Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mannysaurus
  • 1 Post By Adrynalyne
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nobody is Talking About Hardware Acceleration and Battery Life?

One of them is the Hardware Acceleration for the GUI. That's a pretty damn big deal. It's what allows things to be so smooth on the screen. I don't see many people talking about this feature. It's one of the more exciting things to have been introduced in to Android.

The second one and arguably the more interesting one, is battery life. Are there no new features in ICS that allow for improved battery life? What features are there that allow for better battery life in ICS and the OMAP 4460? I haven't heard anyone talking much about this and I think it would be something that would be worth looking into.

Any ideas or thoughts? Why is no one really talking about this?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: There are two things I don't see much people talking about. W

There's actually hardware acceleration for both the UI and the browser. That is indeed a pretty damn big deal and I'm also surprised that it's not being talked about. This is, by far, the biggest achievement in Android history (in my opinion). As for battery life, I don't think anyone is 100% sure about this. I'm hoping it'll be good but even if it's just moderate I'll still buy this phone. Motorola comes out with a "flagship" phone and releases another beast weeks later?

Nope.apk
    Lucki likes this.

I don't think there's any question how important hardware acceleration will be with this phone. One of the main things I kept telling people who would say the Galaxy S2 was the be-all-end-all (and it's damn good phone) is that it was only scratching the surface on how great a Samsung/Android phone could be. I think one of the main complaints I hear about Android is that it isn't "fluid enough" like iOS. I think there will be a lot of changed minds after the Galaxy Nexus comes out.

As far as battery life is concerned, I'd like to compare it to the Galaxy S2 again. Being able to utilize both cores with a power efficient processor like the OMAP 4460 will make a difference. Though highly criticized, the pentile choice for the screen is going to save battery. I'm sure there's some other things I'm missing, but I would venture to say that battery life is going to be improved over the Galaxy S2 (4.3 or 4.5). The only real question is how it will respond to having an LTE radio. I'm still holding out that they'll increase the battery size to 1900 mah with Verizon's version to compensate since there has been no mention yet on the different dimensions of the LTE version nor the battery size.

Hardware acceleration is a big deal, people just cant look past the GPU. As far as battery life goes, BMX said ICS is better. Time will tell.

Hopefully this phone equals to my BlackBerry Bold 9700 or even succeeds it. I am looking into this phone for my next phone but BBM withdraws is going to get to me.

Default Re: Nobody is Talking About Hardware Acceleration and Battery Lif

I think it's good that people are not talking about the barredy life because that means its at least not bad. If it was bad, I think a lot of people would be talking about it.

ROM
    Bugless Beast

At least in theory, ICS could improve battery life because it allows for garbage collection on the second core. So it may make more efficient use of dual core and other multiple core chipsets.

Brandon
    Brandon
    Now using God's Phone

ROM
    4.0.x

No one talk about these things because the phone isn't out yet.

Once it's out, I'd bet the the first thing that people will expect is a smooth UI. The second thing will be reasonable battery life. Both Samsung and Google know this, so I can't wait to hear about people's opinions on both issues.
    Droids!

Global Posts
    580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by lengendmk View Post
    Hopefully this phone equals to my BlackBerry Bold 9700 or even succeeds it. I am looking into this phone for my next phone but BBM withdraws is going to get to me.
    I used to own a 9700...and androids have surpassed them for a LONG time now...Even the new 9900 that is coming out for ATT(what I have) is old tech now....
    Alp

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I think it's good that people are not talking about the barredy life because that means its at least not bad. If it was bad, I think a lot of people would be talking about it.
    could just as well be the opposite, there were some rumors before the release that the reason it was really delayed was because of barredy problems.

If the battery life isn't better than my current phone it would be a reason for me not to buy it.
    Alp

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    could just as well be the opposite, there were some rumors before the release that the reason it was really delayed was because of barredy problems.

If the battery life isn't better than my current phone it would be a reason for me not to buy it.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jflexe99 View Post
    I used to own a 9700...and androids have surpassed them for a LONG time now...Even the new 9900 that is coming out for ATT(what I have) is old tech now....
    wow, really? I used a 9700 at one point, and enjoyed 4+ days on heavy usage, which just destroys any battery life I've seen on any android phone. shoot, if you're using an android that can even compete with a blackberry in terms of battery life, I want me one of those..
    Account Deactivated

Global Posts
    1,822 Global Posts

Small screens on Blackberry tend to help with battery life.

That and the general unenjoyable experience makes you want to use the phone as little as possible
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Won't GPU acceleration help battery life? It means the CPU won't be wasting cycles rendering, instead the GPU will be doing it, which is exactly what it's there for.
    Now using God's Phone

ROM
    4.0.x

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post
    Nobody is Talking About Hardware Acceleration and Battery Life
    That's because we've talked about it and both will be better than they've ever been... on a Nexus product.