HOW-TO OEM unlock the Galaxy Nexus

rodeojones

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, yet another question. I booted into the bootloader via the command prompt (just to see that things were working correctly). I'm also using a video as a guide from Droid-Life.com to help me ensure I don't make a mistake along the way. So I noticed that my bootloader screen says something the one on the video doesnt. A few spaces below the line that says "Lock State - Locked" I see the following text (which is also highlighted in blue): "FASTBOOT STATUS - FAILInvalid Command"

Have I done something wrong, or is this normal? I don't want to go any further and mess something up until I find out what this is about.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, yet another question. I booted into the bootloader via the command prompt (just to see that things were working correctly). I'm also using a video as a guide from Droid-Life.com to help me ensure I don't make a mistake along the way. So I noticed that my bootloader screen says something the one on the video doesnt. A few spaces below the line that says "Lock State - Locked" I see the following text (which is also highlighted in blue): "FASTBOOT STATUS - FAILInvalid Command"

Have I done something wrong, or is this normal? I don't want to go any further and mess something up until I find out what this is about.

That's something different that I'm not familiar with. Maybe it's because you booted into it using the command prompt? Not sure. You can always just use the volume up/down keys to "reboot into bootloader" and see if that fixes it.

Brandon

rodeojones

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
That's something different that I'm not familiar with. Maybe it's because you booted into it using the command prompt? Not sure. You can always just use the volume up/down keys to "reboot into bootloader" and see if that fixes it.

Brandon

I thought it might have to do with using a command prompt to get to the bootloader, but when I did it the other way I got the same text. Also, in the video I watched on Droid-Life he got to the bootloader via the command prompt yet he didn't have the text on his phone.

If I try to continue and run the "fastboot oem unlock" command but it's not properly set up to do so, what could happen? Could it be possible for me to be stuck in my bootloader and not able to boot back to the OS? That's why I'm checking and double-checking each step. Don't want to get so messed up fixing it is beyond my capabilities.

rodeojones

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Just tried it again. Got to the bootloader manually (holding down the buttons) and that text in blue isn't there. But as soon as I plug in my phone via USB it shows up.

EDIT: A simple reboot of both the phone and the computer seems to have done the trick. That line of text is gone.

Last edited:

rodeojones

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Success. I got it unlocked! Once I hit "Start" after unlocking it, however, it bootlooped for a good 5 minutes. But I just let it go and eventually it booted up. Thanks, Brandon, for answering my very noob-like questions.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Success. I got it unlocked! Once I hit "Start" after unlocking it, however, it bootlooped for a good 5 minutes. But I just let it go and eventually it booted up. Thanks, Brandon, for answering my very noob-like questions.

Well, we're all noobs to this device!

Last night, I was stuck in bootloops for about 2 hours because after unlocking my phone took longer than normal to get through the splash screen so I did a battery pull. That was probably a bad idea, as I was stuck in constant boot-loop hell until I relocked and unlocked the device. The up-side is that I feel pretty comfortable with fastboot commands now :)

Brandon

rodeojones

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, we're all noobs to this device!

Last night, I was stuck in bootloops for about 2 hours because after unlocking my phone took longer than normal to get through the splash screen so I did a battery pull. That was probably a bad idea, as I was stuck in constant boot-loop hell until I relocked and unlocked the device. The up-side is that I feel pretty comfortable with fastboot commands now :)

Brandon

Well, I'm glad I didn't do a battery pull when it was looping. I nearly did, but something told me to wait a while.

rodeojones

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: bplewis24

tostler

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This was the exact solution to my problem.
Like jms.flynn over at XDA-Developers, I'm running Win 7, 64bit.

Worked like a charm :D:D:D.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or if anybody noticed, but after the bootloader is unlocked, there is a new icon displayed while the phone boots up. It's during the "Google" splash screen, and at the very bottom of the screen is a lock icon verifying that the phone is not locked (the latch is not completely secure in the lock).

This is not a big deal, but I imagine that Verizon is training their reps to look for this when accepting any returns. If you are returning for a hardware defect, this may be important to you.

Brandon

st0ic_1

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or if anybody noticed, but after the bootloader is unlocked, there is a new icon displayed while the phone boots up. It's during the "Google" splash screen, and at the very bottom of the screen is a lock icon verifying that the phone is not locked (the latch is not completely secure in the lock).

This is not a big deal, but I imagine that Verizon is training their reps to look for this when accepting any returns. If you are returning for a hardware defect, this may be important to you.

Brandon

That's why it's important to lock your phone back up when returning.

shane1341

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
In the device manager "android 1.0" does not show up because I have a code 19 error. Under "USB controllers" there is a yellow exclamation point next to "Samsung usb mobile device". Automatic updates does nothing so I go to "browse my computer>let me pick> ?"

Then there is about 8 choices for different samsung manufacturers and more options for each models. I'm just not sure which to chose to fix the error. Any help is appreciated

Last edited:

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having issue with waiting for device or the Android 1.0 driver issue when in bootloader, read this:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOW TO] Unlock Bootloader & Root GSM Nexus

This worked, I had to go through "All Devices" and then through about ten different "Samsung Intl" options to find the ADB option, but then I installed it and it worked great. Thank you and I suggest this to anyone with the trouble of the FastBoot mode not connecting your your PC.

bluedimness

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. From this post I was able to unlock without any issues. Didn't even need to install the Samsung usb driver that was posted. I just installed the SDK, included the Google USB driver package, Android 4.0.3 and Android SDK platform tools with the install. With the phone in fast boot mode and connected to my PC, in device manager I selected my phone, clicked update driver then chose the driver installed by the SDK in the android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver directory. No fancy stuff needed. Hope this helps some people

elarquitecto801

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So I am having some problems here. I have followed all the steps up to entering "fastboot oem unlock" and the comand prompt then says "waiting for device" is there anyone who can point me in the right direction to unlocking i would like to load 4.0.4

Update:

I tried the method pointed out by Hand_O_Death. This method ended up getting me lost and worried that I could brick my phone. If any one can still help it would be appreciated.

Finally found the right samsung drivers and it is now i'm unlocked and full joy. Thank you to all of the wonderful people who are willing to help out those of us who just can't seem to get it right.

Last edited:

xzxzMatt

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
This will fix your problem

Okay, I will make it easy for everyone. I had the same problems and this is what you do:
I am on windows 7. Go to:
Start > Computer

Now in a space where there is nothing, right click.

In the top left corner hit DEVICE MANAGER

Scroll down to SAMSUNG ANDROID PHONE

Right click on the sub-menu item that should have a triangle on it and click UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE...

Then press BROWSE MY COMPUTER (not online)

Then press LET ME PICK...

Then click the most recent one.

then click next and click OKAY to install.

There you go. I hope this helped.