trouble playing mp4 on the video player

smorris990

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok so i dowloaded some movies and converted them to mp4 format. I put a couple on my phone to test first. One of the movies played fine the first time. I then tried the others and they wouldnt play ans i would recieve an error message saying "unfortunatly gallery must close" i tried the movie that worked the first time and recieved the same message. I continued to try and i would get different error messages each time i tried to watch. Either "unfortunaltly gallery must close" or one that said something to the effect of "player cannot play this file" sometimes the phone would just shut off. All the files have been converted to mp4 and played on the computer. I have recently reset the phone to start over. Im just really confused this is my first smartphone. I appriciate any help. Thank you.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen once. Its like the Gallery gets stuck once it has to close. Restart the phone and try one of the videos again. After this happened to me, it has played everything (all H264 in MP4).

smorris990

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
i tried restarting my phone. i still get the message "this file cannot be played" then my phone shuts off. i used dvd catalyst 4 to convert to mp4. i have just been dragging and dropping the movie files into the movie folder, should i use windows media to sync them or does that matter? starting to get a little frusterated i dont know what im doing wrong. nexus should play mp4 files right? is there a possible update or app im missing?

neuromatico

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Try using Freemake Video converter. It worked perfectly for me, both with mkv and mp4 files I had previously downloaded to my PC, but wouldn't play on my GN. Just click on the "to MP4' button and select "same as source" or "HD 720p". Post conversion, drag the file into the "Movies" folder. It should play in the Gallery and Videos app.