1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So, where is the MENU button?

So with the introduction of these virtual buttons, I didn't notice the MENU button anywhere. In Honeycomb, it appears in the top-right of 3.0 applications and as an additional (4th) virtual button in older apps.

Nowhere in the demo did I see a menu button in ICS though. Anyone see one? If not, anyone know what is replacing it in ICS? Very odd ..

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

Default Re: So, where is the MENU button?

Just like on HC: When a menu button is required, the menu button will appear in the virtual button bar. Thats the beauty of virtual buttons.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

The menu button has largely been replaced with a contextual options bar, usually at the bottom from what I saw. But I have seen a menu like button for some apps at the upper right side, similar to Honeycomb. I can't remember exactly which ones they were.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by generous View Post
    Just like on HC: When a menu button is required, the menu button will appear in the virtual button bar. Thats the beauty of virtual buttons.
    Hmm. So on the Home page, when I now can hit Menu, wallpaper, or Menu, Settings.. How exactly would I do that in ICS since there is no Menu button on the Home screen?

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    Hmm. So on the Home page, when I now can hit Menu, wallpaper, or Menu, Settings.. How exactly would I do that in ICS since there is no Menu button on the Home screen?
    IF it's like HC, you can get to these settings from the notifcations area.

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarBo View Post
    IF it's like HC, you can get to these settings from the notifcations area.
    this is 100 percent correct they showed this in the demonstration videos. you simply go to the notification bar and at the top are all the settings

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

**Ignore this post**
    So many phones, so little time.

Hi and Goodday Friends,
    I too have an issue with the "menu button" when I need one, the little green droid pops up and says "just hit the Menu Button" and then the ? Button to acheive this, still when the message pops up No Menu button appears? A855 maybe I should have spent more money? it's odd that it would give detailed instructions for a button few can find!! If You can help,,,, the Drinks are on Me!!!

Blessings
    SteveEEE
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Quote Originally Posted by PremierPowerSports View Post
    Hi and Goodday Friends,
    I too have an issue with the "menu button" when I need one, the little green droid pops up and says "just hit the Menu Button" and then the ? Button to acheive this, still when the message pops up No Menu button appears? A855 maybe I should have spent more money? it's odd that it would give detailed instructions for a button few can find!! If You can help,,,, the Drinks are on Me!!!

Blessings
    SteveEEE
    Is that the OG Droid? A855? That would be the second button from the left if I remember correctly... and if this is about the Droid... wrong forum section
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies

You just need to think "MENU" and telepathic Android Siri will contact an Apple Server and magic a Menu button onto your screen!

There's also a Settings "app" in the app tray I believe.

ROM
    4.0.4 leak

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    From playing in an emulator, you can change the wallpaper by long-pressing a generally empty part of the homescreen (brings up the wallpaper options).
    As for the other options (excluding just getting to Settings, which can be done from the notification dropdown), the Manage applications shortcut is basically just the multitasking button, Search is right on the homescreen, no need for an "Add" button, and other stuff, well, guess we'll find out once the GN hits the market

ROM
    Stock, CM10, AOKP

One of my favorite things about Android was always the dedicated menu button; it was always something I touted over my iPhone wielding roommate, and a fact I highlighted whenever someone asked me how Android compares to iPhone. I loved the fact that, when ever you wanted to see all the options wherever you are, you don't ever have to look for anything, because its always there, in the same place, and if there weren't options, you know because it just doesn't do anything. Now, you have to look for the menu/settings/options/etc., whether its in a pull-down notifications area, or a button on the bottom, or a button on the top, or some other custom thing, and if there aren't settings (which sometimes you think there are but it turns out there aren't, or at least that happens with me this is already too long of a run on sentence) you wouldn't know until you have exhausted your search.
    I may be a minority in thinking this, but I am definitely not alone.

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Guys its in the pulldown notification bar. I'm sure if we complain about it enough it'll get put into a future update, but for now just pull down the notification bar and its right at the top
    Thanked by:
    Tom S. 

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 View Post
    Guys its in the pulldown notification bar. I'm sure if we complain about it enough it'll get put into a future update, but for now just pull down the notification bar and its right at the top
    There's a shortcut to Settings in the notification pull down, but not menu.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock 4.0.1 Rooted

You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it not being there.. I'm Only on day 4 with my phone and have already adjusted.

ROM

One thing I'm wondering about however: you can currently hold down the menu button to force the keyboard to appear. This is sometimes handy when you tap on a form on the web and, for some reason, the keyboard doesn't pop up. Or when the keyboard is blocking something and you want to manually force it to go away. Is this possible in ICS if it doesn't have that button anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by mukarram1 View Post
    One of my favorite things about Android was always the dedicated menu button; it was always something I touted over my iPhone wielding roommate, and a fact I highlighted whenever someone asked me how Android compares to iPhone. I loved the fact that, when ever you wanted to see all the options wherever you are, you don't ever have to look for anything, because its always there, in the same place, and if there weren't options, you know because it just doesn't do anything. Now, you have to look for the menu/settings/options/etc., whether its in a pull-down notifications area, or a button on the bottom, or a button on the top, or some other custom thing, and if there aren't settings (which sometimes you think there are but it turns out there aren't, or at least that happens with me this is already too long of a run on sentence) you wouldn't know until you have exhausted your search.
    I may be a minority in thinking this, but I am definitely not alone.
    One of the arguments against android was the menu button itself. With the button always being there, the user is never sure if there is another menu when they are using a new app. By making the menu button appear when needed, this eliminates the guess work. This way the user can see it and know there is more, instead of looking for more info that isn't there.

If you NEED a menu button, there is a to add the Menu button as well as a Search button.