Time for some bad news about ICS: lag, task manager, long press

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Time for some bad news about ICS: lag, task manager, long pre

The looks really smooth in this video. The main thing I was looking for is the home screen transitions. The other reviewers swiped it very quickly and it was hard to tell. In this video, when seen up close, it looks like the transitions from screen to screen flows, just like the iphone.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htbXBGdVVwg[/yt]

alterbridge86

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

Heads up for those with concerns about the missed touchs/responsiveness reported - Engadget updated their initial article:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Ice Cream Sandwich hands-on (video) -- Engadget

Update: turns out our demo phone was a bit of an early build; we touched another model later in the day, and our response gripes were gone. Perfectly responsive. Hopefully that's the one that'll ship out.

As a whole, the TIMN "review" is really weird - the words just don't match up with the videos that are flying around everywhere. From what I can see, the device is fast, fluid, amazing, and I want it :)

Bottom line - don't put too much stake in what these people say, watch videos of the device in use, touch it yourself when possible, and make a solid opinion based on your own personal interaction with the device.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Here's you answers: The app switcher is also a task killer, although probably one that allows the OS a bit of intelligent flexibility if it needs to keep something in memory to keep operating smoothly.

Long presses really aren't that awesome. My wife mostly lovers he Dinc, but still manages to not find things that require a long press. A long press also takes more time than a gesture. I'm sure long-presses will still be used in places where they are the only practical choice (perhaps to reveal power-user items), but for commonly used actions swipe gestures are faster and more intuitive for the majority of people.

As for "lag", it's BS. Engadget has stated it was an early build, and the TIMN people were referring to watching someone demo a phone (i.e., not the one that was in their video) during their write-up. Everyone else (and all of the videos) from last night say the thing is fast and slick.

So I'm going to have to believe them and my own eyes over John Gruber and TIMN.

Last edited:

StefanYFC

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I don't 'splore the forums often here at AC, but holy ing trolls!

The videos I've watched last night and since then have been lag free. I was incredibly surprised at how smooth everything was. Now after watching Engadget test the facial recognition I am truly sold. I can't believe how fast it was. As for the task killer/switcher, I rarely 'kill' apps in GB anyways.. Google says it lets Android handle tasks because IT CAN ACTUALLY DO IT. They aren't just lying.. I love that I can swipe them away now, but honestly I'll probably never have to use it.

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site

It's so hard to believe what any of the other tech blogs say about any Android device. They love to hate Android, and they almost always make mountains out of mole hills.

Sometimes I wonder what reviewers would say if Apple had made Android, and Google had made iOS.

Happy to see the lag rumors put to rest though. If the Epic 4G Touch can be as responsive and smooth as iOS, then there's no reason ICS/GN shouldn't be.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't see this lag they're talking about. Even their own video contradicts their opnion. Also, getting rid of long press is one pfgr best decisions they made. Its too much forthe average user. Theybneed the information right there to interact it rather than spending time figuring out how to perform a certain task

Sent from my ADR6400L

sneakking

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

wasn't TIMN's article released right after the launch event ended, therefore under gag order until then?

so it's probably safe to assume they had hands on days or weeks before and wrote the article then, perhaps after demoing an earlier build?

doesn't every current video demonstration look snappy to your own eyes?

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

That's because those artards are conditioned to seeing Apple's "no lag" interface that doesn't include anything active, refreshing, or difficult on a small screen -- just icons.

lol @ lag anyway, it didn't have any in the demo

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site

That's because those artards are conditioned to seeing Apple's "no lag" interface that doesn't include anything active, refreshing, or difficult on a small screen -- just icons.

lol @ lag anyway, it didn't have any in the demo

Indeed. Funny how Apple's "no lag" interface made me want to throw my iPad 2 out the bleeping window this weekend as every app lagged and force-closed even though there were no running processes.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Gotta keep in mind that the Verge/TIMN guys are all the apple shrills from Engadget. Literally, all of them.

I remember when Josh had a near orgasm on camera when he was just messing around with the iPad 2. It was almost a double rainbow moment for him.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
This is why I switched to the Arrive...

Sorry folks, but this will never go away in Android until they re-write the OS from the ground up. iOS and WP7.5 are composite based operating systems...meaning they're pre-developed from the ground up (making them a controlled environment). Android is "free' and "open", allowing widgets and customization and such, and will never be lag free unless it is re-written...

ICS isn't even out yet. Don't tell me wp7 doesn't lag because I know it does.

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Gotta keep in mind that the Verge/TIMN guys are all the apple shrills from Engadget. Literally, all of them.

I remember when Josh had a near orgasm on camera when he was just messing around with the iPad 2. It was almost a double rainbow moment for him.

You speak the truth. They LOVE Apple, no 2 ways about it. That's why I was so astonished about how much praise Josh had for hte Nexus and ICS here:

Exclusive: Matias Duarte on the philosophy of Android, and an in-depth look at Ice Cream Sandwich/

Reactions: Ricolando

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Most these "tech" sites are soooo pro-apple it's not even funny. Nothing will ever be good enough in their eyes unless it has an Apple logo on the back. If Apple released the 3GS again rebranded as an iPhone 5 they would all give it 10 stars and say how it's so much further ahead of the competition. It's quite annoying.

The funniest thing IMO is the fact iFanboys are crying about the Roboto font!!!!!!!!! Seriously?!?!? They stole the notification pull down window but yet they cry over a font? Man I'm so sick of the arrogance that pours off from Apple related sites. Yuck!

spovat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

as an android fanboy, I was truly drooling over the GN. been reading about it and anticipating it since it was called the nexus prime. all the hands on demonstrations i saw were buttery smooth..until this disappointing clip Prise en Main Rapide du Samsung Galaxy Nexus - YouTube . you can see lag all over the place, most noticeably at 1:18. i can't express how pissed I am to see this.

You might say it's still just a prototype but even that is unacceptable. Really, why can't we get the same fluid UI of ios and especially mango. i'm amazed how fluid mango is and how it's nearly impossible to make it lag. Anyway, I was completely set on selling my tmobile g2 a year before my contract was up to get the GN...having second thoughts now. i'll keep my eyes open for further demonstrations. i just can't stand seeing that screen lag

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Pro-Apple or not, I have to say that all the devices I've tried so far cannot match the iOS smoothness in terms of overall UI. But this point isn't exactly that big of a deal when I consider which device I want to get.

It doesn't stop me from getting this phone and I can't really say anything until I use it myself.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Pro-Apple or not, I have to say that all the devices I've tried so far cannot match the iOS smoothness in terms of overall UI. But this point isn't exactly that big of a deal when I consider which device I want to get.

It doesn't stop me from getting this phone and I can't really say anything until I use it myself.

My thunderbolt overclocked to 1.4Ghz on CM7 lags far less than my iphone 4 did. 1 example, look at the time it takes to pull down the notification on a stock iPhone 4 with iOS5.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

as an android fanboy, I was truly drooling over the GN. been reading about it and anticipating it since it was called the nexus prime. all the hands on demonstrations i saw were buttery smooth..until this disappointing clip Prise en Main Rapide du Samsung Galaxy Nexus - YouTube . you can see lag all over the place, most noticeably at 1:18. i can't express how pissed I am to see this.

You might say it's still just a prototype but even that is unacceptable. Really, why can't we get the same fluid UI of ios and especially mango. i'm amazed how fluid mango is and how it's nearly impossible to make it lag. Anyway, I was completely set on selling my tmobile g2 a year before my contract was up to get the GN...having second thoughts now. i'll keep my eyes open for further demonstrations. i just can't stand seeing that screen lag

I really didn't notice any lag at 1:18. They hit home and it went home in less than a second. It moved at the same speed then any iPhone I have used. And I'm sure if you turned off transitions it would have been faster.

spovat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

I really didn't notice any lag at 1:18. They hit home and it went home in less than a second. It moved at the same speed then any iPhone I have used. And I'm sure if you turned off transitions it would have been faster.

more specifically, immediately after hitting home when she tries scrolling through the screens, you'll notice that after she swipes left, the phone doesn't immediately respond.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36