ICS Question: Can the home screen/app screen be landscaped?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
One of the big annoyances of Gingerbread is that you cannot view the app icons or your homescreen in landscape view (which you can do in Honeycomb). Can you now do this on a phone with ICS?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
One of the big annoyances of Gingerbread is that you cannot view the app icons or your homescreen in landscape view (which you can do in Honeycomb). Can you now do this on a phone with ICS?

Hmm... that's a good question. I don't think they actually made mention or showed that. Given that it's supposed to bring everything together, I would hope so, although a phone is a little different from a tablet.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hmm... that's a good question. I don't think they actually made mention or showed that. Given that it's supposed to bring everything together, I would hope so, although a phone is a little different from a tablet.

Yeah, the weird thing is not one single demo has tried it (that I've seen).

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
not sure what you are talking about here but stock froyo would rotate to landscape on the main home screen, even if it doesnt, being an android phone im sure some dev could enable that feature. i personaly hated that. pulling your phone out, unlocking it and it being tilted...

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd imagine it won't do it automatically like honeycomb. Seems like an annoyance to be holding it and it switching from landscape to portrait and back again. I'd even venture to say no with the favorite icons row. We'll find out soon enough.

Mannysaurus

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it certainly can. Saw it in a GN hands on video someone posted on Youtube.

I can confirm this but at the moment it only seems to happen when you're in an app. So if you're on the home screen, it won't go into landscape at all. I'm sure that there'll be an option to allow this. There always is.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The homescreen and the app drawer were in landscape? Can you post a link?

I didn't bookmark it or anything, unfortunately. I'll try to track it down when I get a chance. If you 've got time & want a head start. I stumbled across it, using the mobile app. I searched "Galaxy Nexus Hands On", in the results, only watch the ones that feature a power control bar/widget near the homescreen. It's briefly shown from portrait mode (the power bar on top) width-wise. Then when auto rotated into landscape. The power bar shifts to the top of the screen, in lengthwise position. Granted, I haven't actively searched for it in other vids. It is kind of odd that it's been the only one I've noticed it in.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Since ICS is supposed to unify the tablet and smartphone lineages, it'd be awfully short-sighted for the home screen and app drawer to be locked into portrait -- especially since most Android tablets seem to be designed with a landscape-heavy focus.

But then again, I also consider the lack of an SD card slot to be somewhat short-sighted, so what do I know?

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's safe to say it's landscape capable at :50s

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CNiTBB2veA0#t=52s[/YT]

xAGx#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Ehh, not really a huge fan of landscape homescreens. I know its weird, but I just dont like the way they scroll sideways for some reason, I just dont like the look of it.

Maybe there will be an option to lock just the homescreen orientation.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes it can. I think I saw it on a video preview or video hands on from phone arene where they rotate the phone and I see it rotate. It was nice...i hope its true

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
From this video, it would appear that the homescreen does NOT do landscape: start watching at 2m 10 seconds
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GxYQAEJUTQ#t=123s[/YT]

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
That would be odd if it didn't. I am using Go Launcher on 2.2 and it landscapes perfectly.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.

anon(535989)

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
if you notice, the videos where it shows the launcher go to landscape, it has the old style buttons (like the ones on the leaked video of a nexus s running ice cream sandwich). all of the videos with the new style buttons, like these:

buttonsn.png

don't show the launcher go to landscape. sucks a bit, as i was pretty hype on getting a landscape launcher on stock vanilla android.

eric b

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma