HOW-TO OEM unlock the Galaxy Nexus

Nightowl33333

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
To those having trouble getting the "Android 1.0" driver to install and not finding Samsung. Not only did I install the Samsung driver posted a couple posts above, but also: when right clicking on the Android 1.0 device and updating driver, then choosing "Let me pick from a list" I then chose "All Devices". There were about 6 different entries for Samsung (Samsung, Samsung Co., etc) and one of them had the Android ADB Interface entry, which worked. Originally I was just looking under "portable devices", which isn't it.

Hope that helps!

kichard

May 23, 2011
Visit site
This is so frustrating. It's gotta be the most simple thing that I'm missing. Alaways is. I just don't get it. Everything is installed I cannot find "samsung" in the list of drivers. Although I've installed it two times. This is crazyness. :/

Headhunter

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having issue with waiting for device or the Android 1.0 driver issue when in bootloader, read this:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOW TO] Unlock Bootloader & Root GSM Nexus

Install this driver:
Samsung

The combo of those two things worked for me. Initially, the Samsung option didn't have the Andriod ABD option. After installing the driver that surfacinglove posted there were a TON of Samsung options and the Android ADB driver was mixed up in there. I updated the driver from the Device manager and then ran the command and all went well.

Now I can start setting up the phone and actually using it! Thanks guys!!!!

Woohoo!!!!!

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Got all the way to the command prompt, entered "fastboot oem unlock" and got this error message:

"This program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer"

What now?

kichard

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok I GOT IT lol wow. always the most simple things. Install the Samsung drivers, device manager, update andriod 1.0 driver. select from computer and then I actually had to select all devices, thats where I was going wrong. THANK YOU for all your help my friends. Happy Nexus days :D

Turbod

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
No matter what I did, I could not seem to get the Sammy drivers to install. I installed PDA net and used those drivers. Went in to device manager, picked the device, selected install from specific location, selected search and picked browse, C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\usbwin and picked the android-usb.inf. I have no idea why, but anytime I went into Sammy folder, the proper drivers would not show, grrr.

cam30era

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
For those still having trouble with drivers

To those having trouble getting the "Android 1.0" driver to install and not finding Samsung. Not only did I install the Samsung driver posted a couple posts above, but also: when right clicking on the Android 1.0 device and updating driver, then choosing "Let me pick from a list" I then chose "All Devices". There were about 6 different entries for Samsung (Samsung, Samsung Co., etc) and one of them had the Android ADB Interface entry, which worked. Originally I was just looking under "portable devices", which isn't it.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Nightowl! This is the only thing that worked for me. Pointing the driver update utility to the Samsung driver folders, and to the Android SDK driver folder did not work for me. This finally did, after hours of frustration. And I'm not a noob at this.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Here's another alternative for the missing Android 1.0 USB driver issue:

1) Unplug the USB cable from the phone
2) Right-click on the "Android 1.0" entry in Device Manager (that shows the yellow exclamation point), then click 'Remove'
3) Install this USB ADB driver from xda-developers forum: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4174784/usb_driver.zip (download it locally, unzip into a folder where you can find it, then right-click on the android_winusb.inf file and choose 'Install')

Once the driver installs, plug the phone cable back in and the device will be recognized.

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the help. It took a little effort to solve those driver issues (I had all of the same issues mentioned already), but it finally worked!

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
One thing not mentioned in the first post: You use the volume keys for selecting Yes/No, then tap the power button to confirm your choice.

One final question, y'all (since I've never done this on a phone before): Once you get the "Fastboot Status = Okay", all that remains is to press the power button?