Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Dev Alliance Sense 5.0

Default Re: No USB MASS STORAGE Support!!? Only MTP PTP?

Simple solution, pop out battery door, take out SD card, throw it on my PC, throw in my junk, put SD back in phone. Pop battery cover back on. Takes more work then just plugging a USB but hey out works

EDIT

and I don't plan on getting a phone with out a SD card slot. The SD just has too many pros to just jump to internal memory only or cloud.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

ahh im using windows 7, having this issue too...

but somehow some other guy claimed he can transfer files via usb mass storage with honeycomb on p6200.

i tried on p7500,p6200 and xoom, cant work. Connected as mtp only

It takes forever to transfer folders via MTP.

The biggest disappointment is no SD card.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

If it helps I find that using the WiFi music sync that comes with Winamp pretty fast for transferring files.

Its syncs whatever you put in the Winamp library (both music and video)

I still use the stock music and video player but it just makes it easy to transfer music without plugging in (kinda like the BlackBerry Wifi music sync).

Its also free.

Okay, so, I don't necessarily have a problem with ICS doing MTP rather than mass storage, but for whatever reason, it's just not playing nice with my Windows 7 computer. For the most part, whenever I try to drag the media files from my computer to the correct folder on the phone, the transfer just hangs. I've let it sit for minutes, and no progress. I end up having to cancel it, which in turns causes Windows Explorer to crash, then I have to restart it via Task Manager.

Somehow, I got it to transfer my 50+ custom ringtones over no problem. Then I tried to get my 200+ wallpapers to move over, and it kept hanging. After several attempts, it finally got my wallpapers transferred over. Now, though, I have pictures from my old phone that I want to transfer over, and it just keeps hanging and crashing Windows Explorer when I try to do it.

Is there a fix for this, that anyone knows of? If it actually worked like it should, I wouldn't have much of a problem with this method, but the fact that it doesn't even seem to work 90% of the time is just really irritating.

I guess I was lucky. I didn't know there were any issues or that it wasn't USB.

Connected via USB, opened a folder on Windows 7 on my computer, opened the phone folder that showed up under my computer and transfered all my different picture folders at one time with absolutely no issues. I did the same thing with all of my music. The album covers even transferred along with my music. A very smooth process.

AWESOME. I'm lovin' this phone!

MsGadget13

Quote Originally Posted by Piquedram View Post
    Point is, you can send multiple files in one copy-paste action, but you can't have 2 file transfers going through together. So you can select 30 music files then send them all over, but while that is running you can't decide to send over 1 or 2 extra, you need to wait for the 30 to be finished before you can send over the next one.

Basically, if you're on a windows machine, like me, you have minimal issues.
    You also can do the same thing on a Mac getting the MTP application from google on the Mac. Works like a charm.

I can understand the frustration from people though, apps like double twist have issues because they do not use mtp

So from what I am understanding this is the same tech as the Sammy 10.1 tab. Gonna give it a try on that and see how it works. I did have a bit of a time copying pics over probably because I tried to move many files at once. Will give it a try with my music to my tab and see how it works
    AKA TrendyProfessional1

Have you tried to enable USB debugging mode? Because on my epic touch it does mtp by default but if i enable USB debugging then i have the option to use mass storage.

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    ImInfused likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndaccord View Post
    Have you tried to enable USB debugging mode? Because on my epic touch it does mtp by default but if i enable USB debugging then i have the option to use mass storage.

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk
    This will not work with Honeycomb or ICS, due to changes in Android. Prior to 3.0, the internal flash ROM was partitioned into multiple areas: the android system area, and the user apps area. This behaves exactly the same way as a hard drive with multiple partitions, and meant the manufacturer and/or carrier had to decide how much space the user had to store apps and user data in.

3.0+ switched methods: the entire flash rom is now one giant partition, thus removing the limits on the user's data area. You can now add apps/data until the device runs out of space. However, now that this is all in one partition, USB mass storage cannot be used because you would have two independent systems trying to update the filesystem at the same time. End result: massively corrupted filesystem.

Also, 3.0+ use ext4 as the device filesystem. This would restrict mounting to Linux systems; I don't think there is an ext4 IFS driver for Windows/Mac at this point.

Being someone who's half of his 80GB music collection is in .ogg, i completely disapprove of this new format. It's taken me over 8 hours to copy 25 GB to my GN. it's limitation to writing only 1 file at a time and the completely ridiculous amount of time it takes to write non-microsoft formats is unacceptable.

WTF was google thinking? This is totally unacceptable.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,085 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

It doesn't do one file at a time it does one transfer at a time. I copied 16gb of videos in just over an hr or so. I think I let it run overnight onnce as well. Could be that you have too much on the device and nor enough for apps to run therefore bogging it down? If it hesitates just a bit I stop the transfer disconnect and try again.

I have to say i have no issues (on win7) with MTP, fast and just as easy as USB MS. Plus gets around my works policy of no usb drives connected to the pc.

Quote Originally Posted by marcw View Post
    I have to say i have no issues (on win7) with MTP, fast and just as easy as USB MS. Plus gets around my works policy of no usb drives connected to the pc.
    as an IT admin, thanks for letting me know!

im running windows 7 64 and have to pick and choose music to transfer over b/c there's not enough storage for all my music. MTP makes this extremely annoying. i wasted almost 10 hours keeping my phone plugged in b/c it was transferring at like 400 k/s. i shouldnt have to change and plug/unplug and reboot a device to get it to work over USB.

i dont care what the benefits of MTP are, it is simply not worth all the hassles and extremely slow speeds many people are experiencing. i'd take mass storage in a second over this crap. you can't do ANYTHING when youre transferring files. cant rename folders, cant delete files, and often times cant even browse directories. you start copying music over and might as well take a nap cause it'll take hours to finish and you wont be able to do during.

Quote Originally Posted by somnambulator View Post
    as an IT admin, thanks for letting me know!

im running windows 7 64 and have to pick and choose music to transfer over b/c there's not enough storage for all my music. MTP makes this extremely annoying. i wasted almost 10 hours keeping my phone plugged in b/c it was transferring at like 400 k/s. i shouldnt have to change and plug/unplug and reboot a device to get it to work over USB.

i dont care what the benefits of MTP are, it is simply not worth all the hassles and extremely slow speeds many people are experiencing. i'd take mass storage in a second over this crap. you can't do ANYTHING when youre transferring files. cant rename folders, cant delete files, and often times cant even browse directories. you start copying music over and might as well take a nap cause it'll take hours to finish and you wont be able to do during.
    I just read this http://www.androidcentral.com/ics-fe...and-how-set-it and maybe i am doing something different, but i can copy 3 gigs in 20 minutes using windows explorer with no issues. I swap roms out with every day 200+mb with no issues. I guess it is me.

I agree if everyone is having issue, but some are not, so what is the difference?

I have another reason why MTP is not very good.

If you remove a necessary file accidentally, with Mass Storage you can use any file recovery software - like Recuva. With MTP, this is not possible.

There's a reason why the GNex use MTP. the GNex only has one large storage unit, and mounting it would mean that Android OS wouldn't be able to have it mounted, so you would basically have to restart your phone in to some sort of special mode everytime you wanted to transfer something, and if they did that then everybody would complain about having to reboot their phone everytime.

I'm late to this one, but just getting a galaxy 8.9 and expecting to sync with my Docs To Go Desktop app just pissed me off. It relies on MSC mode to sync files. As others have mentioned, it's the other apps, devices and such that rely on an MSC connection to our devices for syncing and interaction. Syncing is kind of key to using the device for work, and if it doesn't automatically sync to my computer it's a bit useless. Trying to avoid sugarsync because every time you hard reset or wipe and flash you have to start from scratch. Which is a fail on their end. Then if I have to deal with dropbox I screw up my sugarsync syncing among computers as I add dropbox into the folder mix. Just annoying and frustrating. Thanks for making it simple Samsung. It's always some compromise with android and the mfg. I miss palmOS...sigh.
    S4 user on Sprint with way too many backup phones (Spare S4, Epic, Evo Shift).

Just use a wifi file transfer app

It's about syncing, not transferring. Big difference. At this stage of the game, file syncing should be seamless across platforms. They should also be local and not rely on the cloud.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    S4 user on Sprint with way too many backup phones (Spare S4, Epic, Evo Shift).

Under developer options, turn on USB debugging and watch mtp speed up dramatically.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ytwokc5 View Post
    Under developer options, turn on USB debugging and watch mtp speed up dramatically.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    ^^^ THIS

Hold on, you copy a couple more over while your set of 30 are going. It will just wait until the 30 set is done then copy the couple extra - you don't have to wait for it to finish, it will just put the second file transfer on hold then copy automatically once the first one is done.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's about syncing, not transferring. Big difference. At this stage of the game, file syncing should be seamless across platforms. They should also be local and not rely on the cloud.
    I have the same complaint - MTP doesn't support the same kind of syncing that Mass Storage Mode supports. I've been looking for solutions since I got my Galaxy Note 2, and I think I've finally found one. It's called Cheetah Sync, and it's from the same folks who do iSyncr. You can find it here: Cheetah Sync

The free version only lets you define one sync job (i.e. one computer folder/subfolders to sync to one device folder/subfolders - you can run the sync as many times as you want). When I tried it out last night it seemed to work, so I shelled out for the paid version (I think it was $4 US), which lets you define unlimited jobs. The only possible downside I can see is that it's WiFi, not USB, so it might be slow for really large transfers.
    pontiac005 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Pssh mtp blows compared to regular USB storage. Its drastically slow and completely incompatible with Ubuntu. That makes building a pain in the ****. I have to adb everything over to my phone and back.

Sent from my SPH-L710
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast