Anyone else thinking about skipping the GNex for Nitro HD?

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking forward to the GNex for quite awhile, but frankly, I'm starting to cool on it. After hearing about mediocre specs, average camera, flawed display (reported slight but noticeable banding and discoloration with pentile), no flash out of the gate, no gorilla glass (or proof of equivalent scratch/shock resistance), no expandable memory, and reports of bugs/issues (volume bugs, first run dev copies, limited reports of "less than smooth" UI), it just seems like it's somewhat less than ideal.

It seems that the only big difference between the GNex and most phones coming into the market is really just the fact that it's pure google and will get updates first, considering most of the modern phones will probably have ICS within the next 4-5 months anyway. Other than that, in a lot of ways, it seems like inferior hardware.

Just comparing the specs, the Nitro HD looks pretty good to me right now, and I'm excited about the non-pentile HD display. IPS and OLED both have their advantages, but non-pentile is non-pentile. On top of all that, it'll actually be an AT&T phone, as opposed to an unlocked phone I have to pay a fortune for and get limited support from AT&T on.

I dunno, maybe I'm just disappointed that it's taken so long to just get this thing to market.

Anyone else?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
The only problem is that when the Nitro is about ready to be released you will have rumors of a phone in the works that blows it away in terms of specs. I want the GNEX because it is the most future proof android phone out there right now.

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The only problem is that when the Nitro is about ready to be released you will have rumors of a phone in the works that blows it away in terms of specs. I want the GNEX because it is the most future proof android phone out there right now.

I hear you, and I agree that there's always something "around the corner", but I just want a solid phone with at least _currently_ cutting edge internals (which the GNex fails on) and an HD screen. The rezound hits all the notes, but I don't know that they make a GSM version of it, and besides that, it's a little thick for a modern phone. I eyed the Galaxy note - and I'm still looking at it, to be honest - but it's just so damned large that it's probably not practical.

The future-proofing of the GNex is certainly a nice thing to have though.

My jury is still out. Maybe more reviews will convince me, but those I've read so far have been somewhat mixed. I still have my pre-order from expansys, and they haven't even called to confirm whether I still want it or not (at which point it'll still be several days away from my grubby hands).

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I hear you, and I agree that there's always something "around the corner", but I just want a solid phone with at least _currently_ cutting edge internals (which the GNex fails on) and an HD screen. The rezound hits all the notes, but I don't know that they make a GSM version of it, and besides that, it's a little thick for a modern phone. I eyed the Galaxy note - and I'm still looking at it, to be honest - but it's just so damned large that it's probably not practical.

The future-proofing of the GNex is certainly a nice thing to have though.

My jury is still out. Maybe more reviews will convince me, but those I've read so far have been somewhat mixed. I still have my pre-order from expansys, and they haven't even called to confirm whether I still want it or not (at which point it'll still be several days away from my grubby hands).

My story is that I come from iPhones since the beginning. I like the fact that they only release 1 per year and I can have the "best" from that manufacturer until the following year. With Android you are always chasing the next best. They come out so fast and furious that you rarely have the best for a month let alone a year. This is why I'm choosing the Nexus. At least another won't be released for another year. I know I want have the best overall phone all year probably but knowing I have the best Nexus is enough for me. Then the fact that it's vanilla and gets updates FIRST, I know it will still be relevant and fast and useful for at least a year.

It's all tough decisions but my mind is made up.

Good luck

edit: btw my pre-order is from Expansys also. Let me know if you hear anything and I'll let you know if I do.

fogel35

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking forward to the GNex for quite awhile, but frankly, I'm starting to cool on it. After hearing about mediocre specs, average camera, flawed display (reported slight but noticeable banding and discoloration with pentile), no flash out of the gate, no gorilla glass (or proof of equivalent scratch/shock resistance), no expandable memory, and reports of bugs/issues (volume bugs, first run dev copies, limited reports of "less than smooth" UI), it just seems like it's somewhat less than ideal.

