1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I need a straight answer...

Is the Galaxy Nexus coming to At&t within the next month or so?
    I've heard/seen rumors involving a model passing the FCC but I've also seen counter-rumors saying that it is going to Telus in Canada.
    I saw on At&t's Google+ that they asked about the Galaxy Nexus and if their customers wanted it -- And they received an overwhelming positive response.
    There IS already a model that would work on At&t's 3g and HSPA+ network, and Verizon removed the "exclusively" part on their logo for the galaxy nexus release.

So I guess my question (tldr) is, Is the Galaxy Nexus coming to At&t or not? Is it most likely coming? Or probably not?

Thanks
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Default Re: I need a straight answer...

Most likely coming ..maybe Jan. Yes Canada will have it by end of the month. With American carriers its a waiting game.

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Most likely coming ..maybe Jan. Yes Canada will have it by end of the month. With American carriers its a waiting game.
    I recently read that there was another FCC approved Galaxy Nexus for ATT, different than the one approved 2 months ago for BOTH ATT and Tmo, this one will NOT work on Tmo

1. Is this true (I am on Tmo)

2. Why would they do that.. Most people were saying that most if not all hspa+ phones coming out now had both bands , Tmo and ATT, in case of the merger. Now with the recent news that the merger is all but dead (in spite of the news that Deutsch Telecom and ATT may merge if this fails), might this be why they would get back to making phones of their own "4g" bands???

Thanks
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Well I emailed Samsung and this was the response they gave me:

"Thank you for taking the time to inform us your inquiry concerning our Samsung Galaxy™ Nexus™ phone.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

By default this future phone will be release on Verizon Wireless network only. We don't have information if
    this phone can be release also on AT&T's network. All Samsung phones are manufactured to the
    specifications of the service provider for whom they are produced.

We will forward your feedback along to the appropriate parties for further review and consideration. You can
    still check our website periodically for the future release of our Samsung products.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung."
    I don't know if that's a "No" or a "Maybe."
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm definitely taking that one as a maybe.
    Think about it, a phone has already been made that is compatible with AT&T's network, and from the sound of that email, it seems like you're dealing with someone who has little to no knowledge of what is going on with the company.
    "We don't have information if this phone can be release also on AT&T's network."
    If that's the actual quote than the person who wrote that was probably either in India or something.
    Also, like I said previously, this phone has already been manufactured to work on AT&T's network, so it all boils down to whether or not Verizon has some special binding contract with Google and Samsung.
    Maybe I'm just in denial but it sounds to me like this is someone who works customer service who doesn't know/have the permission to disclose information like that. At least that's what I am desperately hoping for.
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Quote Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
    I'm definitely taking that one as a maybe.
    Think about it, a phone has already been made that is compatible with AT&T's network, and from the sound of that email, it seems like you're dealing with someone who has little to no knowledge of what is going on with the company.
    "We don't have information if this phone can be release also on AT&T's network."
    If that's the actual quote than the person who wrote that was probably either in India or something.
    Also, like I said previously, this phone has already been manufactured to work on AT&T's network, so it all boils down to whether or not Verizon has some special binding contract with Google and Samsung.
    Maybe I'm just in denial but it sounds to me like this is someone who works customer service who doesn't know/have the permission to disclose information like that. At least that's what I am desperately hoping for.
    Yes it is a direct quote, and I am kind of thinking like you on this one. Maybe a US company will get the unlocked GSM version and sell it so we don't have to pay for it to be imported.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    Yes it is a direct quote, and I am kind of thinking like you on this one. Maybe a US company will get the unlocked GSM version and sell it so we don't have to pay for it to be imported.
    We can only hope...
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

I was told by a sales rep that they would be getting it. In any event, I just decided to import it over from the UK, and it works beautifully on AT&T.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1088933 View Post
    I was told by a sales rep that they would be getting it. In any event, I just decided to import it over from the UK, and it works beautifully on AT&T.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Yea I am starting to believe it is coming just no idea of a time frame. I believe there is a timed exclusive because Verizon has been rather casual with it's release.

Plus I believe the Android Central podcast was talking about AT&T testers are currently working with it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Cool! Hopefully it arrives before the holidays.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Cool! Hopefully it arrives before the holidays.
    I wish it would, still rocking the Nexus One, but I am doubtful. It is probably at least a 30 day exclusive which would push it into January.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

gah! Well at least I hope there will be confirmation of it by the holidays :P
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Hmmm... the Galaxy Note just got passed by the FCC for ATT but its honestly way too big of a device for me... Do you think that At&t will think that this could replace the Nexus? at least for the time being?

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Hmmm... the Galaxy Note just got passed by the FCC for ATT but its honestly way too big of a device for me... Do you think that At&t will think that this could replace the Nexus? at least for the time being?
    Hope not. I just think that is too big a device. Not a fan of the phablet idea.

Quote Originally Posted by fogel35 View Post
    Hope not. I just think that is too big a device. Not a fan of the phablet idea.
    Yeah, no way I would consider the Note a suitable replacement for the GN. Way too big for someone who wants to use it primarily as a phone and it doesn't have ICS, which is one of the main reasons people want the GN so bad.

And, don't you mean Tablone?
    Last edited by tANDp74; 12-07-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: add detail