HOW-TO OEM unlock the Galaxy Nexus
03-25-2014 12:56 PM
- Jerry HildenbrandSpace CowboyThis is a work in progress, and designed with Win 7 in mind, but most of the details will work for all computer OS's and both the GSM and CDMA model.READ THIS FIRSTWarning. Danger Will Robinson. Ahead, there be dragons.
- This will erase all data on your phone. Everything.
- It also allows you to break anything you want, so be warned.
- It's easy, but you have to follow instructions. If the instructions are too hard, maybe you shouldn't be unlocking the bootloader in the first place.
1. Install the Android SDK
- Go to the Android Developer site and download the Windows installer version. Choose the installer version to ensure you get the correct drivers installed.
- Save the SDK to your desktop, right click it and choose to "Run as administrator".
- Accept all the defaults and let the SDK install
2. Set your PATH variable
- Click the Start button, right click Computer and select Properties.
- In the window that opens, on the left, select "Advanced system settings".
- In the next window that opens, near the bottom, select "Environment Variables".
- Another window will open, in the bottom text box select "Path" and click the button labeled "Edit..."
- You'll see a new dialog where you can enter text. Navigate to the end of the existing text, and enter the following exactly as written:Code:
;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk
- Click "OK" and the small dialog will close. Click "OK" in the Environment Variables window, and it will close, then click "OK" in the System Properties window and it will close. Also close the Control Panel window.
3. Download fastboot.exe for Windows
- Download the zip file attached to this post to get the Windows version of fastboot.exe.
- Extract fastboot.exe from the zip file, and place it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools\
4. Boot your Galaxy Nexus to fastboot mode
- Shut off the phone.
- Press and hold both Volume Up and Volume Down, then press and hold Power.
- When the phone reboots to fastboot mode. You'll see an Android robot with his front panel open. Check to see that the text below it starts with "FASTBOOT MODE" in red.
5. Connect to the computer and unlock bootloader
- Now plug the Galaxy Nexus into your computer with the micro USB cable.
- Let any drivers install.
- Once finished, open the Windows command prompt (Start button>All Programs>Accessories) and enter the following:Code:
fastboot oem unlock
- You will see a screen that asks you if you want to unlock the bootloader, explains the pros and cons of unlocking it, and warns you that ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED. It means it.
- Choose Yes to erase all data and unlock the bootloader.
Have fun and try not to break anything11-26-2011 05:29 PMLike 18
- i dont seem to find where im supposed to enter the windows command prompt (Start button>All Programs>Accessories) can you please give me a clear way to go about doing this. im not that good with computers. im trying to unlock my SGN locked to 3 network.
Would you also give a detailed way on how to lock a bootloader please.12-02-2011 06:51 PM
- Noob alert!! I'm thinking of toying with some development on the android platform with the GN. I'm a MS developer by trade, so I'm technical by nature. But all this android/java/linux stuff is a little foreign to me.
I'm planning to unlock the bootloader per these directions when I get my GN. But isn't this just the first step? Don't you need to root the GN to get all the cool benefits? How is root obtained after the bootloader is unlocked? Sorry for the noob questions, but the whole unlock -vs- root issue has confused me for some time.
-me12-07-2011 06:21 AM
- When you say erases all data, that doesnt mean the OS does it? Im so used to reformatting windows, so when I see wipe all data, I think of even the OS getting wiped out and having to reinstall it. Since there are no directions on what to do after you unlock, Im assuming you just start with a fresh, clean OS without personal data.
Sorry for the noob question, just dont want to get into a jam with my phone, since its actually more critical than taking my PC out of commission.
Aceball12-15-2011 08:09 AM
- I'm going to clarify a few things for some people asking some questions about this process.
- To open a command prompt, hit the Windows Key (it's usually between Ctrl and Alt) + R. Then type in "cmd" without quotes and hit enter. Boom, there you go.
- This process erases all data on the phone, meaning all apps and user info. After doing this it will be like you just got the phone again.
- Unlocking the bootloader and rooting are different. Unlocking the bootloader is basically the first step to rooting, it paves the way for the superuser app and root privileges. As far as I know, there is no root method available for this phone yet. The good news is that you shouldn't have to wipe the data to get root after unlocking the bootloader.
- I believe you will still be able to get OTA updates. OTA updates will disable root but keep the unlocked bootloader intact. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I usually unlock the bootloader, root, and go to a custom ROM so have little experience with OTA updates)
I hope this clarifies some things for those people that were a little confused!12-15-2011 08:21 AMLike 2
- Regarding unlocking with a Mac, I have a follow up question:
If I unlock the bootloader using a PC, will I still be able to do things on the phone (install ROMs, etc.) on my Mac? I have a PC for work and a Mac at home, so I use both at different times. Right now, I'm at work but I just got my Nexus and I want to unlock the bootloader, but I don't want to do it on a PC if it will prevent me from using my home Mac to do other things.
Please pardon my ignorance with this. The GN is my first android phone, so I'm a noob when it comes to unlocking bootloaders and all that stuff.12-15-2011 10:36 AM
- Google Hardware, Services & Apps
- More Google Devices & Services
- Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
HOW-TO OEM unlock the Galaxy Nexus
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD