My concerns about Galaxy Nexus specs

kboater

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I think/hope you guys are right. Thanks, many of you addressed my concerns in the original post.

I did not realize that this was using one of the newer OMAP processors. I do hope that it has full hardware acceleration, but other then some people saying it, it can not find that it has full hw acceleration officially...? I hope it does as I don't want the people on the fence between this and the iphone to be able to say; its still kind of laggy.... I actually have several friends that were contemplating this vs new iphone, and that is one of their concerns.

I do hope it has full hw acceleration, and that that GPU (from my 15 months old vibrant) is able to run that 720p screen completely smoothly (I would assume it does or google would not have put it in their flagship phone....praying), and praying it will run the most intense 3d games completely smoothly; again assuming it will or google would not have put it in flagship phone.

So that is 2 of my concerns addressed. thank you.

but I gotta say, we, android users, have always had an advantage over iphone users in the storage dept. A HUGE ADVANTAGE!! removable stroage. Even if we do not need more then the 16/32gb it comes with, we have always been able to add more with micro sd; its the choice and advantage we have had....
I realize the nexus S did not have it. But to take away one of the biggest advantages android has over Iphone.....i hate to say it, that was one of the worst decisions they could have made.... I absolutely love android, and try to turn everyone on to it by showing uneducated people the advantages it has over iphone. So now to remove that HUGE ADVANTAGE is just stupid.....its so freaking frustrating to throw away a competitive advantage like that.....

I really want a nexus phone as I swore after the vibrant i would have nothing but nexus from now on, considering updates and bug fixes. I am just praying when some professionals get some hands on videos and reviews, that due to software optimization, it lives up to being a nexus device; the device we have all been waiting for. that is 100% smooth in all situations, play any 3d game without a hiccup, and will truely change the way non android die hards like us, look at android; and not just say, well the iphone is smoother, ill get that. ( i know those people are dumb, that that crap pisses me off)

Lastly, i really wish they would have announced US carriers and release dates, that is the other reason some of the people on the fence between new iphone and this have already gone w the iphone. because we have no idea which carriers and when; just rumers....

sorry for the rant, it just really pisses me off when this would have been the IDEAL opportunity to grab some of those who were undecided on which new phone platform. not the iphone die hards, but the majority of people who could have gone either way. An opportunity like this does not come very often when even non android die hards were waiting for this Nexus announcement. I really think Google dropped the ball with this very rare opportunity. Make the best phone, (hardware and software), keep competitive advantages (SD card, no matter if you need it or not), and announce the carries and release it. They could have really taken a lot of potential iphone users

Sorry for such a long post, just frustrated

rmreagle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I still don't get it... The screen is 4.65 including the on screen buttons... But can the screen ever use the full 4.65, or will it be essentially 4.3?

Guess you guys didn't watch the event or missed part of it, cause when he was talking about the move away from hardware buttons to integrated software buttons, he talked about how they will dissappear if they have no use in a particular app, rotate with the screen, and dissappear entirely while watching video to make full use of the awesome display on the gnex. In full view with the 4.65 he even said the dimensions are perfect for a 16:9 aspect ratio.

And for those of you who are worried about functionality or having to make an extra press to get to those buttons when they are hidden i wouldn't worry about it. My guess is that when you hit the area of the screen where the button should be, it will activate just as if it wasn't hit. My GTab10.1 does this in a bunch of apps when the buttons drop away. I'm sure ICS will do the same.

Watch the whole presentation and if you haven't yet:

Google and Samsung, a look at what's new from Android - YouTube

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Part of the panic is a result of stupid benchmark tests. People putting way too much stock into those results. Worse yet is it looks like some tests might have been done with an older version ICS. Even then the point of benchmarks is to push things to the limit even though realistically we are unlikely to see any apps or games push a system that far for quite some time.

RapMasterC

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I think/hope you guys are right. Thanks, many of you addressed my concerns in the original post.

I did not realize that this was using one of the newer OMAP processors. I do hope that it has full hardware acceleration, but other then some people saying it, it can not find that it has full hw acceleration officially...? I hope it does as I don't want the people on the fence between this and the iphone to be able to say; its still kind of laggy.... I actually have several friends that were contemplating this vs new iphone, and that is one of their concerns.

I do hope it has full hw acceleration, and that that GPU (from my 15 months old vibrant) is able to run that 720p screen completely smoothly (I would assume it does or google would not have put it in their flagship phone....praying), and praying it will run the most intense 3d games completely smoothly; again assuming it will or google would not have put it in flagship phone.

