Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Like Tree24Likes

ROM
    Bugless Beast

Default Re: HOW-TO OEM unlock the Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by rodeojones View Post
    And now I'm rooted. Once I figured out the ADB mess, it took about 5 minutes total to unlock the phone and get it rooted.
    What root method did you use? Link me?

Quote Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
    What root method did you use? Link me?
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I used the walk-through (which also includes the two necessary files) from Droid-Life.com. Here's a link to it:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/15...overy-verizon/

Just make sure you put both files that you download into the same folder that has adb.exe (for me it was platform-tools/). Two commands later you'll be rooted and running CWM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

This was the exact solution to my problem.
    Like jms.flynn over at XDA-Developers, I'm running Win 7, 64bit.

Worked like a charm .
    webOS Refugee

The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo 180.

ROM
    Bugless Beast

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or if anybody noticed, but after the bootloader is unlocked, there is a new icon displayed while the phone boots up. It's during the "Google" splash screen, and at the very bottom of the screen is a lock icon verifying that the phone is not locked (the latch is not completely secure in the lock).

This is not a big deal, but I imagine that Verizon is training their reps to look for this when accepting any returns. If you are returning for a hardware defect, this may be important to you.

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or if anybody noticed, but after the bootloader is unlocked, there is a new icon displayed while the phone boots up. It's during the "Google" splash screen, and at the very bottom of the screen is a lock icon verifying that the phone is not locked (the latch is not completely secure in the lock).

This is not a big deal, but I imagine that Verizon is training their reps to look for this when accepting any returns. If you are returning for a hardware defect, this may be important to you.

Brandon
    That's why it's important to lock your phone back up when returning.

In the device manager "android 1.0" does not show up because I have a code 19 error. Under "USB controllers" there is a yellow exclamation point next to "Samsung usb mobile device". Automatic updates does nothing so I go to "browse my computer>let me pick> ?"

Then there is about 8 choices for different samsung manufacturers and more options for each models. I'm just not sure which to chose to fix the error. Any help is appreciated
    Last edited by shane1341; 12-27-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by surfacinglove View Post
    Anyone having issue with waiting for device or the Android 1.0 driver issue when in bootloader, read this:
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOW TO] Unlock Bootloader & Root GSM Nexus
    This worked, I had to go through "All Devices" and then through about ten different "Samsung Intl" options to find the ADB option, but then I installed it and it worked great. Thank you and I suggest this to anyone with the trouble of the FastBoot mode not connecting your your PC.

Thanks everyone. From this post I was able to unlock without any issues. Didn't even need to install the Samsung usb driver that was posted. I just installed the SDK, included the Google USB driver package, Android 4.0.3 and Android SDK platform tools with the install. With the phone in fast boot mode and connected to my PC, in device manager I selected my phone, clicked update driver then chose the driver installed by the SDK in the android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver directory. No fancy stuff needed. Hope this helps some people

So I am having some problems here. I have followed all the steps up to entering "fastboot oem unlock" and the comand prompt then says "waiting for device" is there anyone who can point me in the right direction to unlocking i would like to load 4.0.4

Update:

I tried the method pointed out by Hand_O_Death. This method ended up getting me lost and worried that I could brick my phone. If any one can still help it would be appreciated.

Finally found the right samsung drivers and it is now i'm unlocked and full joy. Thank you to all of the wonderful people who are willing to help out those of us who just can't seem to get it right.
    Last edited by elarquitecto801; 04-13-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Smile This will fix your problem

Okay, I will make it easy for everyone. I had the same problems and this is what you do:
    I am on windows 7. Go to:
    Start > Computer

Now in a space where there is nothing, right click.

In the top left corner hit DEVICE MANAGER

Scroll down to SAMSUNG ANDROID PHONE

Right click on the sub-menu item that should have a triangle on it and click UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE...

Then press BROWSE MY COMPUTER (not online)

Then press LET ME PICK...

Then click the most recent one.

then click next and click OKAY to install.

There you go. I hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by chocobunny View Post
    Noob inc:

I only get the message waiting for device, but nothing happens on my device

EDIT:got it working with PDAnet
    how? Because thats all mine does too.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SereneJ View Post
    how? Because thats all mine does too.
    Download PDAnet and install it. It will walk you through the installation and make you select your phone manufacturer and will install the drivers by itself...

I have had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus since it was released in December, but have put off getting into unlocking the bootloader, rooting, etc. partly because of laziness and because of fear of screwing my phone up. I am sick of waiting for Jelly Bean and want it on my phone asap. Do I just need to unlock the bootloader and then install a rom, or do I have to root before installing anything? Could someone point in to some good directions for all of this. I see the unlocking instructions and that seems fairly simple, I'm just a little unsure as to whether I need to root to install a version of Jelly Bean or not. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by wam1234 View Post
    I have had the Verizon Galaxy Nexus since it was released in December, but have put off getting into unlocking the bootloader, rooting, etc. partly because of laziness and because of fear of screwing my phone up. I am sick of waiting for Jelly Bean and want it on my phone asap. Do I just need to unlock the bootloader and then install a rom, or do I have to root before installing anything? Could someone point in to some good directions for all of this. I see the unlocking instructions and that seems fairly simple, I'm just a little unsure as to whether I need to root to install a version of Jelly Bean or not. Help?
    After you unlock the bootloader, root, install clockworkmod, make a backup, then install a rom. I got all my info from droid-life.com. I personally haven't unlocked my GNEX yet but I did get my PC setup with SDK and got all my files ready to go. I'm just lagging....

followed all instructions, no luck.
    CMD cannot not find ADBwinApi.dll is missing.. blah!

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

you can also unlock Samsung Galaxy Nexus to all GSM carriers using unlock codes that can be purchased from any commercial vendors online like Wickedunlock.com

Hello all, please please help me?

I am going crazy! It has been over 7 hours now, NON-STOP! I really need some help... I cannot get passed "fastboot oem unlock", I keep getting "Access is denied" in command prompt, NO MATTER WHAT I DO! I am the only one on my computer too, this has never happened with my old Nexus 4 which recently cracked after dropping out of my hoodie pocket. I am trying just about EVERYTHING I can possibly think of! I have right clicked every file and selected to run as administrator, even 2 different drivers. The Google ADB drivers and the Samsung ADB ones. I gave administrator priviliges to the rooting files as well and even the command prompt before doing it. I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I had no problem doing this before on my N4 4.2.1 which I updated to 4.2.2 then unlocked but the screen broke on that one when it fell out of my hoodie pocket so I just got a new one that came with 4.2.2 and a free bumper case. I just got it today and I have been trying to unlock it since 7pm and its now 2:35am. Can someone PLEASE help me, it's driving me crazy and makes no sense, please keep in mind I have tried everything, but if there are some things you know that I could not being doing or something is set up right, please go ahead and list them. I really want to get Nexus 4 back with all my apps and games but I can't even start thinking about using anything like Titanium Backup Pro because I can't even get past unlocking it because I keep getting that stupid "Access is denied" message in command prompt and it makes no sense at all! I have never had this problem and have unlocked my old phone about 10+ times.

Please help! I am out of options. Does anyone have a resolution? I would really appreciate it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
    Last edited by xnickfx; 07-04-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xnickfx View Post
    Hello all, please please help me?

I am going crazy! It has been over 7 hours now, NON-STOP! I really need some help... I cannot get passed "fastboot oem unlock", I keep getting "Access is denied" in command prompt, NO MATTER WHAT I DO! I am the only one on my computer too, this has never happened with my old Nexus 4 which recently cracked after dropping out of my hoodie pocket. I am trying just about EVERYTHING I can possibly think of! I have right clicked every file and selected to run as administrator, even 2 different drivers. The Google ADB drivers and the Samsung ADB ones. I gave administrator priviliges to the rooting files as well and even the command prompt before doing it. I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I had no problem doing this before on my N4 4.2.1 which I updated to 4.2.2 then unlocked but the screen broke on that one when it fell out of my hoodie pocket so I just got a new one that came with 4.2.2 and a free bumper case. I just got it today and I have been trying to unlock it since 7pm and its now 2:35am. Can someone PLEASE help me, it's driving me crazy and makes no sense, please keep in mind I have tried everything, but if there are some things you know that I could not being doing or something is set up right, please go ahead and list them. I really want to get Nexus 4 back with all my apps and games but I can't even start thinking about using anything like Titanium Backup Pro because I can't even get past unlocking it because I keep getting that stupid "Access is denied" message in command prompt and it makes no sense at all! I have never had this problem and have unlocked my old phone about 10+ times.

Please help! I am out of options. Does anyone have a resolution? I would really appreciate it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
    It is saying the the phone is not allowing the Fastboot OEM unlock. Which means you need to go back a a step or two. I had an issue too because I didnt have the correct drivers. Even though I download the Samsung Keis. See a few post above yours. It explains how to get the correct the drivers. Post #160 by xzxzMatt

I would turn USB debugging on too. Just to make sure it connects to the computer correctly.
    Then try it again.
    Good luck
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->

Hey guys, I figured out how to get out of this "Finding Device Mess"

1) I was using windows 8. You need to DISABLE Driver Signature Verification on this OS first
    - Instructions here

2) I didn't have the proper Fastboot drivers installed. Go to this site and download the universal drivers worked like a charm. I know it's a good plus account (not mine) but it works.
    - https://plus.google.com/103583939320...ts/BQ5iYJEaaEH
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567