Should i think about buying this?

Alp

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
First I just want people to know that the way i decide if i should buy something or not relies a lot on other peoples opinion and if I still want it even if they tell me not to.

Atm. I got a Desire HD that I don't plan on rooting that i bought about a year ago and it seems like I haven't had it for long enough to use money on a new phone.

The battery of the DHD usually lasts most of a day if I don't use it too much (i usually listen to music for about 2 hours a day with a Bluetooth headset) and I'm probably not gonna buy the phone if the battery isn't at least a little better than the DHD.

So whats your opinion, is the phone good enough compared to my current phone or should I wait? I like the idea of getting the updates first instead of waiting and hoping for HTC to actually release an update and I have no clue if they will update the DHD a year after it was released.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
There is NOTHING, I repeat... NOTHING comparable to a pure google experience on Android. I think HTC does a good job with its software, but it takes way too much power to run, and the battery life hurts. That and the use of the Qualcomm processor, which also happens to draw more power than just about any other processor out there. At first I thought it was just sense, but after seeing the LG handsets carry Qualcomm and their battery life is also subpar, then QUalcomm has something to do with it.

Anyway, the Desire HD is a great phone, but I have owned an Evo 4G (which i did not like very much), an Epic 4G, a Samsung Fascinate, an HTC Thunderbolt, an LG Revolution and a Nexus S (my job allows me to have the capability to own these many devices... but not at the same time obviously). The best phone I have owned is the Nexus S, closely followed by the EPic 4G. However, the Nexus S was very unique because I experience ZERO issues with it. Hardly any lag in the time that I had it, smoth experience, quick updates to apps, and it was just a great overall device with great battery life and quick response.

I think this has to do with the Google experience. The Nexus devices are the only ones that will give you that, which is why I am from now on only going to purchase Nexus devices as long as I am on Android.

Since battery life is important to you, I will say that the best way to get stellar battery life out of the nexus is to turn off LTE. Use 3G, most people are happy with that. If you turn off LTE, your battery life will most likely double your Desire's.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Since battery life is important to you, I will say that the best way to get stellar battery life out of the nexus is to turn off LTE. Use 3G, most people are happy with that. If you turn off LTE, your battery life will most likely double your Desire's.

That's like saying here is your Ferrari, but only drive it during the rush hours between 12pm-5pm.
What's the point of having an LTE device if you're deprived from it?! I say get yourself an extra battery, or carry a charger, and enjoy to the fullest the fastest LTE network in the US on one of the fastest smartphones money can buy.

FYI Nexus will probably have Samsung's own CMC220 LTE baseband or its variant, with the similar performance to Droid Charge. That paired with OMAP and pure ICS should be a really sweet combination.

Alp

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
LTE isn't really relevant for me since the version we get in Denmark is a bit cheaper but comes without LTE and atm we only got 1 carrier that i know off that has"4G" but i'm fine with 3G.

If anyone else got any opinions i would like to hear them, but thanks for the 2 replies so far.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
That's like saying here is your Ferrari, but only drive it during the rush hours between 12pm-5pm.
What's the point of having an LTE device if you're deprived from it?! I say get yourself an extra battery, or carry a charger, and enjoy to the fullest the fastest LTE network in the US on one of the fastest smartphones money can buy.

FYI Nexus will probably have Samsung's own CMC220 LTE baseband or its variant, with the similar performance to Droid Charge. That paired with OMAP and pure ICS should be a really sweet combination.

I feel the same way, Why have a smart phone when you disable automatic data sync?!

Alp

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I feel the same way, Why have a smart phone when you disable automatic data sync?!

atm i have my phone set to check for emails etc. once every 30 minutes when not using wi-fi to save battery and it works fine for me.

4G etc. is only just starting to appear in Denmark and I don't plan on changing carrier just to get it faster.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
First I just want people to know that the way i decide if i should buy something or not relies a lot on other peoples opinion and if I still want it even if they tell me not to.

Atm. I got a Desire HD that I don't plan on rooting that i bought about a year ago and it seems like I haven't had it for long enough to use money on a new phone.

The battery of the DHD usually lasts most of a day if I don't use it too much (i usually listen to music for about 2 hours a day with a Bluetooth headset) and I'm probably not gonna buy the phone if the battery isn't at least a little better than the DHD.

So whats your opinion, is the phone good enough compared to my current phone or should I wait? I like the idea of getting the updates first instead of waiting and hoping for HTC to actually release an update and I have no clue if they will update the DHD a year after it was released.

Battery life should be fine for you. We are uber-paranoid about battery life here stateside because the current LTE offerings available have horrid battery life. Necessity has been in undervolting the processor and letting beautiful displays set to a minimum backlighting. I'm personally hoping the bigger battery in this thing campared to my current phone and better screen technology could change things... but i honestly believe it will be a longshot. Pure Google and Sense are completely different experiences. I have had 2 Sense phones and both I have ended up running AOSP variant ROMs when they were made available.

Alp

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
No, absolutely not. You should not think for a second about buying this phone.

JUST GO OUT AND BUY IT

Seriously, what is there to think about?

well I have only had my current phone for a year, I usually have them for at least 2 or 3 but smart phones change pretty quick and I don't like the thought of buying a phone each year because they add something I really want etc.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
well I have only had my current phone for a year, I usually have them for at least 2 or 3 but smart phones change pretty quick and I don't like the thought of buying a phone each year because they add something I really want etc.

If it aint broke, don't fix it... I have my reasons for forking out the unsubsidized price for it... its a mix of want and need. I can't run AOSP on my phone and use my work e-mail because its rooted, and no way I know of to get around it. It will be a great phone, but the desire HD isn't a slouch by any means and will get ICS through developer support if thats what you're looking for.

Alp

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
If it aint broke, don't fix it... I have my reasons for forking out the unsubsidized price for it... its a mix of want and need. I can't run AOSP on my phone and use my work e-mail because its rooted, and no way I know of to get around it. It will be a great phone, but the desire HD isn't a slouch by any means and will get ICS through developer support if thats what you're looking for.

yeah i prefer to pay for phones unsubscribed too,

the problem with the Desire HD seems to be that the screen takes about 90% battery on a day where I surf a bit or check my email on the train and this usually means I have to charge it before I'm even home, I just want it to last at least and day and get some software updates and I'm sorta tired of HTC's Sense updates being limited to new phones even when leeked Roms show that they can run on older phones without any real problems. I just want a phone that gets the updates and if it has to be limited it should be because the hardware is getting old and not because the manufacturer wants people to buy new phones, who would honestly buy a new phone 6 months after they bought a brand new phone just to get their software updates and new features.