So that is 2 of my concerns addressed. thank you.

but I gotta say, we, android users, have always had an advantage over iphone users in the storage dept. A HUGE ADVANTAGE!! removable stroage. Even if we do not need more then the 16/32gb it comes with, we have always been able to add more with micro sd; its the choice and advantage we have had....
I realize the nexus S did not have it. But to take away one of the biggest advantages android has over Iphone.....i hate to say it, that was one of the worst decisions they could have made.... I absolutely love android, and try to turn everyone on to it by showing uneducated people the advantages it has over iphone. So now to remove that HUGE ADVANTAGE is just stupid.....its so freaking frustrating to throw away a competitive advantage like that.....

I really want a nexus phone as I swore after the vibrant i would have nothing but nexus from now on, considering updates and bug fixes. I am just praying when some professionals get some hands on videos and reviews, that due to software optimization, it lives up to being a nexus device; the device we have all been waiting for. that is 100% smooth in all situations, play any 3d game without a hiccup, and will truely change the way non android die hards like us, look at android; and not just say, well the iphone is smoother, ill get that. ( i know those people are dumb, that that crap pisses me off)

Lastly, i really wish they would have announced US carriers and release dates, that is the other reason some of the people on the fence between new iphone and this have already gone w the iphone. because we have no idea which carriers and when; just rumers....

sorry for the rant, it just really pisses me off when this would have been the IDEAL opportunity to grab some of those who were undecided on which new phone platform. not the iphone die hards, but the majority of people who could have gone either way. An opportunity like this does not come very often when even non android die hards were waiting for this Nexus announcement. I really think Google dropped the ball with this very rare opportunity. Make the best phone, (hardware and software), keep competitive advantages (SD card, no matter if you need it or not), and announce the carries and release it. They could have really taken a lot of potential iphone users

Sorry for such a long post, just frustrated

From ICS developer highlights :
New UI components and capabilities

Layout enhancements

A new layout, GridLayout, improves the performance of Android applications by supporting flatter view hierarchies that are faster to layout and render. Because hierarchies are flatter, developers can also manage alignments between components that are visually related to each other even when they are not logically related, for precise control over application UI. GridLayout is also specifically designed to be configured by drag-and-drop design tools such as the ADT Plug-in for Eclipse.

OpenGL ES texture views

A new TextureView object lets developers directly integrate OpenGL ES textures as rendering targets in a UI hierarchy. The object lets developers display and manipulate OpenGL ES rendering just as they would a normal view object in the hierarchy, including moving, transforming, and animating the view as needed. The TextureView object makes it easy for developers to embed camera preview, decoded video, OpenGL game scenes, and more. TextureView can be viewed as a more powerful version of the existing SurfaceView object, since it offers the same benefits of access to a GL rendering surface, with the added advantage of having that surface participate fully in the normal view hierarchy.

Hardware-accelerated 2D drawing

All Android-powered devices running Android 4.0 are required to support hardware-accelerated 2D drawing. Developers can take advantage of this to add great UI effects while maintaining optimal performance on high-resolution screens, even on phones. For example, developers can rely on accelerated scaling, rotation, and other 2D operations, as well as accelerated UI components such as TextureView and compositing modes such as filtering, blending, and opacity.

I'm not developer but it sounds like it's hardware accelerated

Reactions: zoomis

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The best thing about a Nexus, is the newest software... ALWAYS.

THAT is why I want/have always wanted a Nexus.

Add to that NFC, HD Super Amoled display, and an improved camera..... come on guys. This thing is a home run. Anyone that doesn't understand that should pass, and get the ZOMG!!! phone that will be rumored shortly.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Agreed. I'm not a huge gaming homer on my phone, but definitely want a smooth OS experience with the latest google support. Nexus basically gives you that availability going forward for a few years. Heck, they said even the Nexus S would receive ICS ahead of any other phones besides the Galaxy.

Reactions: oxymoron

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been watching a lot of videos and, this phone sure looks fully hardware-accelerated. I can't wait for some hands-on reviews vs. other phones.

firelightx

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hardware Acceleration wasn't talked about in the event. The event they were trying to keep to features your average joe could understand, so instead of saying "It supports hardware acceleration" they said "It moves amazingly smooth from one app to the next." etc. etc.

The proof that Hardware Acceleration is in came from the SDK that they released the next day. The SDK, of course, being the tools to tell developers how to get their apps ready for ICS. One of the lines they used specifically was something like "HWA is turned on for your app by default in ICS. If you should need it disable it for any reason, use this code."

There's a lot of technical improvements made to ICS that they didn't discuss, but the SDK proves their existence.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as how the OMAP 4470 is scheduled for release in the 4th quarter this year, it would have been a great time to show the new SoC in action.

Then the Galaxy Nexus would have shipped in Q2 2012. You can't just mash a new SoC into a phone and ship the thing in 6-8 weeks. We'll see the 4470s soon enough, in some of next summer's hottest phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: crzycrkr

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech