Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Custom

Default (Confirmed) Multicolor Notification LED

It's been confirmed that there's a hidden notification LED in the bottom bezel, but not much was said about it. A picture of it glowing green was very briefly shown at the unveiling event and that was it. I've read some places that it's a multicolored RBG LED, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Has anybody seen it in any videos or has it been confirmed anywhere? I'd love to see this implemented. It was one of my favorite features of the Nexus One's design

EDIT: lyk13 posted this video demonstrating the colors of the LED. Be sure to go and thank his post here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post1397473

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VshvpiOAhIQ&feature=player_embedded[/YT]
    Last edited by Yadao; 11-13-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Default Re: Multicolor Notification LED

Im really curious to this as well. I think its great to be able to set certain colors to certain contacts on other devices.

As more hands on videos come up hopefully one will show us if its multicolored.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I would love multicolored as well... all of my phones have had 2 colors only
    Androidoholic

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

I would be very happy with multicolored. There was a hands on video but I didn't see any notification light on in the whole video. But in the end I just hope it has one, can't image not having one for some reason. Just a little stupid light, but so important to me :P
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Custom

Found this picture on GSM Arena's website

It looks to be glowing purple. It might just be full spectrum multicolor after all.

I'm not saying 100% it is, but it's looking good.

Original picture location
    Last edited by Yadao; 10-30-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Thanked by:

ROM
    4.0.4 leak

Quote Originally Posted by Yadao View Post
    Found this picture on GSM Arena's website

Click to view quoted image

It looks to be glowing purple. I might just be full spectrum multicolor after all.

I'm not saying 100% it is, but it's looking good.

Original picture location
    Since in some other pics I've seen (like one from in the announcement pointing out a hidden notification LED, glowing green) my guess is it will be multicolored. I certainly hope so - setting different colors for texts vs. emails and such is very convenient

ROM
    Bugless Beast

If it's a full multi-color LED I will buy this phone so fast I might accidentally forget to pay for it before walking out. Anyway, I read a post somewhere that BlackManX confirmed it has a multi-color LED, so all the signs so far are pretty positive.

Brandon
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Custom

What gets me is the fact that no one who has access to a GN hasn't confirmed this.

EDIT : ^ Oh, he has?

That just looks sexy. Not only do I want to be able to set custom colors for the type of notification, but also for the contact the notification is from. BerryBuzz did this on the BlackBerry and it was very nice.

I think I remember seeing that, which I paid no attention to when I was playing with the SGN prototype. I can grab another look at it. Will update you guys.

To be frank, I have totally omitted the notification LED from my head since I last used the HTC Desire.

Be nice to know if its an important notification or something else. Not that I'm lazy but sometimes the phone is just out of arms reach while I'm starring at a flash notification wondering what it could be.....hmm OK I'm lazy....

Will closely follow this thread. Coming from an iPhone, this is probably what I miss the most.

I still remember my first "color screen phone" it came with multicolored notification LED and polyphonic ringtones. lol.

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

I'm concerned that it will be difficult to see. It doesn't look easy, but we'll see. Coming from a captivate, and light is a good light.

Only thing I loved about blackberry was the multicolored notification light. Great feature for the GN

Quote Originally Posted by bjames2785 View Post
    Only thing I loved about blackberry was the multicolored notification light. Great feature for the GN
    Yeah, when I jumped from BB to the Droid X, I was sad that it didn't have a multicolored notification light. When I had my BB, I had emails, texts, calendar stuff, and incoming calls all come in as different colors so I knew what I got a glance at the phone.

I'm hoping for one here in the Nexus!
    Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones

ROM
    Bugless Beast

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonOak View Post
    Yeah, when I jumped from BB to the Droid X, I was sad that it didn't have a multicolored notification light. When I had my BB, I had emails, texts, calendar stuff, and incoming calls all come in as different colors so I knew what I got a glance at the phone.

That's exactly what I've been doing with my OG Droid and now the Droid Bionic. I really don't want to go without it.

Brandon

Just tested, the notification LED blinks about every 8 seconds. It's mainly a white slow blinking light, can see that there are other colors within the white but...mostly it's still a white led. Tested using google talk as I do not have a SIM card for the prototype.

Does this help?
    Thanked by 2:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ROM
    Custom

Any info helps. White is a good sign since, when it's involving light, its the presence of all colors. I wouldn't say it's confirmation, but definitely a good sign.

Last edited by Yadao; 10-31-2011 at 02:32 AM.

I'm more intrigued at why it's an 8sec blink...looks really slow. I wonder if the app Blink may help invoke anything....
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

ROM
    Custom

Quote Originally Posted by lyk13 View Post
    I'm more intrigued at why it's an 8sec blink...looks really slow. I wonder if the app Blink may help invoke anything....
    Yeah, I was just gonna say why not give these apps a try

https://market.android.com/details?id=imoblife.blink

https://market.android.com/details?i...eans.ledtester

Will find a chance to test again.
    Thanked by:

One more question.. does it "fade blink" like MacBook Pro LED standby light or just "hard, sudden blink".

Thanks!!
    Androidoholic

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Quote Originally Posted by infernalman7 View Post
    One more question.. does it "fade blink" like MacBook Pro LED standby light or just "hard, sudden blink".

Thanks!!
    I assume just hard blink like all other Android phones, but you never know I guess. It could happen
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X

ROM
    4.0.4 leak

Quote Originally Posted by 1088933 View Post
    I assume just hard blink like all other Android phones, but you never know I guess. It could happen
    Not all Android phones hard-blink. I know that at least the EVO 4G does soft-blinking (for one of the LEDs, at least. I don't have too much experience on that, my boss had one).

I hope they have it soft-blinking because a) it would be nicer looking than hard-blinking and b) because it'd be nicer-looking, it fits along with Android's new goal of being a really good-looking UX.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonOak View Post

The LED on the Droid X can do multiple colors. You just have to have an app that supports it. For example, I use GO SMS for texts and can set the notification to one of several colors.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast