Is this excitement normal for launches?

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Is the excitement over the GN the MOST anticipation seen over a Android-based phone from an AC perspective? I've only been around since September and can't tell if the GN excitement is fever level or not.

From an Average Joe perspective, I now know TWO people IRL who are aware of the GN launch... which is two more than I've ever known to even KNOW about Android phones. Even though I'm anxious for the Verizon launch, I'm more excited to see if regular people will awaken to the GN...

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Haha, ya this is pretty standard fare for all new launches of flagship phones. It's kind of sad really :p

dapercy

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Is the excitement over the GN the MOST anticipation seen over a Android-based phone from an AC perspective? I've only been around since September and can't tell if the GN excitement is fever level or not.

From an Average Joe perspective, I now know TWO people IRL who are aware of the GN launch... which is two more than I've ever known to even KNOW about Android phones. Even though I'm anxious for the Verizon launch, I'm more excited to see if regular people will awaken to the GN...

Multiple people I work with are waiting on this phone. I think the excitement is greater for GN.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon puts the same marketing force behind the GN as it does the Droid phones, the excitement will be huge. Most every average Joe I know calls Android phones Droids, showing that Verizon is the only reason many people even know Android exists.

Sent from my Google Nexus S

Reactions: kcls

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The Excitement Factor

Today, I realized something.... I became a LOT less excited about the Galaxy Nexus. Why? Because I have no idea what's happening.

As much as I HATE to bring this up, Apple has this one right. They announce something, and have it out within a week or two. That makes them money because the product is released while people are still excited and willing to pay huge amounts of money for it.

Why can't anyone else understand this???!!!!

It has been over a week and we have heard nothing about launch dates. The most we have heard is a "sign-up" page from verizon, and that was only today.

I am taking a deep breath, I know it's coming. Yes, yes, yes. But my point is that they let excitement die off. Mine was pretty strong, and now I am a lot less excited. When I hear some good news, I may become as excited as I was.

Also, this huge gaps of time allow people to doubt the product:

1 day after announcemet: we see rumors of a delay due to the radio not working properly.
3 days: rumors of bad battery life and design issues
5 days: Pentile display comes up and people are now saying "i'm not buying it."
6 days: Gorilla Glass found not to be on the phone and people get upset.

etc.... See my point? These dates are not accurate, of course, but the point is that the longer we wait, the less people will buy it, whether it be for some lack of excitement, or news they didn't understand. Look at pentile, for example, people say negative things about it BEFORE EVEN SEEING IT.

They need to set a release date, and fast. (boy am I glad the announcement wasn't on the 10th of October like it was supposed to be.)

Yadao

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: The Excitement Factor

Good point. I'm sure this tactic gets Apple a few more initial impulse sales, but I think in general it doesn't make that big of a difference. Marketing for devices doesn't usually start until after the launch. The vast majority doesn't even know about the product until then. Even then, most who buy do so without scrutinizing it as much as the people on these forums do before purchasing.

Some sales of the Galaxy Nexus might have been lost over people losing their excitement due to extra the time to consider the "negatives", but in reality it's just that many less that would have inevitably been returned (if what they had considered negatives held true). That's good for Samsung.

I for one am still just as excited for this phone as I was when I watched it being announced live. A short wait isn't gonna ruin that for me. Nor will reading complaints posted by people who have yet to experience the phone themselves. I've seen the unveiling, the specs list, and the hands on videos. I want this phone... and I'll have it with an extra scoop of excitement sandwiched in between .

Last edited:

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

When it gets closer to Nov.10 and we actually start seeing some Verizon-branded GN Unboxing & Reviews on YouTube everyone should feel better. ;)

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I find that my excitement turns into anger when dealing with phones that haven't come out yet, for the fact that carriers and companies alike won't say anything about details, release dates, or anything for that matter. Feels bad :/ But I always find myself trudging through the times and getting it anyways.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I work with with people that have nothing but Apple products and swear by them. Most even have it down to the levels of having big and little Apple stickers representing their families on their cars. I sit in my office, lock my door and curl up in a ball on iPhone release days. Now that the GN is coming out, I secretly put Android backgrounds on everyones computer when they leave their desktop for a couple minutes, then ninja my way back like nothing happened. Yeah, I get pretty excited :D

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

I feel like this is something a lot of companies making neat gadgets do; unveil a new product, give some minor details about it, then not release much info at all for weeks or months. I get that for the majority of consumers, it's not a big deal, but for us gadget nerds that want to know about it right this second, it's pretty frustrating, heh.

As a gamer, this happens a lot with new consoles/ handhelds. Early last year, Nintendo unveiled the 3DS, and we didn't really get any kind of launch details until very early this year. Earlier this year, they also unveiled their new home console, the Wii U, but haven't said anything about when it's coming out, or how much it will cost. Sony officially unveiled the PlayStation Vita earlier this year, and while they announced a price point, they still never said anything about release date (for the US) up until a few weeks ago.

I just wish companies could wait to unveil a device until they can properly peg down a release date and price point. I'd like to see a presentation like last week's Nexus one, where they end by saying "It'll be released on this date, for this price". Let leaked specs/ photos do the hype until the official unveiling; it's better than going "Here's this cool new device! It's coming soon!", and then keeping quiet for weeks.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site

I feel like this is something a lot of companies making neat gadgets do; unveil a new product, give some minor details about it, then not release much info at all for weeks or months. I get that for the majority of consumers, it's not a big deal, but for us gadget nerds that want to know about it right this second, it's pretty frustrating, heh.

As a gamer, this happens a lot with new consoles/ handhelds. Early last year, Nintendo unveiled the 3DS, and we didn't really get any kind of launch details until very early this year. Earlier this year, they also unveiled their new home console, the Wii U, but haven't said anything about when it's coming out, or how much it will cost. Sony officially unveiled the PlayStation Vita earlier this year, and while they announced a price point, they still never said anything about release date (for the US) up until a few weeks ago.

I just wish companies could wait to unveil a device until they can properly peg down a release date and price point. I'd like to see a presentation like last week's Nexus one, where they end by saying "It'll be released on this date, for this price". Let leaked specs/ photos do the hype until the official unveiling; it's better than going "Here's this cool new device! It's coming soon!", and then keeping quiet for weeks.

If companies did this we wouldn't have this forum, these conversations, speculations, anxieties or excitement.

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site

... Apple has this one right. They announce something, and have it out within a week or two. That makes them money because the product is released while people are still excited and willing to pay huge amounts of money for it.

Why can't anyone else understand this???!!!!...

Agreed 100%. Samsung/Google meet the Palm Pre. We all know how that turned out...

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Don't expect a large ad campaign from vzw. They have 2 new 4g Droids coming out this holiday season. The razr and D4 will sell more then nexus.plus there's the new HTC 4g coming out. As vzw stated the Droid brand is there top tier phones and will get bigger push
If Verizon puts the same marketing force behind the GN as it does the Droid phones, the excitement will be huge. Most every average Joe I know calls Android phones Droids, showing that Verizon is the only reason many people even know Android exists.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Today, I realized something.... I became a LOT less excited about the Galaxy Nexus. Why? Because I have no idea what's happening.

As much as I HATE to bring this up, Apple has this one right. They announce something, and have it out within a week or two. That makes them money because the product is released while people are still excited and willing to pay huge amounts of money for it.

Why can't anyone else understand this???!!!!

It has been over a week and we have heard nothing about launch dates. The most we have heard is a "sign-up" page from verizon, and that was only today.

I am taking a deep breath, I know it's coming. Yes, yes, yes. But my point is that they let excitement die off. Mine was pretty strong, and now I am a lot less excited. When I hear some good news, I may become as excited as I was.

Also, this huge gaps of time allow people to doubt the product:

1 day after announcemet: we see rumors of a delay due to the radio not working properly.
3 days: rumors of bad battery life and design issues
5 days: Pentile display comes up and people are now saying "i'm not buying it."
6 days: Gorilla Glass found not to be on the phone and people get upset.

etc.... See my point? These dates are not accurate, of course, but the point is that the longer we wait, the less people will buy it, whether it be for some lack of excitement, or news they didn't understand. Look at pentile, for example, people say negative things about it BEFORE EVEN SEEING IT.

They need to set a release date, and fast. (boy am I glad the announcement wasn't on the 10th of October like it was supposed to be.)

For every person that says they are not buying it because of "rumored problem a" (battery sucks, Pentile sucks) or "fact b" (no sd card, no gorilla glass), I just think, "Great! One less person standing in front of me waiting to buy this phone."

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for others, but this is the most excited I've been about a launch since...the DX I guess (at the time I was using a BlackBerry Storm and the DX was like the hottest thing on the planet). There have been lots of good phone since then, and certainly I gazed longingly at the Nexus S when it launched, and the original Atrix seemed cool, although perhaps not living up to its hype. But the Galaxy Nexus and especially ICS is the real deal, and it's the largest overhaul of Android since it launched.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

Why do I not see them doing that? Cause verizon isn't happy if they cant stuff V-cast up your craw against your will?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech