Headphone Jack

BKHAWK3

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Was the headphone jack put on the bottom of phone for purely cosmetic reason?

galaxy-nexus-hands-on-13-AndroidCommunity-540x498.jpg

Last edited:

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Are you kidding? That's exactly where a headphone jack ought to be. If the headphone jack is on the bottom, that means it will be pointing upward when it's in your pocket. And if the phone is sitting on a desk in front of you, or in your hand, it means the headphone jack will be pointing toward you. Basically, it ensures that the headphone jack will be closest to your head, which is where it ought to be. It means they paid attention to usability when they designed the hardware.

I'm glad to hear they got it right!

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Ultimately it won't make much of a difference to me. My G1 didn't even have a headphone jack (you used the usb socket and an adaptor) so I carried that top down in my pocket, My Desire has it at the top so that gets carried top up. since the notification LED is on the bottom too it kind of makes sense, you have the phone bottom up due to the jack and can also see notification without pulling the phone all the way out.

Last edited:

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Are you kidding? That's exactly where a headphone jack ought to be. If the headphone jack is on the bottom, that means it will be pointing upward when it's in your pocket. And if the phone is sitting on a desk in front of you, or in your hand, it means the headphone jack will be pointing toward you. Basically, it ensures that the headphone jack will be closest to your head, which is where it ought to be. It means they paid attention to usability when they designed the hardware.

I'm glad to hear they got it right!

Actually you're right, I never thought of it that way.

Sent from my IHO CM7.1'd Optimus V using Tapatalk

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree, my phone is always top down in my pocket, and the most common reason I have to replace my headphones is damage to the wire near the plug from the stress of that. This is awesome. Apple does the same thing on the iPod Touch, but not the iPhone for some reason.

Alp

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I really don't get why so few phones have this, my Desire HD got it and I can clearly see the reason for this from a logical standpoint even through i barely ever use wired headphones.

Not sure why HTC went back to placing it on the top.

koolbon

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's great. I don't have to put the phone in my pocket top up, and pull it out and turn turn it around to do anything!!

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
And, if you DO put your phone top down, pocket lint and fluff wont get jammed in it. #Win

Sent from an app that you can probably guess.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh great. So I cant stand my phone up anymore when using headphones on skype. Or leave it standing up portrait on my treadmill's ledge. s,h

So they changed this functionality only for pocket pull convenience...riiiiiiight...

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh great. So I cant stand my phone up anymore when using headphones on skype. Or leave it standing up portrait on my treadmill's ledge. s,h

So they changed this functionality only for pocket pull convenience...riiiiiiight...

Heh. Yeah, if they really did do it for pocket convenience, they clearly overlooked several other situations in the process.

For my part, my phone is always topside up in my pocket. I hold it topside up while handling it in portrait, then flip it around along the vertical axis (so that it's rightside up and the screen is facing out) and slip it into my pocket.

BitGambit

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
This works perfect for me, I'm glad it's on the bottom of the phone.. If I dock my phone, there's no reason to use the headphones as I'm just using the speaker instead.. If it is important to me, I'll just be sure to use a dock with a line out.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Bottom of the phone will not be a problem for me 1/2 of the time. The other 1/2 when this will be a problem is when I have it in an armband to workout. Hopefully the screen will rotate if I put the phone upside down in the armband.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Based on the phone's design it had to be placed at the bottom.
The phone is slimmer at the top, so therefore the headphone jack could not be placed there.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I like it. I bring my dock with me for when i run on the treadmill... id rather watch netflix when i run than listen to music. No matter the situation, this is better than placing a charging port on the side of the phone. Thats what i find more annoying than anything else on my bolt.

rabaker07

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.. this will be bad on long trips in the car when I usually have it in the cup holder connected to the aux input and usb for power. I'll have the phone upside down and Nav will be useless other than voice. Hopefully the screen will flip when upside down for this reason alone...

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I'd bet far more people pocket their phone than use it on a treadmill and skype ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad