When will the US get the unlocked HSPA+ version?

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Obviously I'm not looking for an official release date because I know there isn't one. But it seems as if Verizon will most definitely be getting their CDMA version on December 8th if preorders do start tomorrow. This is good news because that means the HSPA+ version is that much closer. But how long after the release of the Verizon version will HSPA+ users receive their unlocked version in the US?

There's no way I can import as it's way too expensive. Haven't each of the last two Nexus devices been released on a carrier before their unlocked release (T-Mobile, I think)? If so, how long after they did this did the unlocked version of the phone become available?

I'm crossing my fingers for a "before-Christmas" US release! Thanks!

Last edited:

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing after CES where the next ungodly phone will be announced and people kind of forget about it. Verizon has so many phones being released, sadly the Galaxy Nexus has just become another phone to them. It is a shame that they have the exclusive deal and that Google is selling out to them. Nexus line is no longer a developer phone or it would have been released already.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok. You guys could have possibly misunderstood me. I'm not talking about when the carriers will get them, just when the same version that is already released in Europe will be released in the US. There's no way I'm going to be able to wait until after CES when other amazing phones will more than likely distract me from the Nexus. If this is the case, I might just go with the S2 as much as I hate to go with a bloated (though still great) phone that doesn't yet offically have ICS.

descendency

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok. You guys could have possibly misunderstood me. I'm not talking about when the carriers will get them, just when the same version that is already released in Europe will be released in the US. There's no way I'm going to be able to wait until after CES when other amazing phones will more than likely distract me from the Nexus. If this is the case, I might just go with the S2 as much as I hate to go with a bloated (though still great) phone that doesn't yet offically have ICS.

Didn't misunderstand you. You are misunderstanding how phones are sold in the US. They're sold attached to a carrier, unlocked or locked. When a carrier agrees to host the phone, it will come out.

Technically, the phone is already available in the US through people like Expansys-USA and Negri Electronics. It's just at 750+ dollars. However, that's the closest you will get.

If I were you, I'd look for what is coming at CES and make your decisions then.

edit: I'd bet you that the S2 is among the first phones to get ICS.

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there any chance that the Galaxy S3 will be revealed at CES? If so, that actually might be something to wait for.

Last edited:

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Google sold themselves to Verizon and this is the result. Google shouldve released the effing thing on all carriers. My interest in the phone is pretty much gone now.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Don't hold your breath for it. It will probably be a few months until it comes to the US. I just got my confirmation email that mine is on its way from the UK for 700, wasn't going to wait around.