It seems that the only big difference between the GNex and most phones coming into the market is really just the fact that it's pure google and will get updates first, considering most of the modern phones will probably have ICS within the next 4-5 months anyway. Other than that, in a lot of ways, it seems like inferior hardware.

Just comparing the specs, the Nitro HD looks pretty good to me right now, and I'm excited about the non-pentile HD display. IPS and OLED both have their advantages, but non-pentile is non-pentile. On top of all that, it'll actually be an AT&T phone, as opposed to an unlocked phone I have to pay a fortune for and get limited support from AT&T on.

I dunno, maybe I'm just disappointed that it's taken so long to just get this thing to market.

Anyone else?

The bold is the most important statement you made. It isn't going to 4-5 months and you can take that to the bank.

LG has the same processor as the Skyrocket I believe so basically that is its competitor. Skyrocket by a mile. Better lame skin and more storage.

grantith

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Beware of LG if you ever want updated software. I currently have their top of the line phone, the LG Thrill 3D, and it still runs Froyo. The Gingerbread update has been "coming shortly" since its launch on day 1. It was promised by September, but even now, we have no idea when it'll be released (not even a general timeframe).

I'm over it and getting the Galaxy Nexus for the direct updates from Google.

Reactions: Jonneh

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I for one am considering the Nitro over waiting for the Nexus. Everybody keeps talking about updates, but LG just said today this phone is getting ICS early next year - I feel they will have to push out updates to stay competitive.

I happen to like the look on the Nitro and their version of android looks pretty untouched. I also saw today their video player plays MKV files natively, pretty nice.

Besides the issue of updates, what do people have against LG?

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Beware of LG if you ever want updated software. I currently have their top of the line phone, the LG Thrill 3D, and it still runs Froyo. The Gingerbread update has been "coming shortly" since its launch on day 1. It was promised by September, but even now, we have no idea when it'll be released (not even a general timeframe).

I'm over it and getting the Galaxy Nexus for the direct updates from Google.

And the tmobile g2x has been horrible too. I'm staying away from LG.

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I just got back from the ATT Store and played with it first hand. My time was limited and it was on wifi, but the screen is undisputably gorgeous. Side by side it is definitely much crisper than my Skyrocket screen. With that said though...I am not sure I like the slightly taller, narrower screen with better resolution, but also smaller icons due to that. It feels a tad thicker than my SR, but both are thin anyway. Also, what is up with the micro USB charging port being on the top? So everytime I use it in a cradle in my car, the cord would hang off the top, stressing the cord and the connector both. That simply is idiotic and almost a dealbreaker alone for me! Then the small 4GB internal memory which is not nearly 4GB after system space. The final thing is NFC. Granted, it is currently disabled for the most part on my Skyrocket, but at least it has it! The Nitro HD doesn't have it . ICS does support NFC and while it may not be vitally important at first. I don't want my new phone to lack a feature that every new phone in 2012 is gonna have. All in all, I will keep my SR.

Sent from my Samsung S-II SR from Tapatalk.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I grabbed a Nitro today..had the GS2 and GS2 SR....love this phone WAY more...but that is me. The screen is GORGEOUS if you want to web browse, view pictures and watch movies in HD. GORGEOUS!

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I just started a contract with AT&T on Nov 14, and got the Nitro HD on the 4th, but I've seen already problems with battery life, and lag is more constant, now I am thinking of switching the Nitro and getting the Galaxy Nexus, do you guys think is the best way to go? battery on Browsing went from 98% to 90% in less than 10 minutes, so let me know if I should do the jump to the Galaxy Nexus and just return the Nitro, of course returning it will cancel the service, but I could just get Simple Mobile with it, or maybe AT&T Off Contract, The Advantage of Unlocked pentaband works on any GSM Carrier.

o yeah FYI no LTE in my Area.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I just started a contract with AT&T on Nov 14, and got the Nitro HD on the 4th, but I've seen already problems with battery life, and lag is more constant, now I am thinking of switching the Nitro and getting the Galaxy Nexus, do you guys think is the best way to go? battery on Browsing went from 98% to 90% in less than 10 minutes, so let me know if I should do the jump to the Galaxy Nexus and just return the Nitro, of course returning it will cancel the service, but I could just get Simple Mobile with it, or maybe AT&T Off Contract, The Advantage of Unlocked pentaband works on any GSM Carrier.

o yeah FYI no LTE in my Area.

You are just going a long way to get the Nexus, if you have lots of money, fine, but you will probably have to get it off contract, Simplest way since you won't be in the 30 day return grace period. To cancel your plan, then get a simple plan is a lot...Think....I am sure the Nexus isn't THAT perfect on battery either with a HD display as well. The screen on the Nitro is GORGEOUS! A price you have to pay. This baby(NitroHD) does have a 1830mah battery. And once ICS comes out for it...I just can't wait ha.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I know I have to get it off contract, and was talking to buy it unlocked, and had a couple of issues with service, d their networked capped out since yesterday a couple of times, and we'll if I go with the nexus and simple. Mobile is 60 bucks a month, and way cheaper than at&t around 120 a month after tax, the nitro has a nice display and all but performance than that of the sgs2 and galaxy nexus the battery life doesn't do it justice, and you can run with a phone on 3 hours talk time, engadget tested battery ith video and only lasted 4 hours, an sorry but disapointing. Well I decided and will get the nexus and get simple mobile service, and which uses tmobiles towers.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just got back from the ATT Store and played with it first hand. My time was limited and it was on wifi, but the screen is undisputably gorgeous. Side by side it is definitely much crisper than my Skyrocket screen. With that said though...I am not sure I like the slightly taller, narrower screen with better resolution, but also smaller icons due to that. It feels a tad thicker than my SR, but both are thin anyway. Also, what is up with the micro USB charging port being on the top? So everytime I use it in a cradle in my car, the cord would hang off the top, stressing the cord and the connector both. That simply is idiotic and almost a dealbreaker alone for me! Then the small 4GB internal memory which is not nearly 4GB after system space. The final thing is NFC. Granted, it is currently disabled for the most part on my Skyrocket, but at least it has it! The Nitro HD doesn't have it . ICS does support NFC and while it may not be vitally important at first. I don't want my new phone to lack a feature that every new phone in 2012 is gonna have. All in all, I will keep my SR.

Sent from my Samsung S-II SR from Tapatalk.

Imagine posting all of that and never once telling us what phone you were comparing to your Skyrocket!???

What phone does ATT have that you were comparing?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I also have a SR and live in an LTE area. I went to look at the Nitro on launch day and played with it for about 15 minutes. I liked it a lot. I decided to wait to see a few reviews on battery life which is important to me. Turns out the first two reviews I saw (Mobile Tech Review & Engadget) absolutely slammed the battery life on the Nitro.

Although I like the phone and the screen, I cannot live with that level of battery life. Waiting to see the scoop on the Nexus.

jwood55812

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably going to pick up the Nitro HD, I really just can't wait for the Nexus anymore, my contract is up and burning a hole in my pocket. Minimum 30 days exclusivity, probably closer to 90, that pushes us back till Jan 10th, or worse, March 10th, just in time for CES/MWC, and the whole hype...wait... cycle to start again! If Nitro HD gets CM7 or CM9, I think it'll be a great phone.

djkinetic

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Just got my GNex today and I can say I'm not disappointed with it at all...Coming from a SGS2 the phone itself just looks and feels better and ICS is great of course...The Nitro does have a great screen but I just couldn't wait for ICS personally and of course I don't have to deal with the ATT Bloatware...if u have the money go for the GNex.

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Just got my GNex today and I can say I'm not disappointed with it at all...Coming from a SGS2 the phone itself just looks and feels better and ICS is great of course...The Nitro does have a great screen but I just couldn't wait for ICS personally and of course I don't have to deal with the ATT Bloatware...if u have the money go for the GNex.

Wish I had the money.....but full boat price is a bit crazy for a phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia