Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: No USB MASS STORAGE Support!!? Only MTP PTP?

You guys know its not the end of the world! I found a way to enter USB Mass Storage! All you have to do is before you connect the device (make sure USB debugging is OFF) go to settings->More options->USB Utilities and touch Connect storage to PC. Then connect the cable and you'll see the USB Mass Storage! Yay! PLEASE LIKE and Thank!

But what if you don't have USB utilities? Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Amier41 View Post
    You guys know its not the end of the world! I found a way to enter USB Mass Storage! All you have to do is before you connect the device (make sure USB debugging is OFF) go to settings->More options->USB Utilities and touch Connect storage to PC. Then connect the cable and you'll see the USB Mass Storage! Yay! PLEASE LIKE and Thank!
    That was removed several Android versions ago. Your choices are now just MTP or PTP.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

ROM
    2.3.5 / 2.6.35.7-gac99e44

Angry Re: No USB MASS STORAGE Support!!? Only MTP PTP?

@marcw

" i can copy 3 gigs in 20 minutes using windows explorer with no issues" >> YOU ARE A LIAR.

Please provide detailed specs on your computer, and on your phone, along with (if you dare), a screenshot of anything that remotely supports this claim. And by the way, MTP sucks crap.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJRichardson View Post
    @marcw

" i can copy 3 gigs in 20 minutes using windows explorer with no issues" >> YOU ARE A LIAR.

Please provide detailed specs on your computer, and on your phone, along with (if you dare), a screenshot of anything that remotely supports this claim. And by the way, MTP sucks crap.
    That's a little rough...

I have not timed myself but I can copy music and files easily between my Galaxy Nexus and either a Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC with no issues. You just have to have the right drivers installed on your PC. At Work, I am currently on an XP machine that does not have the drivers installed so while I can see the phone in Explorer I cannot see the contents. XP wants a disk or the drivers available locally to install. 7 & 8 will search the internet for them.

This article may help you: OEM USB Drivers | Android Developers

I was able yo install the drivers on my work PC and can now see the contents of my phone.
    Last edited by patruns; 08-06-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Pat
    Chromecast

ok guyz i found a solution....go to settings---developer options-----usb debugging turn it on. it should be able to connect to htc sync now. if you dont have developer options then google it ...its a simple process to activate developer options. thanx

hello.
    i am using an HTC One running on android 4.2.2 and i had lost allthe data due to factory reset. i would like to know how i could recover data. i tried all the softwares on the net to recover but it requires the HTC One to work on USB Maa storage mode and due to that the softwares cannot recover. someone please get me a solution. im desparate

Quote Originally Posted by bilalmohRM View Post
    hello.
    i am using an HTC One running on android 4.2.2 and i had lost allthe data due to factory reset. i would like to know how i could recover data. i tried all the softwares on the net to recover but it requires the HTC One to work on USB Maa storage mode and due to that the softwares cannot recover. someone please get me a solution. im desparate
    It might help if you posted this in the HTC One forums instead of the Galaxy Nexus forums....
    Pat
    Chromecast

So I want to recover some date I erased by mistake. There are all these programs out there to do this but for this I need to be connected through mass storage.
    I have a Samsung Tab 2 with the version 4.2.2 and it will not go into Mass storage mode. I got the developer options activated and select USB debugging but when I connect to the PC it will only give me the options to go to Mass storage, only MTP or PTP. Is the anyway for these recovery programs to see my Tab without having to root my Tab?
    P.S. Of course I do see my Tab and SD card in my file explorer
    Thx for any input.

If you can see the files connected to your PC you should be able to recover anything that is recoverable. What programs are you looking at that specifically say you need to be connected via mass storage?

Take a look at this article: 16 Free Data Recovery Software Tools (Free File Recovery Software)
    Pat
    Chromecast

Hi!

Do you got it? (Make your Tab go into Mass Storage mode)

Thanks!

Hi, have you got any solution for this one? I just got in to same kind of precarious position, lost valuable pictures of my kid, feeling pretty sad, please let me know if you had any solution for this one. thanks in advance.

I am having the exact same problem with my Samsung Galaxy - USB Utilities is not an option, I've opened the developer software and allowed USB debugging... but my only options for USB connection are camera or media - not storage device. I've tried multiple programs to recover my lost photos, and nothing will detect my phone!! I'm pretty bummed about losing my photos - any help would be greatly appreciated... this is so frustrating.

I've had succes with using USB tethering together with FTP.
    I have a Dell tablet running Android 3.4.43
    My PC is running Linux, Ubuntu Precise, to be precise.

I installed a free Android FTP server app on the tablet and run the open source Filezilla program on my PC. When I plug in the tablet, It appears as a wired network connection on the PC. The FTP server identifies the IP address and port. Filezilla on the PC allows me to transfer files to and from the Tablet

The issue may be the use of custom backup/version-tracking/file-syncing software that doesn't support MTP or PTP protocols. If it isn't a matter of *just* copying files across, but of getting the proper versions of files out of a custom datastore and restoring them to the proper place, it's a task that could take a minute to set up with fully-compatible software but considerable time and effort to do because of the lack of mass-storage support.

I know I have a very nice setup that does three-way file syncing plus version control and backup, and can handle any device or storage area that can be mapped to a drive letter or a standard network share. Which means that the other end can be any OS that supports a compatible protocol, and nowadays practically every common protocol is compatible... except MTP/PTP.

Explain why it's necessary for file browsing be limited slow system filtering of multimedia related files (MTP)? Or why would support PTP driver installation failure due to MTP Device detection only.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234