How competitive is GNex...

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
How competitive is GNex when the RAZR, Rezound, GNote, and even SGS2 get ICS? Would you still get the GNexus if all current phones had ICS?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i would, because of all he phones you just mentioned, the gNex is the only one that will be bloat free, and AOSP instead of being ice-blurred, or sand-wiz'zed, or sense-creamed. plus, im also a big fan of the phone's design, and am interested to use an android phone w/o capacitive buttons. not to mention the other benefit of owning a nexus device is not having to wait for carriers to drag their feet when its time for OS updates

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
And I'll add one more reason why I would still choose the Nexus. I'm coming from the Samsung Fascinate -- the black sheep of the Galaxy S family -- which has already been abandoned by all but a relatively small group of (very talented) developers.

I'm grateful for what those guys have done for my phone, but I know it's just a matter of time before they all move on. I'm looking forward to having a phone that is guaranteed to have strong developer support for a long time to come.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
If it were vanilla ICS, the rezound may persuade me, otherwise I'd stick with the GN.

If it were vanilla ICS, it wouldn't be the Rezound. It would be the Galaxy Nexus not under clocked.with a removable SD card

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm grateful for what those guys have done for my phone, but I know it's just a matter of time before they all move on. I'm looking forward to having a phone that is guaranteed to have strong developer support for a long time to come.

Great Point.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Even in terms of specs the gnex is competitive, the clock frequency of the rezound may be higher, but the s3 uses the old cortex a8 cpus vs the omap's cortex a9 cpus so the clock speeds are not directly comparable. The clock speed of the gnex and the razr might be the same but the razr gets there through overclocking and the gnex gets there through underclocking so the gnex should have more overclocking headroom, additionally the gpu in the gnex is clocked almost twice as fast as the gpu in the razr.

As far as screens go I prefer SAMOLED over SLCD so the better screen is between the razr and gnex and the gnex has a higher resolution, even with pentile I expect it will be sharper then the razr's screen, plus qHD will likely never see a high level of support as most devs will go from wvga to 720.

Styling is pretty subjective but for what it's worth I like the gnex's design better than the others. As far as build quality they are all plastic (kevlar is plastic fibers in a plastic resin) so they should all feel similar in the hand.

The razr and gnex have about the same sized battery but that doesn't tell us much the big question will be how power hungry the radios will be.

And now for the big difference, the gnex ships with ics and will be the first phone to get 4.x and will be the second phone to get 5.0 this time next year. The others are promised ics, but after how long? They may get the next release but they will most likely never see 5.0 outside of custom roms.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
The others are promised ics, but after how long? They may get the next release but they will most likely never see 5.0 outside of custom roms.

Nothing wrong with custom ROMS. I don't see it as a negative to have a custom 5.0 ROM out of necessity, that is unless you have an aversion to rooting and ROMing. If that's the case than I completely agree with you.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with custom ROMS. I don't see it as a negative to have a custom 5.0 ROM out of necessity, that is unless you have an aversion to rooting and ROMing. If that's the case than I completely agree with you.

my droid wouldn't have lasted as long as it did if I was adverse to custom roms, but they are not for everyone and it is something that should be taken into account

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The RAZR is the only other phone at this time I would consider, if it had ICS.

But the vanilla Android experience on the GNex is the closer for me, and software aside, that GNex is a sexy phone to look at too.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Even with ics the gn will be at bottom of sales chart. And there is some vzw standard bloat on gn

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Even with ics the gn will be at bottom of sales chart. And there is some vzw standard bloat on gn

They could sell one... to me and I wouldn't care if they sold another. Plus any bloat will be gone the day you bring it home. Only thing that would destroy the phone is. Locked bootloader. No worries.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
meh. IMHO the GNex will be at the top until the next nexus for the simple fact that it isn't cluttered with all the verizon crapware or the manufacturer skins to weigh things down. Plus no need to wait on a 6 month carrier-manufacturer ping pong match to get updates. It won't be at the top as most people are spec hunting or just see eye candy but I bet that a lot of people who go with something other than the GNex will be complaining about the skins, bloatware or slow updates sooner than later.

turbofan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If it were vanilla ICS, it wouldn't be the Rezound. It would be the Galaxy Nexus not under clocked.with a removable SD card

It would be the Galaxy Nexus not underclocked, with a removable sim card, with a smaller screen, made by HTC, heavier, with a better camera, with beats audio.

In other words, an HTC Rezound with vanilla ICS.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
i would, because of all he phones you just mentioned, the gNex is the only one that will be bloat free, and AOSP instead of being ice-blurred, or sand-wiz'zed, or sense-creamed. plus, im also a big fan of the phone's design, and am interested to use an android phone w/o capacitive buttons. not to mention the other benefit of owning a nexus device is not having to wait for carriers to drag their feet when its time for OS updates

Pretty much came here to post this.

14gilmsp

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I also think that the GNex will be a better phone seeing as how it has a much bigger screen than the other two but isn't a "bigger" phone. My opinion anyway.

PinkyTheDevil

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
It would be the Galaxy Nexus not underclocked, with a removable sim card, with a smaller screen, made by HTC, heavier, with a better camera, with beats audio.

In other words, an HTC Rezound with vanilla ICS.

I don't have the link on hand but the camera on the GN is rumored to be better than the Rezound.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If the others shipped with ICS and got updates as quick then I would consider the razr. The only reason I am going with the nexus is for the quick updates right from google without having to deal with the carriers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance