Anyone rcvd their nexus?

sgvjon

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
received it today n currently giving it a full charge.

only drawback that i see is the actual charger for the phone. it came with a european charger with an add-on piece for n.america standard charging.

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
received it today n currently giving it a full charge.

only drawback that i see is the actual charger for the phone. it came with a european charger with an add-on piece for n.america standard charging.

I'm hearing a lot of concern for this, and confess that I don't understand why this is a problem. Doesn't everyone and their brother have a million USB type A wall adapters at this point? I doubt it even takes 2A, so you wouldn't need a beefy charger like those with tablets (ipad, Touchpad, others), but I would imagine any iphone, Galaxy S, Nexus S, SG2, or virtually any other USB adapter would do the trick. Hell, my wife's three-year-old flip phone came with one. USB is a universal standard, after all, and as long as the adapter provides sufficient current (A), it should work fine. Even if it doesn't provide sufficient current, it'll still work, it's just going to take longer to charge.

Am I wrong?

noir24

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
You are not wrong, this is not an issue at all. I don't even use the the charger that came with my GN. I"m using the same USB cable/charger that came with my Nexus one.

sgvjon

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying its a problem. its just cheap compared to other brands' stock chargers. yes USB is the norm, but i'm saying the part i dont like is the fact that european chargers+adapters take up quite a bit of space on an outlet or a surge protector. if you disagree to that, id like to see what kind of charger you've been using.

BigVDawgy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for a few days now and I think it's worth the money.

I'm coming from a Nexus S and the speed of the Galaxy Nexus and polish of Ice Cream Sandwich are great. The screen is just plain amazing, although native resolution makes text a little small and yes my eyes are perfect (it's an easy fix, just upped font size a notch). Battery life has been awesome. The browser is the best I've ever used on a smartphone.

Apps all seem to work fine, with the exception of Skype which just shows a black box for my own video. Hoping it gets fixed soon.

I do have to say I think it's a bit too big. Relative to other 4.3 inch devices it's not any different. I just think 4 inches for a device is the sweet spot. I've had two women pick up the phone and immediate reaction was "wow that's a huge phone". Using it one handed you have to stretch quite a bit to reach the menu buttons now located at the top of the screen, it's a bit of a balancing act not to drop the phone. Be careful in the bathroom ;)

I'm not getting full advantage of AT&T's HSPA+. I cap out at 7 Mbps download but that's only because my account isn't provisioned properly for HSPA+. I spent hours on the phone with AT&T who can't do a thing because their system doesn't recognize the Galaxy Nexus as a 4G device which means no 4G plans to pick from. That's an AT&T issue not a Galaxy Nexus issue.

All in all I do like the phone. I've had Nexus One and Nexus S and pure Android is the only way to go in my opinion. I can live with the size. It's easily the best Android phone and probably the best smartphone on the market.

It hasn't been that long but if I had to do it over, I'd spend the money on it again.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the lack of USB Mass storage is a royal pain in the ass. Transferring files was unnecessarily painful and apps like CompanionLink/DejaOffice that transfer data via USB don't work and need to use other connection options like WiFi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon01

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting full advantage of AT&T's HSPA+. I cap out at 7 Mbps download but that's only because my account isn't provisioned properly for HSPA+. I spent hours on the phone with AT&T who can't do a thing because their system doesn't recognize the Galaxy Nexus as a 4G device which means no 4G plans to pick from. That's an AT&T issue not a Galaxy Nexus issue.

Thanks for the writeup. I don't have mine yet, but I'm using the iphone 4s straight from an apple store and I'm wondering if I'm provisioned correctly either. My speeds are around 5-8 mbps down, and I know I should be getting AT&T's best (non-LTE) speeds in my area.

Do you have any idea what should be done to have it provisioned correctly? I'd like to be prepared for when I finally get my phone.

I'm hoping to do a video review of the galaxy nexus next to the iphone to show smoothness and lag in detail.

BigVDawgy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the writeup. I don't have mine yet, but I'm using the iphone 4s straight from an apple store and I'm wondering if I'm provisioned correctly either. My speeds are around 5-8 mbps down, and I know I should be getting AT&T's best (non-LTE) speeds in my area.

Do you have any idea what should be done to have it provisioned correctly? I'd like to be prepared for when I finally get my phone.

I'm hoping to do a video review of the galaxy nexus next to the iphone to show smoothness and lag in detail.

If you've got an iPhone 4S, call AT&T and give them the IMEI number, it will show up as a 4G device and just have them select a POC that supports HSPA+. Once your plan is on 4G drop the SIM into your Galaxy Nexus and update the APN.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
If you've got an iPhone 4S, call AT&T and give them the IMEI number, it will show up as a 4G device and just have them select a POC that supports HSPA+. Once your plan is on 4G drop the SIM into your Galaxy Nexus and update the APN.

There is no need to call AT&T. Simply put the SIM in using a SIM adapter and you will be all good to go. The iPhone 4S plan is already set up to use the HSPA+.

Reactions: Lazerz