Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What GSM Antennas does your problem child Galaxy Nexus have?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • GSM Galaxy Nexus

19 20.88%
  • Verizon/LTE Galaxy Nexus

72 79.12%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By j c m
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

Default Folks who have problems w/ Galaxy Nexus: GSM or Verizon/LTE?

With all the reboot/sound problem reports, I can't figure out if you're using a GSM version or LTE version of the GNex.

The power problem complaints are obviously w/ the Verizon version because LTE is a power hog

So if you're having an issue w/ your GNex, could you post what it is and click on the poll for the GNex type?

Default Re: Folks who have problems w/ Galaxy Nexus: GSM or Verizon/LTE?

I have an GNex GSM on T-Mobile and I lose my data connection and sometimes even my voice reception every now and then. Sometimes it comes back but sometimes it requires a restart of my phone. I also notice that the APN list would be empty whenever this happens. I've noticed it happen about 8 times so far and it's frustrating. Anyone else getting the same thing?

LTE GNex here, which suffers weak radio syndrome and spell correction only works in native applications.

Anyone having problems with Battery on Verizon? I just turn off 4g (Mobile Data) and the battery gets extended a lot more. It lasts me the whole day. Turning it on only when I need it

ROM
    Vicious JB 4.1.1

only when i have maximum bright turned on or 4g on otherwise im roughly getting around 10 to 15 hours on a single charge without having to turn off mobile data.the longest ive gone with out a charge was a day and 2 hours.

My LTE Galaxy Nexus seems to be doing a lot better as far as battery life goes (since i bought it). Also, when i first got it i had the sleep of death (random shutoff) about 2 times and it hasn't done it since. The battery life does not seem to be that much better with LTE disabled. I really think the problem lies between the Android OS using about 20-25% (Looking at the battery in the settings) and just the massive 720p display. I'm sure it's something they will work on as far as the 4.0.3 update gets pushed out, but there is no promise. I went to verizon and bought 2 of the external battery chargers that come with a extra stock battery. So i always have 2 extra batterys ready to be used at anytime. I'll go out for a full day and have 2 batterys in my pocket. I keep the brightness maxed out, GPS on, LTE on and i don't hesitate to pull it out of my pocket due to using more battery. It's something i just have to deal with for now.

I'm on my second LTE G'Nex (the first one had a crack between the outer glass and the samoled screen) both of them have the weak data issue. Battery life is ho hum but like YzBrad99 I also bought the external charger and just make the swap as needed.

LTE version and while my phone might be ok, i have "used to have a Rezound" syndrome. That phone definitely kept a solid data connection compared to this phone and had better reception overall in weak areas. It sucks because this is the device I want (unlocked, vanilla Android, design/feel) but the Rezound is just a better phone. I dont think one can call the "signal issue" an issue if it is this way by design. Seems more like something to go on the con list as opposed to a problem. I also have pretty high awake time and pretty poor battery life, which im sure google will address with an update. In any event, I'm going to give it some time and some updates and see where i am once the rezound gets ice cream sandwich and then make a decision.

I am picking mine up tomorrow (LTE for the record) but I read that if you turn off NFC it helps the battery out a lot.

I have a GNex on Verizon in Los Angeles area. No problems with dropped calls or weak reception. Battery life is fair to middling but I hit my battery hard all day long. It usually lasts me all of a work day, so I'm not complaining about that. Here are my main complaints:

Mediocre speaker sound quality. It's not just low volume. Next to an OG Droid music sounds thin. Maybe the OG was extraordinary, but I do miss that OG sound.

Streaming music crackles unless you keep the screen lit up! That sucks. My OG didn't do that! Audiogalaxy or Google Music streams require me to keep the GNex screen turned on, thereby killing my battery! I've heard there's a workaround by overclocking, but I shouldn't have to overclock a 1.2 gig device! What's up with that?

ROM
    Stock

I have the VzW GNex and have absolutely no issues. I have the same # of bars and same dBm as I did on my TBolt.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

VZW GNex, issues with rebooting sporadically and speakerphone/handset cutting out.

I have the GSM version of the gNex running on AT&T and have none of these issues with mine. I love everything about it
    randyw likes this.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Problem is more than likely T Mobile, and not yout GSM Galaxy Nexus. I find if the weather changes it affects my T mo reception.

My biggest issue continues to be the horrible speaker volume. I have contacted Samsung's customer support and was basically told "Sorry, if we determine that there is a problem we might decide to issue a fix for it". I guess I got spoiled by owning two Motorola phones prior to this.

Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious Jelly Bean

I'm having so many issues.

1. sound is low on pretty much everything

2. phone turns off and on by itself

3. my battery was half full i literally went to the bathroom came out and it was dead i had to charge it again..

4. i lose sound on music/pressing keys.

5. when i get a phone call i don't hear anything and the person on the other line doesn't hear me i have to put it on speaker in order to talk.

6. when im on 3g signal nothing works data calls internet anything

7. It gets really hot for some odd reason

i liked this phone but i'm seriously considering getting a bionic or some other phone.. verizon g nex

Quote Originally Posted by Yung_Dilla View Post
    I'm having so many issues.

1. sound is low on pretty much everything

2. phone turns off and on by itself

3. my battery was half full i literally went to the bathroom came out and it was dead i had to charge it again..

4. i lose sound on music/pressing keys.

5. when i get a phone call i don't hear anything and the person on the other line doesn't hear me i have to put it on speaker in order to talk.

6. when im on 3g signal nothing works data calls internet anything

7. It gets really hot for some odd reason

i liked this phone but i'm seriously considering getting a bionic or some other phone.. verizon g nex
    Uhh.. You definitely should have taken this phone back, it's clearly defective. Don't blame the phone, you got a lemon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

yep! that definitely sounds like a defective phone. take it back for an exchange.
    as for me, I'm much happier with the g-nex compared to the tbolt. other than the low speaker volume I have not had any problems. lte version.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I don'tget how people just go move to a different phone without even considering an exchange first. Your phone clearly seems busted. If you like the Nexus, try an exchange first because what you are describing is not typical.

I waited 6 months for this phone and have been very disappointed with the reception. I came from Sprint with the Evo and never had any reception/connectivity issues with it. This phone has been a nightmare with reception. I don't even turn 4G on because it causes the phone to lose data connectivity until I reboot.

I have compared 3G on my phone, in multiple locations and cities, to several other phones including the Droid Charge, original Droid, iPhone on Verizon and HTC Rezound and have found the dBm on the Nexus to be consistently 10-20 less than every other phone I compare it to, even the original Droid which was known for less than perfect (for a Moto) reception.

All of my friends have the same problem with their Nexus (I have 5 friends with it, we're all Android nerds). The really odd thing is, when I went home to Lubbock for Christmas, call quality was superb. When in Austin, even the ringing sound the phone makes when you are calling someone and waiting for them to answer doesn't even come through clearly. It's all garbled up, just like the caller's voice. In both cities, however, the dBm were always massively lower than other Verizon phones, including my mother's iPhone.

I was at a friend's last night and there were 2 of us with Nexus there. We had zero signal on our phones and had to use wifi. My other friend had a new iPhone 4s on Verizon and had about -83dBm, which is a pretty darn good signal. His worked fine.

This phone has ****-poor 3G reception. All 5 of my friends that have this phone also have the same ****-poor 3G reception. I'm likely returning it for a GSM version, which I've researched and seems to have good reception, if not great.

I turn off the GPS and saves a load on the battery. It lasts me a whole day (24 hrs) with regular traffic.

This phone is the biggest POS I have ever owned. I came from a DX rooted running Apex ROm and was having ZERO issues with it.
    I am on my THIRD phone now. First week first phone 4g and 3g kept switching back and forth..2nd phone...callers could hear me, but I culdn;t hear them...phone reboots, etc..
    Third phone still haveing the same issues..running Franco milestone 4 and aokp milestone 6.
    somehow I feel like it;s an app causing the problem...volume plus paid version was installed and keep getting message Volume + has stopped force close...
    once I reboot all functions come back for a while..
    I thought it might have been my poweramp application..but I have tried not installing either app and the problems still persist..if this problem can;t be resolved I will be going back to Verizon and insisting that they move me to another phone...there are clearly OS and or hardware problems with this phone..

Try an app named SoundAbout.