1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Default OMAP 4470?

You know looking over the official press release I noticed that they never officially state exactly which SoC they are using. They just say 1.2GHz dual core processor.

Its a long shot, but what if the NG is actually packing a OMAP 4470. That SoC has got some nifty new features compared to the 4460.
    1) It's got a SGX544 GPU which is 2x as powerful as the SGX540 (raw processing power)
    2) In addition to the dual core A9 processors its got a pair of low power arm processors that are used to offload work from the A9s. This can lower power consumption
    3) It's got a dedicated low power 2D graphics chip that can render all 2D UI elements without use of the SGX544 which again will lower power consumption.

To maximize the benefit of these added pieces of hardware the software (Android) would have to actively manage it at some level, but we know that Google worked very closely with TI when creating ICS so that's feasible.

Default Re: OMAP 4470?

I'm pretty sure that the GS has the 4460. I believe this has already been confirmed.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the GS has the 4460. I believe this has already been confirmed.
    At first, that's what I thought since pretty much every website was saying that. But I have yet to find anything directly from Google or Samsung that corroborates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Auzo View Post
    At first, that's what I thought since pretty much every website was saying that. But I have yet to find anything directly from Google or Samsung that corroborates it.
    You do have a good point. The only things I've seen is "1.2 ghz dual core" but I haven't seen the official spec name.

I'm sure someone will come in here soon and set the record straight. It would be cool to see a "latest" version of the OMAP versus what everyone else has the 4430 and 4460. Droid RAZR has a 4460 in it and that's a pretty recent phone, announced the same day as the GN...I'm sure the GN has the same.

I wouldn't mind something better though!

It's suppose to be a Next-Gen phone...but the only thing next-gen about it so far is ICS...hardware wise, it's not all that Next-gen, rather modest. Which is okay too!

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post
    ... Droid RAZR has a 4460 in it...
    RAZR has a 4430.

Quote Originally Posted by lakaw View Post
    RAZR has a 4430.
    Nope, 4460

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Auzo View Post
    You know looking over the official press release I noticed that they never officially state exactly which SoC they are using. They just say 1.2GHz dual core processor.

Its a long shot, but what if the NG is actually packing a OMAP 4470. That SoC has got some nifty new features compared to the 4460.
    1) It's got a SGX544 GPU which is 2x as powerful as the SGX540 (raw processing power)
    2) In addition to the dual core A9 processors its got a pair of low power arm processors that are used to offload work from the A9s. This can lower power consumption
    3) It's got a dedicated low power 2D graphics chip that can render all 2D UI elements without use of the SGX544 which again will lower power consumption.

To maximize the benefit of these added pieces of hardware the software (Android) would have to actively manage it at some level, but we know that Google worked very closely with TI when creating ICS so that's feasible.

While it would be a welcomed easter egg... highly unlikely

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

The press release that TIMN and others got said 4460.

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

From the article:
    "TI expects OMAP4470 devices to arrive in the first half of 2012 with sampling happening in the second half of 2011."

It's not in full production yet so there is no way it could be in the nexus.

No Chance for the 4470.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottatron View Post
    Nope, 4460

Followed your link and the first line under "Processor and memory" is:
    PROCESSOR TI OMAP4430

They changed it. Early yesterday it said 4460 and by the afternoon it had been changed to 4430. Don't think motorola knows what's in their own devices.

I don't see an issue with the 4460 Tbh. The blackberry play book has the 4430 and it plays 1080p flash in browser perfectly and can multitask like a beast. So if the 4460 is even a little better than the 4430 then sign me up!

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    They changed it. Early yesterday it said 4460 and by the afternoon it had been changed to 4430. Don't think motorola knows what's in their own devices.
    I can vouche... yesterday it did indeed say 4460