080p videos instead

Sent from my ADR6400L
    Banned

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff43 View Post

yes, but more pixel means more details and 5 mp is not 8 mp also you can make bigger prints if you decide i know its not a point of shot but still.

a year from now 5 mp will be history even more than now is, and you be stuck with it
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Lets remember MP = size. Do we want to post or print poster size photos from our phones? I think no. 3mp is good and 5mp is perfect for a 8x10. You can have 12 MP but with a bad lens and sensor it will do nothing for you.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jdm4292 View Post
    Forget that this camera will be amazing... Worry about sound capture during 1080p videos instead

Sent from my ADR6400L
    wait, are you saying there's no sound capture? O.O
    Motorola Droid Maxx
    Banned

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

did you guys notice when they toke a picture of the toys how unsharp that was , i know they did it fast but i think it could have been sharper
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast