Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is Galaxy Nexus a World Phone?

Like the title says is this phone a world phone like most BB's or the iphone 4s?

Global Posts
    8,519 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

No. At least the announced versions are not.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Is Galaxy Nexus a World Phone?

Not the Verizon model, but the international model would work just about anywhere

I hope the AT&T version isn't different than the international model. I would be irratated if it were, whenever they release it
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Quote Originally Posted by bjames2785 View Post
    I hope the AT&T version isn't different than the international model. I would be irratated if it were, whenever they release it
    I agree. Thats why I will just get the international version and not have to worry about it later when AT&T gets it
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I dont see at&t getting it for a while with the new galaxy s2 coming out. I see verizon and tmobile getting it first then sprint. I really wanted a world phone bc i live on the border or detroit/windsor. Oh well lol. Getting it anyways.

So whats the definition of a world phone again? I though it qualifies as a world phone if it has penta-band HSPA.

Or does it need to have CDMA support as well.

Quote Originally Posted by infernalman7 View Post
    So whats the definition of a world phone again? I though it qualifies as a world phone if it has penta-band HSPA.

Or does it need to have CDMA support as well.
    A world phone for Verizon is one that can operate on Verizon's networks in the US and on global GSM networks abroad, so yes, CDMA support would be required for a Verizon world phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    Not the Verizon model, but the international model would work just about anywhere
    Has that been confirmed? Several of the recent Verizon high-end handsets have been world phones, at least on the Moto side. I assumed that was just the direction that Verizon was headed with all of their new hotness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmcferrin View Post
    Has that been confirmed? Several of the recent Verizon high-end handsets have been world phones, at least on the Moto side. I assumed that was just the direction that Verizon was headed with all of their new hotness.
    None have LTE support though. Those are only CDMA/GSM devices.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Well Im praying for a gsm/cdma phone! but...Im sure it wont. LTE uses a sim card. Will there be a phone that uses two sim cards. Will at&t lte phones require two sim cards? one for gsm and the other for lte?