Am I the only one who hates the unremovable search bar?

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
FYI,

You can remove it several ways. Nova Launcher givers you more widget control, long touch wise like on the previous droids, and one of the goodies is the ability to remover the Google search bar.

aceball

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Wifi tether, more options for shortcuts on home screen longpress and getting 5 icons up are gonna be the reasons I end up rooting, so no, you aren't the only one

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It can still be removed. The only problem is, once removed you still cant put widgets there lol. It kind of sucks, but its cool. When the bar is like "HOW YOU GONNA ACT" to me, Im gonna just get my search on and Ride that Ice Cream! lol

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i'll probably use Nova Launcher to remove it when the time comes. i like my big Fancy Widgets 4x2 Clock/Weather Widget in that space.

CeeDotSmith

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
... I actually used it there, now this permanent search bar is all up in my face like "how you gonna act". ...

I had to comment just to LOL this. :D

But I just got my Nexus... the search bar really doesn't bother me. I don't even really notice it any more. Maybe because it doesn't effect having 4x4. Now if the bar caused me to lose a row, then there'd be problems.

Reactions: Terrigno and Johnly

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It can be removed without root, the question is what else does removing it break in the process.
Its not breaking anything besides the search function. I have already gone in and seen the CM9 mod that removes it and that is all its affecting. Its built into the framework of the ROM and also part of the stock launcher which "triggers" it to function.

If you use a 3rd party launcher it doesn't even show up.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I had to comment just to LOL this. :D

But I just got my Nexus... the search bar really doesn't bother me. I don't even really notice it any more. Maybe because it doesn't effect having 4x4. Now if the bar caused me to lose a row, then there'd be problems.

This. I like that it searches the phone to, but to be able to drop it low would rock.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
There's a mod out which removes it and able to put Widgets there too. Using it now and screen looks even more massive.

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It's a something that's really making me reconsider getting a Galaxy Nexus. I don't use the search widget at all and this is something that I will either get used to quickly or hate forever.

The thought of paying ?500+ just to be annoyed every time I see the home screen is not pleasant. Such a stupid decision not to give you the option to remove it...

Nex2knotN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
There's a Google Search bar on the home screen?

Just kidding, I just phase it out like everything else that annoys me. :) No big deal. How about is there a way to hide the apps on the bottom? Sorta like the notification screen where you can scroll it open or close.

schriss

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Can you elaborate?

I think he meant the mod from XDA forum. I did not try that mod, I only modded my icons and battery as I didn't like all grey icons at all. For the homescreen, I chose to keep using ADW EX, I was never a big fan of stock homescreen. I simply imported my settings from old SGS2 phone, restored them on GN and that was it, loving it.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's a something that's really making me reconsider getting a Galaxy Nexus. I don't use the search widget at all and this is something that I will either get used to quickly or hate forever.

The thought of paying ?500+ just to be annoyed every time I see the home screen is not pleasant. Such a stupid decision not to give you the option to remove it...

You are missing the point. I don't like that the search bar is there all the time, but that's how you invoke voice search also now with no search button anywhere else.

The point of the Nexus line is to hack. I don't think anybody should buy a Nexus device and not feel comfortable hacking it to make it work like they want. And you don't even have to hack it, just install a new launcher and boom, the search window is gone.

schriss

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The point of the Nexus line is to hack. I don't think anybody should buy a Nexus device and not feel comfortable hacking it to make it work like they want.
Take the white notification light for example. It's white and no options to customize. But get a custom ROM/Kernel and an app from market and you get different colors for different notifications with different blinking frequency and much more. For example you can have red light when charching, green when charged. Because hardware was there available for developers to use. That's what Galaxy Nexus is all about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy