SGS2 with ICS vs Galaxy Nexus?

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I can get a Samsung Galaxy S2 with very little effort and at a pretty low cost, or I can spend more money (and quite a bit more effort) and get the Galaxy Nexus. Which would you do?

If the Galaxy Nexus had an SD card slot that would probably be enough to push it ahead of the SGS2 but now they are pretty much tied to me. I have read that it isn't entirely unlikely for the international SGS2 to get ICS before the end of the year and then it would probably be about a week after that before it gets ported to a ROM for the AT&T version considering they are so similar.

So, what would you get IF it was confirmed that you would get ICS on the SGS2 within the next 6 weeks?

fogel35

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I can get a Samsung Galaxy S2 with very little effort and at a pretty low cost, or I can spend more money (and quite a bit more effort) and get the Galaxy Nexus. Which would you do?

If the Galaxy Nexus had an SD card slot that would probably be enough to push it ahead of the SGS2 but now they are pretty much tied to me. I have read that it isn't entirely unlikely for the international SGS2 to get ICS before the end of the year and then it would probably be about a week after that before it gets ported to a ROM for the AT&T version considering they are so similar.

So, what would you get IF it was confirmed that you would get ICS on the SGS2 within the next 6 weeks?

Galaxy Nexus will consistently get more support and more timely updates than S2. IBM's Watson would not get the update before the Galaxy Nexus. That is why you have to balance hardware to software when deciding on the phone you want to purchase. That is why I agree with Jerry Hildenbrand when he says buy a phone for what it has now because you may not see an update.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
In terms of hardware the GN is a much better device. Screen is bigger and has a much improved resolution. Then throw in the fact that the GN is put together better than the GS2 along with a better feel in the hand. I say GN. (Yes, I've owned a GS2 before the GN)

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
For those who keep mentioning the speedy updates consider that the Nexus S still hasn't received ICS yet there are ROMs of the there for other models already. Are they perfect? No, but it's not like ICS is gonna be golden out of the gate.

Food for thought.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
For those who keep mentioning the speedy updates consider that the Nexus S still hasn't received ICS yet there are ROMs of the there for other models already. Are they perfect? No, but it's not like ICS is gonna be golden out of the gate.

Food for thought.

Why would/should the Nexus S get ICS before the release of its flagship phone, the Galaxy Nexus? Lets be real here.

xerexlord

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an SGS2 that I just got last week, and just got my nexus from overseas, the nexus has one thing that the SGS2 won't ever have - it's screen.

The pictures and videos on youtube simply do not do it justice, it's amazing, blows a retina display out of the water (previous iphone4 user too).

ICS is awesome and will be great on the SGS2, but the screen and lack of actual buttons makes the experience incredible.

Xadamx1

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I hate to bring up an old topic. But, I'm on the edge of the Nexus and the SGS2, I can get a SGS2 for somewhere around 99$, but to get a Nexus I have to spend upwards of 650$. Now I know SGS2 is going to get ICS somewhere during the first quarter of the year, and the hardware is almost the same, except the screen and the camera. But I like the looks of the Nexus a lot better, and I am sick of the iPhone, I want out, so I am looking to turn to Android. What do you guys think, SGS2 or the Nexus?

paingiver

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
(i know old topic i know!just shocked for that price!)

damn at that price SG2 all the way bro i wouldnt think twice to get that one. 99 bucks? damn buy 3 and sell the other 2 overseas!

its an awesome phone still one of the best! if not THE best.

bekudi

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I hate to bring up an old topic. But, I'm on the edge of the Nexus and the SGS2, I can get a SGS2 for somewhere around 99$, but to get a Nexus I have to spend upwards of 650$. Now I know SGS2 is going to get ICS somewhere during the first quarter of the year, and the hardware is almost the same, except the screen and the camera. But I like the looks of the Nexus a lot better, and I am sick of the iPhone, I want out, so I am looking to turn to Android. What do you guys think, SGS2 or the Nexus?

Xadamx1

I was also on the edge but went with SGS2. My reason was LTE and without LTE the speeds are going to be very slow going forward. And ATT let me keep my old data plan. So now I have SGS2 + LTE and my unlimited data. I am happy with by new phone.

nitestorm

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I personally would wait for the Skyrocket HD since the buttons are outside the screen giving it more display coverage 100% of the time unlike the GN.

icashinout

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Nexus all the way I don't like all the skinning and bloat and the nexus is great on att I also have unlimited data and the H+ speeds are great 5-7mps down

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

nitestorm

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Nexus all the way I don't like all the skinning and bloat and the nexus is great on att I also have unlimited data and the H+ speeds are great 5-7mps down

But doesn't ATT throttle after 2GB with unlimited? I'll be upgrading to the skyrocket HD with 3GB data without throttle.

icashinout

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
They have never throttled me I did get the text message once saying I we in the top five percent for the month and they basically said use wifi to help out or they would throttle! We have had unlimited data since 97 in the words of my momma I wish they would!!!! Lol

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
They have never throttled me I did get the text message once saying I we in the top five percent for the month and they basically said use wifi to help out or they would throttle! We have had unlimited data since 97 in the words of my momma I wish they would!!!! Lol

I got the notice yesterday for the first time. I was 8 days into my billing cycle and used 2.5GB. I got a text message, e-mail, and call from AT&T. I said, I didn't think I was abusing their service but he said I was using more data than 95% of customers. Of course this only applies to other unlimited users so it makes sense. He told me he would be very happy to switch my plan to 3GB for the same price. Then I said, what if I go over to 3.1 and he said I'll keep paying overages. I ended up hanging up in anger.

Here's what's I have to say about the throttling: do what you need to in order to maintain your network but don't tell people they are abusing it at 2.5GB and especially when you offer a 3GB plan.

They have the network capacity and should allow unlimited users at least 10GB before they throttle. If I had an LTE phone I could possibly use 2.5GBs in an hour. That's pretty much the only reason I am holding onto this plan but then again I don't think it will be any good with an LTE phone if they throttle.

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
onlything S2 got over GNex is camera lens.
first version of S2 has on par AP (exynos+mali) but smaller screen with lower resolution and it has 3G only.
2nd version of S2 (LTE) has 4G but inferior AP (snapdragon+adreno) and smaller screen with lower resolution.
HD LTE versions comming out soon (same SAMOLED HD like GNEX) but it has inferior snapdragon.

also audio quality is better on GNex (TI DAC> yamaha DAC)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
the display resolution of the SG2 is atrocious. even compared side by side to my OG EVO it looks awful. icons are huge and web pages don't fit on the display. compare the SG2 to an OG EVO or an EVO 3D side by side and you will be shocked. compare the SG2 to a G-Nex display side by side - compare icons and web pages and you will see that the SG2 display has an awful resolution and can't even come close to touching the G-Nex's 720p resolution. too few pixels spread out way too far! and given the fact the the display is what you will interact with 100% of the time - this is very important!

do an icon and web page side by side comparison before you buy!

good luclk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781