Naked Nexus = service / Nexus + case = no service

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought a case for my GN. Absolutely loved it.... for just a few moments. When I have the case on I lose service. I've never heard of that before. The case I was using was a "barely" style case. Has anybody else had problems with their GN using a case?

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you recall the iPhone 4 had a similar issue where it would get drastically reduced signal with a case on. It had something to do with the design of the antenna. I hope they didnt do the same with this phone, would be a bummer.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I would assume that the case is interfering with the antenna. Haven't had any issues with losing service with a case when I tried one on it. In any event, just running it naked, I like the feel of phones without cases.

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a new case overnighted today (no worries... Amazon Prime $3.99 overnight!) and so far it is ok. What the heck is the other one made out of! lol

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought a case for my GN. Absolutely loved it.... for just a few moments. When I have the case on I lose service. I've never heard of that before. The case I was using was a "barely" style case. Has anybody else had problems with their GN using a case?

Same exact signal naked or in Otterbox Defender. Which is the case of cases. So no.

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting a poor signal in my house with or without a case on. I can still make and receive calls though, may drain the battery a little because of this. I had the moto droid, and always got 2 bars, didn't expect samsung to be as good as moto but still.

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My guess is the material:

"Polycarbonate is mainly used for electronic applications that capitalize on its collective safety features. Being a good electrical insulator and having heat resistant and flame ant properties, it is used in various products associated with electrical and telecommunications hardware. It also serves as dielectric in high stability capacitors"

Seems to keep " in" instead of letting things pass through... :confused:

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
If you recall the iPhone 4 had a similar issue where it would get drastically reduced signal with a case on. It had something to do with the design of the antenna. I hope they didnt do the same with this phone, would be a bummer.

The iPhone's issue was the opposite: signal was drastically reduced when the person touched the two antennas in a certain spot (thus, the "you're holding it wrong" controversy). Putting on a case alleviated the issue because the contact was made to rubber and not the metal band of the phone.

Brandon

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
My guess is the material:

"Polycarbonate is mainly used for electronic applications that capitalize on its collective safety features. Being a good electrical insulator and having heat resistant and flame ant properties, it is used in various products associated with electrical and telecommunications hardware. It also serves as dielectric in high stability capacitors"

Seems to keep " in" instead of letting things pass through... :confused:

Makes sense.

After using the case I purchased through Amazon for a couple of days I can see that it definitely degrades my signal a bit when I'm indoors, but doesn't cause me to lose service or really effect it too much. This case is almost identical to the other, but must be made out of a different material.

If anybody is curious, the case I purchased from Amazon is made by Qubits and it is the same type of "barely" case.

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Either title is wrong or you do bad math. With those two equal signs, you are saying the first and the third equal.... naked nexus = no service.
I am just bored:)

holysnikey

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the Silicrylic by Incipio which is a soft silicone rubbery cover then a snap on acrylic hard case. It is just like the Commuter series from Otterbox which I had on my previous phone and loved. But to the point it seems to not affect it at all to me.