How to set music track as ringtone

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I know it's old but I guess I'll chime in. I agree with the OP...mostly. I've had my Nexus for maybe a month now and not having things built in that you are accustomed to can be a pain. Sure, it's not a hard thing to work around but it's those little things that keep people from switching to Android from iOS I think.

I guess I didn't realize some of the actual useful things that were added in Sense and Touchwiz as I had never experienced stock Android.

I keep swiping down hoping to get my power control bar to show up for instance. That was a useful feature for quickly turning wifi/gps/etc on and off. Can I work around it? Sure. But once you're used to it it's hard to imagine why stock Android doesn't have it. There is no downside that I can see.

Just my opinion.

rightontime

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm trying to do this using Google music. I have hundreds of songs on my GN that I made available offline. However, when I go to pick a music track through TonePicker there are no music tracks available. What gives? Any help how to make the music show up in Google Music when I select Choose music track? Thanks!

I know your problem here. Saving from Google music will be under android -> com.google.android.music. Worst of all it isn't named after anything, its just songXXX with random numbers. Only thing I can say is transfer the song manually form your laptop and it should work.

The new android file transfer system is awful, at least on a mac. I can't make sub folders, can't move files from one folder to another, and it crashes all the time. All the proper folders you need are there so no need to make a new one.

yugnip

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
The 'Ringtones' folder is already present on your device. Just pop whatever .mp3 or .ogg in the folder and then choose it in 'ringtone settings' on your device. If you don't have a 29 sec or so version of the song/track you wish to use, browse the innanets for it -- i bet you can find a pre-made version. After you download it, move it to the 'Ringtones' folder and then head to 'ringtone settings' and choose it.

No external apps or hassles. Nexus is about as easy as it gets.

PhilipC#AC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What's funny is that the feature that OP is requesting was present on my G1 since early (maybe first) versions of android. It was also present on my G2x with Gingerbread. I upgraded to Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean and was puzzled to find the build-in "use as ringtone" option suddenly missing. Just before getting my Galaxy Nexus I purchased a used iPhone 4 where one the first thing I tried to do was set my specific song as a ringtone (I always do this when I get a new phone). That wasn't possible without downloading an app to do it - so I used this as ammunition when arguing that android is superior to iOS... Only to find out that the feature was removed from Jelly Bean! Maybe it has to do with the Ringtone Editor that was listed in the Jelly Bean changelog but got pulled last minute (Ringtone Editor In Jelly Bean Changelog Trashed or Forgotten? | TalkAndroid.com).

So I agree with OP; I want this feature back!

ilkleymoorbahtat

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
To set ringtone on Jelly Bean Gnex. Copy music file to /sdcard/Ringtones folder. Then from phone number pad, select settings, ringtone, scroll down to your file, select and then hit okay.

f1madman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
On the Nexus 4, if anyone is wondering the way to get your mp3s on your phone to be used as a ring tone is simple.

Just turn your phone off and then on again, and in the sound/ringtone settings, they should now appear. No need to muck about with creating folders or downloading apps.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
On the Nexus 4, if anyone is wondering the way to get your mp3s on your phone to be used as a ring tone is simple.

Just turn your phone off and then on again, and in the sound/ringtone settings, they should now appear. No need to muck about with creating folders or downloading apps.

Considering that the Nexus 4 is pure android as is the Galaxy Nexus (which is the forum you are in) this should not work. Android does not do that on it's own. So you are saying every mp3 file you have on your phone that you listen to with the android music app automatically shows up as an available ringtone?

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I use Ringtone Maker Pro that I got free from the Play Store. It let's you take any song you have on your phone and clip it to make ringtones . You can clip the exact part of any song to any desired length of ringtone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Lisa517

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
To set ringtone on Jelly Bean Gnex. Copy music file to /sdcard/Ringtones folder. Then from phone number pad, select settings, ringtone, scroll down to your file, select and then hit okay.

Thank you so much! I actually called verizon support to ask about this at first, and the guy there said I'd have to find some third party app to let me do it. This is way better!

Sigita Urbonaite

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The 'Ringtones' folder is already present on your device. Just pop whatever .mp3 or .ogg in the folder and then choose it in 'ringtone settings' on your device. If you don't have a 29 sec or so version of the song/track you wish to use, browse the innanets for it -- i bet you can find a pre-made version. After you download it, move it to the 'Ringtones' folder and then head to 'ringtone settings' and choose it.

No external apps or hassles. Nexus is about as easy as it gets.

So how exactly you do it from google music play directly on the phone without downloading it first to computer? I can not find any songs/albums I made available offline from music play on my phone. If I would like to do it through computer, I would have bought a CD, ripped it and then placed mp3's on my phone. I expected that if I BUY songs/albums, I am entitled for the same usage as if I buy CDs...

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So how exactly you do it from google music play directly on the phone without downloading it first to computer? I can not find any songs/albums I made available offline from music play on my phone. If I would like to do it through computer, I would have bought a CD, ripped it and then placed mp3's on my phone. I expected that if I BUY songs/albums, I am entitled for the same usage as if I buy CDs...

I am not sure if you just want to listen to your music offline or use a song as a ringtone. If you made the music available offline and have your Google account on your phone set to sync music it should eventually appear on your phone to listen to.

Royye

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Here I am telling you how to set ringtone in android device. Follow below steps to set ringtone.

1. Open Settings and choose Sound
  2. After select Sound now tap on Phone ringtone
  3. Select any ringtone and press OK.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173