To finally put an end to the complaints about the 5MP camera

adp192

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Every where I go, there is always a comment/ complaint about Galaxy Nexus' 'shabby 5MP' camera, both from droid fans and apple fans. This comment is almost always replied with the fact that megapixels does not count, that sensors and lenses are the most important in judging picture quality.

However, no one has real evidence that Galaxy Nexus' camera has a top of the range camera that can compete with 8MP shooters, until now.

GSMarena (I know, I always refer to these guys) has recently reviewed the iphone 4S, of which Apple claims to have the best camera in a smartphone. They had also released a preview of the Galaxy Nexus a couple of days ago and both of these include camera samples.

I then jumped into both the camera samples of both phones and surprise surprise, the Galaxy Nexus indeed competed very well against the iphone.

Check it out for yourself!

Samsung Galaxy Nexus hands-on: First look - GSMArena.com

iPhone 4S review: Fast 4ward - GSMArena.com

just to illustrate how similar they are:
gsmarena_008.jpg

Galaxy Nexus sample photo

gsmarena_001.jpg

IPhone 4s sample photo

luckily GSMarena took the shots for each phone almost at the exact same time, you can tell by the position of the cars. This is good so that no one can complain about how the lighting is different for each photo because they are literally the same.

Obviously the Nexus has the disadvantage of lower megapixel count and this is pretty evident with iphone producing sharper images when zoomed in. But do notice how both phones have almost the same amount of noise level, exposure and detail.

It may seem that the iphone is able to handle exposure better, with better contrast in bright areas, as also seen by This is my next's post (Galaxy Nexus vs. iPhone 4S comparison photos | This is my next...), and also that a light pink oversaturation mark is quite clearly apparent in some sample photos taken from the Nexus. But bear in mind that this is still a pre-production version of the Nexus and since this problem was also seen in Galaxy SII models, I would safely assume Samsung has done something to fix this.

From what I have seen, I think the iPhone will be better in low light scenarios and also the macro samples have turned out pretty great, and this is where the iPhone would triumph over other smartphones imo.

as for video, Im not much of a fan of video taking so I didn't pay too much attention to it. I did notice however that in the video sample, the Nexus is very choppy at certain points (take a look at the fluidity of the cars' movements) and also lighting is very unstable (look at the sky, nearing the end the colors went haywire)and also, the pink stain in the middle is still there. The iPhone 4s however does produce a more fluid video sample but I don't really think it's a noticeable difference unless you put the two together.

So what do you guys think? Have I provided enough evidence or am I just simply stating the obvious?

Last edited:

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Something screwed with the quality on the first pic lol doesn't sell your case... No offfense Im stoked for the gnex camera just uploaded terribly

Sent from my ADR6400L

adp192

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
oh really? they seem fine on my side. I did have troubles viewing the photos from the site myself, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Just go to each link and check out other photo samples, their zoom tool is also pretty good for comparison.

Like I said, nothing can be confirmed until the final version is released, I'm basically just doing something to pass the time haha.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
In those pictures, the GN has better color and clarity. Compare the yellow cab in both pictures, for example.
I'll also add that my 7yo 5MP HP camera took better pictures than my 8MP Incredible. MP don't matter, but other things do. I'm cautiously optimistic that the GN will have a fine camera. All the pictures and videos I have seen so far seem more than OK.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I like the first pic more....notice the clarity of the signs on the building in the center of the pic...but both are good.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Nice find, man. There was never a doubt in my mind that the Nexus would have a camera on-par with the best out there. Now I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure video-wise, the iPhone 4S can't take time lapse videos nor can it take video snapshots while recording. Its possible I'm wrong here, but from my overview of the iPhone, those things never got mentioned or they didn't stick with me.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link. That's one of best reviews I've seen so far showing off the camera and video features.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

seyhee0919

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Nice find, man. There was never a doubt in my mind that the Nexus would have a camera on-par with the best out there. Now I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure video-wise, the iPhone 4S can't take time lapse videos nor can it take video snapshots while recording. Its possible I'm wrong here, but from my overview of the iPhone, those things never got mentioned or they didn't stick with me.

pretty sure you're right...at least with stock camera app, no time lapse possible.

What the nexus post from GSMArena didn't focus on, however, were indoor/low-light shots. Granted, the iPhone 4S review didn't do that much either, but there was one shot indoors at least (shot in macro mode probably mind you but still). I know camera phones do jack-diddly indoors even with a good flash, but it'd be interesting to see how the nexus does.

Regardless, I'm a little more at ease with the Nexus's camera now....although I'm still not convinced "zero shutter lag" is necessarily a good thing if there is not an AF system that is just as fast. (and also that pink spot....did they ever resolve that in the GSIIs or is that just a permanent hardware flaw?)

Last edited:

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think that the point is that each camera is great for most uses. The fact that the GN has minimal shutter lag takes the cake. As icing, the GN can shoot both video and stills!

4S wins the resolution battle while GN wins the camera war.

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
4S wins hands down. Especially if you've seen it in low light conditions. Just wow, for a phone camera.

But GN's camera isn't bad. Given that it wasn't even made to be a super camera phone in the first place (unlike the iPhone 4S).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't see what you all are seeing. The 4S pics look better in every instance than the GN to me. I see more light, more detail and clarity, and better color accuracy with the 4S, not to mention overall sharpness of the photo.

Note saying the GN is bad, just that the 4S camera is great and to me is clearly better in these GSM review photos. We'll see when the final prod camera comes out and more pics are taken, but I bet the 4S has the superior camera. And it has nothing, repeat nothing, to do with the 5MP, 8MP difference ..

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
4S wins hands down. Especially if you've seen it in low light conditions. Just wow, for a phone camera.

But GN's camera isn't bad. Given that it wasn't even made to be a super camera phone in the first place (unlike the iPhone 4S).

I agree that the 4s shots look better, but not by much, these are both great cameras and I think if you owned either you could safely leave that point and shoot at home

nyyankees8175

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
the I phone 4s clearly does take a better picture comparing the photos and the lines. Everything looks very pronounced but!!! the gn does look pretty good as well. I would compare there photo with the i phone 4 not the s which is still a very decent camera and only 5mp as well

pawdog

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Just so we are clear. The quality of the picture has nothing whatsoever to do with the megapixel count. If the iphone picture is better or worse it is not because of the megapixel count. Megapixels only dictate the native size of the picture not the quality.

Not only are megapixels not everything, on a cell phone camera where 99 percent of the pictures will never leave a computer screen, megapixels are not a factor at all.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Just so we are clear. The quality of the picture has nothing whatsoever to do with the megapixel count. If the iphone picture is better or worse it is not because of the megapixel count. Megapixels only dictate the native size of the picture not the quality.

Not only are megapixels not everything, on a cell phone camera where 99 percent of the pictures will never leave a computer screen, megapixels are not a factor at all.

Agreed MP mean nothing unless you want digital zoom or are planning to blow up the pictures.

The iphone shot is better because it has a better exposure, it shows more details in the shadows than the nexus (maybe this can be adjusted?). The iphone also appears to have better white balance, but this can be adjusted.

Mannysaurus

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, the i*hone takes better pictures. But, I'm not a photographer nor will I be using my pictures to put posters on my wall. At the most I'll be uploading some pictures to social networking sites. Oh, well. These iOS vs. Android wars are only taking place over the Interwebz. In real life my friends and I just tease each other on the features our phones have.

"Oh, your phone froze? iOS FTW!"
"Oh, YOUR phone froze and won't turn off with a hard reset? Enjoy your 4-day battery life"