Are the Current Apps in the market supported?

cridley66

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been hearing a lot of talk around the number of limited applications that are functioning on ICS. Can someone provide insight on the volume of applications that can be used with ICS? If I switch from GB to ICS will I lose a good number of apps I purchased?

Thank you in advance for the information...

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Quite a few don't work but more work than not :)
Ones that don't completely fail may have some drawing/sizing issues

Some examples that completely fail (and I can remember):

* Swype (I'm now using SlideIT, which looks good so far)
* CardioTrainer
* Viber (maybe but support thinks may be another issue)
* APNDroid and two other similar apps (suspect not possible any more)
* Calendar Snooze
* Calendaroid

Looks like Google like Microsoft don't think much about backwards compatibility...

Bye,
Dennis

kurosavvas

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
There are issues with some of the apps.

Spotify doesn't work for instance (i sent an email to the devs and they told me they are working on it), the screencast app doesn't work (i also mailed the devs, they put me on a beta tester list) and some of the apps that rely on embedded mobile pages in web views dont properly work cause the default zoom level is way out (maybe cause of the big resoltuion, not sure)

That shouldn't stop you from buying the phone though. When Froyo came out many apps didn't work but within a month every problem was solved. ICS will be the norm in a few weeks i think so all devs will do their best to make their apps work.

Daniel C

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I've had with apps in the Market is with the developer option to force GPU rendering is enabled. Even then, it was just a couple of apps. Turn it back off and all is well.

As another user mentioned, Swype won't install, but that's not a Market app.

JerryRecords

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Probably not, like on Honeycomb, apps took a while to come. Hope its not the same issue here. And um, can we tether with this thing yet?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i keep getting ICS updates for my installed apps. this morning i just got ICS app updates for -

Jorte - i love the 4x4 widget.

Quick Calendar (by Jim Blackler) - (i love this app - it puts your upcoming calendar events in your notification bar - i set mine to look forward 2 days)

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.jimblackler.quickcalendar

so it looks like Google has made it easy for Developers to update their apps for ICS and they are indeed starting to do it. i probably had several others as well but made a point to look at the release notes of these two and saw ICS specifically listed.

Last edited: