Nexus has a PenTile screen?

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The screen should be the least of anyones worries with this device. Samsung's screens are, IMHO one of the reasons Google went with them on the G-Nex.

I don't see why Samsung would put it's reputation on the line and introduce a "compromised" screen, especially on a device carrying the Nexus moniker.

Last edited:

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The screen should be the least of anyones worries with this device. Samsung's screens are, IMHO one of the reasons Google went with them on the G-Nex.

I don't see why Samsung would but it's reputation on the line and introduce a "compromised" screen, especially on a device carrying the Nexus moniker.

well....the other Nexus devices use pentile screens as well.

i just need a real world first hand view of the two phones (iphone 4s and galaxy nexus) next to each other to really get a good comparison between the screens.

i take one look at the iPhone 4S' Retina display, compared to the super amoled plus screen of my droid charge, and am always blown away at the difference (difference being 100x better in favor of the retina display).

i dont care about any of the other phones with their respective displays (qHD, amoled plus, etc). i only care about whether the galaxy nexus screen will be as good as the iPhone 4S' retina display.

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Here are some comparison shots between the Galaxy Nexus and Iphone 4S displays. these aren't high res or macro shots but they give us at least some kind of a comparison between the two displays.

thisismynext.com/2011/10/19/galaxy-nexus-vs-iphone-4s/

A few of the pictures
galaxy-nexus-iphone-4s907v.jpg

galaxy-nexus-iphone-4s901v.jpg

galaxy-nexus-iphone-4s903v.jpg

galaxy-nexus-iphone-4s905v.jpg

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This is hilarious for the fact that so many people who hated on the Bionic and said they weren't getting it "because of Pentile" (without knowing anything about it) and were waiting on the Nexus now get Pentile.

OH WAIT. We knew this phone was Pentile all along because it's a freakign HD SAMOLED. This isn't anything new.

Read the AnandTech and clam down. Nothing to see here...

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
This is hilarious for the fact that so many people who hated on the Bionic and said they weren't getting it "because of Pentile" (without knowing anything about it) and were waiting on the Nexus now get Pentile.

OH WAIT. We knew this phone was Pentile all along because it's a freakign HD SAMOLED. This isn't anything new.

Read the AnandTech and clam down. Nothing to see here...

I was one who hated on the Bionic for it being PenTile and I'm looking forward to seeing the PenTile display on the Nexus. A big reason is that I also realize that not all PenTile displays are the same (nor, in this case, will the screen resolutions/pixel density be the same either). I actually went to look at the display on the Bionic and could easily see the issues with Moto's pentile displays (also looked at the D3 and DX2 see them before the Bionic was even released). In addition, I also checked out the Fascinate and Nexus S for their pentile SAMOLED and the Charge and GS2 for their SAMOLED+ displays. While I strongly prefer the SAMOLED+ to the SAMOLED displays mainly due to the elimination of the pentile arrangement, I'm still anxious to see if it's as noticeable on an HD display. Either way though, I found with my own two eyes that I much prefer Samsung's pentile displays to Moto's.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
well....the other Nexus devices use pentile screens as well.

i just need a real world first hand view of the two phones (iphone 4s and galaxy nexus) next to each other to really get a good comparison between the screens.

i take one look at the iPhone 4S' Retina display, compared to the super amoled plus screen of my droid charge, and am always blown away at the difference (difference being 100x better in favor of the retina display).

i dont care about any of the other phones with their respective displays (qHD, amoled plus, etc). i only care about whether the galaxy nexus screen will be as good as the iPhone 4S' retina display.

I'm always a little stunned when I read something like this. How can anybody look at that tiny, last-gen LCD next to SAMOLED+ or even standard SAMOLED and think they are in any way comparable? I can't ever go back to LCD on a phone ever again, Sammy's screens are too ridiculously good looking.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
FYI: Only the RGBW pentile variety gives better battery life, because the white pixels are more efficient.

That's not correct - the RGBW variety is even better (due to white pixel gains), but on any two displays at the same size and resolution a PenTile screen of any sort has a lower number of subpixels than a non-PenTile grid, so it's still using less energy (assuming the display technology is otherwise equivalent, e.g. LCD to pentile LCD, and OLED to Pentile OLED).