Face Unlock working VERY well!

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was looking up information about the Nexus capability of face unlock, just wondering how well it really does work. After all, some of these things can be so cumbersome that it actually takes longer for users to unlock their phones with these special features.

HOwever, SlashGear has a great demo of it on their website. It works within a second, faster than putting in a code, and more convenient. Here is the link:

It's the third video down, at around 6:00 when he starts setting up face recognition.

Galaxy Nexus Hands-on - SlashGear

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
In one of the interviews floating around out there a Google engineer said that they actually had to slow down the facial recognition unlock, because the initial implementation worked so quickly that users thought it wasn't actually doing anything, so they didn't use it. UX psychology is a funny thing.

anon(392846)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
In one of the interviews floating around out there a Google engineer said that they actually had to slow down the facial recognition unlock, because the initial implementation worked so quickly that users thought it wasn't actually doing anything, so they didn't use it. UX psychology is a funny thing.

I read that too. Fascinating.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I read that too. Fascinating.

I have a hard time believing a line like that. People are smart enough to figure out that it doesnt work for Sally, but does for Martha. Maybe that's why fignerprint scanners always sucked so bad...they slowed them down so people would know they were working /s

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a hard time believing a line like that. People are smart enough to figure out that it doesnt work for Sally, but does for Martha. Maybe that's why fignerprint scanners always sucked so bad...they slowed them down so people would know they were working /s

I believe it. I can see a lot of people obsessing over how "their phone unlocks too fast and it must not be fully analyzing as deep as it should." I mean...have you read some of the stuff people choose to gripe about?

Edit: me no type so well

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I believe it. I can see a lot of people obsessing over how "their phone unlocks too fast and it must not be fully analyzing as deep as it should." I mean...have you read some of the stuff people choose to gripe about?

Edit: me no type so well

You are absolutely right. lol. People complain about the things they should not be complaining about.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I hope that's just a rumor. Intentionally slowing something down like that deters from the elegance of the device IMO. It's about time we don't have to wait for things to happen anymore, and in this case we shouldn't have to.

If this is true, it would be nice if we had the option of using the speedier algorithm, however I highly doubt that will be an option.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I hope that's just a rumor. Intentionally slowing something down like that deters from the elegance of the device IMO. It's about time we don't have to wait for things to happen anymore, and in this case we shouldn't have to.

If this is true, it would be nice if we had the option of using the speedier algorithm, however I highly doubt that will be an option.

It makes sense to slow it down. if you are an older person who doesn't know the difference from turning off your monitor and turning off your computer, you night be a little disbelieving that its working. Especially with this "black magic new technology like scanning your face to unlock a phone."

Working as a network admin I deal with it a lot. If people don't get a pop up confirmation or if a download goes too fast, they get scared if it actually worked or not (which makes me get even more calls). Not trying to bash, just offering my 2 cents :)

Edit: I agree, an option would be nice. Maybe a ROM will unlock a fast recognition system?

Sent from an app that you can probably guess.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be the same reason UI's incorporate transitions from page to page. Human nature expects to actually see the device "working". It's easier for them to wrap their brain around it.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone using the face unlock?

I am trying it out and it is working fantastically. The only troubles I have had so far is trying to do it in really low light. I figured that it would be a novelty that sounded neat in theory, but in practice sucked. I was wrong.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone using the face unlock?

I am trying it out and it is working fantastically. The only troubles I have had so far is trying to do it in really low light. I figured that it would be a novelty that sounded neat in theory, but in practice sucked. I was wrong.
Yep. I wouldn't be surprised to see device manufacturers start to put an LED flash on the front for the front facing camera. Although that'd be a bit annoying unless it's really dim.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone has seen if wearing glasses or not will interfere with facial recognition, or if that doesn't matter?

EDIT: And, just to be clear, I mean if you are wearing glasses when having it learn your face, if it will still recognize you without them later, or vice versa.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone has seen if wearing glasses or not will interfere with facial recognition, or if that doesn't matter?

EDIT: And, just to be clear, I mean if you are wearing glasses when having it learn your face, if it will still recognize you without them later, or vice versa.

I wear glasses and set up my facial recognition with the glasses on and took them off to test and it unlocked just as quick. My glasses did not seem to make a difference.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

I set mine up without glasses on, and it works great with glasses on. I thought it would be a novelty too. But I use it every time.
But i disagree if they slowed it down. I find myself waiting for the camera to initialize... maybe just a second, but waiting nonetheless

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

I was concerned about this myself as I wear glasses some days and contacts on others. I can confirm that I set it up with my glasses on and it works with or without them. Very pleased with it!

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
it is touch and go for me. I have used the "Improve" function at least 10 times to make it faster and more reliable. It really seems to be picky about lighting. with/without glasses has been exactly the same for me.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Been using face unlock since day one and like it. It does take a bit longer if it doesn't work and you have to type your pin instead. All in all works better than expected.