Camera quality

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Anybody with a gnex mind posting some sample shots here? Im curious to see how good the camera sensor is.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I noticed at how the s2 colors were brighter on some pics. Couldn't you simply up the brightness on the nexus and maybe play with the saturation? I'm thinking that the s2 was preprogrammed that way. The nexus has more realistic color repro, and you should be able to get the same quality out of the censor if you change some settings.

Edit: also I noticed at how in lowlight conditions the nexus wins hands down. The guy even said the nexus was better at taking pics by a small margin.
Edit #2: after further review, the nexus has an insane sensor on it. All of those shots looked gorgeous when blown up on my laptop and I have a 1080p screen on it. I'm so ready for this phones it's literally the full package

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if both of these camera lenses are the same, but with different digital processing techniques, and the Nexus achieves faster focus and snapshot because of lower pixels and better software (less cpu processing?). This is just my guess.

Look at the blue sky on the Nexus, it have more artificial noises, similar to HTC Amaze photos, which shows that it has heavier sharpening filter, introducing artifacts as a result: SII vs Nexus

Look at the tiles in the bottom right of this photo, the SII has more details: SII vs Nexus

Similarly, if you look at the top right brick wall of this photo (and the sidewalk), more details on the SII: SII vs Nexus

Look at the bottom right where the sun shines on the water, the water has more details on the SII: SII vs Nexus

On this photo, if you zoom in you can see the red leather patterns with the SII, not much for the Nexus: SII vs Nexus

I do admit that color reproduction of the Nexus is closer to reality, the SII colors are more saturated to look nice but less realistic, Samsung does this for their phone and TV screen as well. So if you don't want to spend time photoshopping your photos, its better to go with the Nexus. However, I feel there is more contrast with the SII daylight photos.

About the night photos, I don't think neither are better than the other, but the Nexus is digitally tuned better. The Nexus night photos has better black level and hides the noises better. After photoshopping the Galaxy SII photos, playing with the brightness and contrast, saturation and resizing, I made them look quite similar to the Nexus version.

Overall, from all the photos that has been posted @ hemorrdroids.net, the SII:
-Daylights photos looks to have less artifacts, less blurry, and slightly better contrast compared to the Nexus.
-Considering the SII has higher pixels, it still maintains good sharpness and details, sometimes more than the Nexus.
-More saturated colors, can be good or bad depends on how you like it, maybe not realistic as the Nexus.

Nexus:
-In some cases, It seems that the effects of lights can cause a hazy look on the Nexus photos.
-In some cases, photos are a bit blurry compared to the SII.
-More realistic colors.
-Takes more detailed maroshots.
-Night photos looks better.
-It has faster focus and shutter speed.

I'll be happy with either camera in term of phone quality, but I still prefer the Galaxy SII for more pixels. I hope when Android 4 is released for the Galaxy SII, it'll get improvements for its camera functions too.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions base on the photos posted. I only own the SII, not the Nexus. I am looking at these images on my 32" IPS LCD that has been tuned with a colorimeter.

PS. I'm posting my opinions here instead of XDA because there are less trolls here so less chance of getting personal attacks.

PPS. I also think the HTC Amaze photos are heavily digitally processed with too much sharpening and saturation making people believe the camera is better than it really is.

Last edited:

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Great comparison. And sad. Looking at those pix almost made me lose my hardon for this phone. Almost.

I was initially in the same boat, disapointed when looking at the comparison shots. However, I'd rather have images that reproduce more realistically, the scenery, than excessively vibrant to induce a false sense of quality. Sometimes its in the eye of the beholder. I don't think I'll be able to truly make up my mind until I have the phone in hand.

I'm using a droid3 right now, and unfortunately, with the 2-3 seconds it takes to load the camera, I'd be happy with virutally anything that operated faster.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering if both of these camera lenses are the same, but with different digital processing techniques, and the Nexus achieves faster focus and snapshot because of lower pixels and better software (less cpu processing?). This is just my guess.

Look at the blue sky on the Nexus, it have more artificial noises, similar to HTC Amaze photos, which shows that it has heavier sharpening filter, introducing artifacts as a result: SII vs Nexus

Look at the tiles in the bottom right of this photo, the SII has more details: SII vs Nexus

Similarly, if you look at the top right brick wall of this photo (and the sidewalk), more details on the SII: SII vs Nexus

Look at the bottom right where the sun shines on the water, the water has more details on the SII: SII vs Nexus

On this photo, if you zoom in you can see the red leather patterns with the SII, not much for the Nexus: SII vs Nexus

I do admit that color reproduction of the Nexus is closer to reality, the SII colors are more saturated to look nice but less realistic, Samsung does this for their phone and TV screen as well. So if you don't want to spend time photoshopping your photos, its better to go with the Nexus. However, I feel there is more contrast with the SII daylight photos.

About the night photos, I don't think neither are better than the other, but the Nexus is digitally tuned better. The Nexus night photos has better black level and hides the noises better. After photoshopping the Galaxy SII photos, playing with the brightness and contrast, saturation and resizing, I made them look quite similar to the Nexus version.

Overall, from all the photos that has been posted @ hemorrdroids.net, the SII:
-Daylights photos looks to have less artifacts, less blurry, and slightly better contrast compared to the Nexus.
-Considering the SII has higher pixels, it still maintains good sharpness and details, sometimes more than the Nexus.
-More saturated colors, can be good or bad depends on how you like it, maybe not realistic as the Nexus.

Nexus:
-In some cases, It seems that the effects of lights can cause a hazy look on the Nexus photos.
-In some cases, photos are a bit blurry compared to the SII.
-More realistic colors.
-Takes more detailed maroshots.
-Night photos looks better.
-It has faster focus and shutter speed.

I'll be happy with either camera in term of phone quality, but I still prefer the Galaxy SII for more pixels. I hope when Android 4 is released for the Galaxy SII, it'll get improvements for its camera functions too.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions base on the photos posted. I only own the SII, not the Nexus. I am looking at these images on my 32" IPS LCD that has been tuned with a colorimeter.

PS. I'm posting my opinions here instead of XDA because there are less trolls here so less chance of getting personal attacks.

PPS. I also think the HTC Amaze photos are heavily digitally processed with too much sharpening and saturation making people believe the camera is better than it really is.

I agree with you on some points but honestly I thought the camera quality was very good. I'm not one that likes oversaturated colors. I like my photos to display what my eyes actually saw. I think both phones are great and stepping down from the t-bolts 8 mp cam to the gnex 5 mp cam will actually be a step up in my opinion.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk

xAGx#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I honestly think those shots look pretty good, yes they are slightly less vibrant but they dont look utterly horrid or anything.

Also, I wonder if the shutter speed can be slowed down ever so slightly to improve focus? obviously that would require rooting and some fiddling with the app itself.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I honestly think those shots look pretty good, yes they are slightly less vibrant but they dont look utterly horrid or anything.

Also, I wonder if the shutter speed can be slowed down ever so slightly to improve focus? obviously that would require rooting and some fiddling with the app itself.

I'm sure they could make this an option with future updates. Honestly I think the sensor they used is great. Takes just as good shots as my thunderbolt possibly better. MP's dont really matter and I think people need to realize that while reviewing the camera. They cpmapre this to the iPhones camera and I think it's just as good.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
What I'm interested in and excited about is the video quality. My Thunderbolt sucks. You can't take indoor (home lighting) videos without it lowering the frame rate and blurring even the slightest movements. I've been looking at sample videos of the Galaxy Nexus on YouTube and I've very satisfied with what I've seen so far.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I thought they were all good. I am coming from an iPhone 4 and I think the Nexus' camera is at least as good as mine. Yes, the SGS2 did look better 75% of the pics but I think some of the Nexus' shots were just as good and in a couple cases better.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think they look pretty darn good. Most will pick the SII because colors are vibrant and pop, but they are not true and realistic colors. It seems the SII tends to over saturate "blues", case in point take a look at the photo's of the earphones; The SII look blue-ish, the Nexus has a more realistic gray color.

JPTN

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Haven't played too much with the camera, but have done a camcorder comparison as well as screen comparison with the other 720p screen: The LG Optimus LTE.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyRxJ5zKSO8&hd=1[/YT]

Screen comparison:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb_muwDjmRs&hd=1[/YT]

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay what looks to me is and what scares me is that the Galaxy nexus has a serious jelly effect from the CMOS sensor. This is severely minimized on the LG and I know it is on the GS2. To know if you have the jelly effect, just drive your car and point your video to the said and you will see all the vertical bars start slanting.

Also the frame rate looks to be 24fps not 30. I wonder what the video would look like at 720p as the default. Image stabilization has to be set up. For Google to not have a gyro and accelerometer and not set up your video and camera for image stabilization is complete FAIL. These are the moments I wish I worked for google and all I would do is slap people.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay what looks to me is and what scares me is that the Galaxy nexus has a serious jelly effect from the CMOS sensor. This is severely minimized on the LG and I know it is on the GS2. To know if you have the jelly effect, just drive your car and point your video to the said and you will see all the vertical bars start slanting.

Also the frame rate looks to be 24fps not 30. I wonder what the video would look like at 720p as the default. Image stabilization has to be set up. For Google to not have a gyro and accelerometer and not set up your video and camera for image stabilization is complete FAIL. These are the moments I wish I worked for google and all I would do is slap people.

The first thing I noticed was how there seems to be no image stabilization on the the Nexus as well, and I think thats causing a world of hurt on the video quality. I also see the "jelly effect" after you mentioned it. Think this can be corrected with software?

The phone DOES have a gyro and accelerometer, but it appears they are not being utilized for video recording...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay