Galaxy Nexus vs. iPhone 4/4S displays

Mes3

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
All the new LG screens are great (they make the iPhone screen. If you didn't already know). I have a Marquee along with my iPhone and both screens are great.

Does the GNex have a gap between the LCD and the glass? I swear on the iPhone and the Marquee its like you're actually typing the LCD panel itself. I imagine the Nitro is like that as well (being LG and all).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you think the Galaxy Nexus has a better display? Even though the resolution is higher on the GNexus, the much larger screen size means it has a lower ppi (pixels per inch) than iPhone.
The PPI difference is very small (316 vs 330...you REALLY think you could tell the difference?). Not to mention it is almost the same DESPITE a dramatically larger screen size. The GN has a much better resolution and much deeper blacks.

The iPhones have great displays, but I dont think they are better than the GN.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Originally Posted by pappy53 : The Rezound has a better screen than either.

^This
I agree. But the difference between the GN and iPhone is much greater than the difference between the Rezound and GN. I think the Rezound and GN are comparable. I dont think the iPhone displays are really comparable.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Do you think the Galaxy Nexus has a better display?...
The real difference is size.

If you wear small or XS gloves, consider an iPhone. If you have normal sized hands or bigger consider another size such as the Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, etc. See Sizing Chart: What is the Right Size Phone?

But the iPhone 4S display does not matter if it does not have the features you need. In order to buy the iPhone 4S you have to be able to answer NO to the following:

Do you want:
1. A faster 4G/LTE phone?
2. Any size other than small?
3. A real Notification LED?
4. microSD option to add 32GB+?
5. Removeable/Upgradable Battery?
6. HD Video Chat not VGA Chat?
7. LED Display?
8. DLNA for presentations or watch movies on your TV?
9. A full Facebook Sync (photos pop up when they call?)
10. Flash until HTML5 is ratified?
11. NFC to share a song or app
12. Controllable Haptic feedback (vibrate on key-touch)?
13. Full Gmail (Priority Inbox, etc.)?
14. Toggles to turn settings on/off?
15. Widgets to see apps without opening them?
16. Amazon Appstore with the free paid app of the day?
17. Other app stores like GetJar for free paid apps?
19. Notification bar apps like the Weather Channel for temperature?
19. Full Notification control: how often to repeat, vibrate, LED, etc.?
20. 15-Minute free trial on apps?
21. Theming to change your phone into anything?
22. Visual Voicemail with Contact Photos?
23. True hands-free Voice Commands?
24. Turn-by-turn navigation for free?
25. Live Wallpaper?
26. Swype, the keyboard that set the typing records?
27. A Real predictive keyboards like SwiftKey?
28. To connect a Bluetooth Mouse, keyboard, PS3 game controller?
29. To see, delete, rename, or move actual files just like on a PC

See the Apple Users Guide to Android for more.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The PPI difference is very small (316 vs 330...you REALLY think you could tell the difference?). Not to mention it is almost the same DESPITE a dramatically larger screen size. The GN has a much better resolution and much deeper blacks.

The iPhones have great displays, but I dont think they are better than the GN.

No, they're even. The higher resolution of the GN is irrelevant considering the difference in screen sizes. The only reason the Nexus (and Rezound as well) have a higher resolution screen is because that was the only way to achieve the PPI of the iPhone

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
No, they're even. The higher resolution of the GN is irrelevant considering the difference in screen sizes. The only reason the Nexus (and Rezound as well) have a higher resolution screen is because that was the only way to achieve the PPI of the iPhone
Thats my point...they have the iPhone's PPI despite being larger displays. The iPhone has no advantage, but the reverse is not true.

That is why the iPhone display is not as good IMO. They do everything the iPhone display does and more. They are not even. They are better than the iPhone.

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The Rezound has a better screen than either.

lmao get real. its name might be just sony s-lcd but that company is owned by samsung. sony provided $ and samsung provided tech (7th lcd generation called s-lcd so that became name of the company, sony has 49.9% share, samsung share 50.1%), and that company is located in korea and mexico (not sure but 1 is located in N.A)

compare to IPS-LCD and HD SAMOLED or PLUS, S-TFT-LCD's main con is brightness.
if S-TFT-LCD is really better than IPS or SAMOLED, samsung would have used it on their top product dont u think?

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

you cant achieve higher resolution on same size unless you put more actual physical subpixels.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I have both an iphone 4S and a GNex (just picked up the unlocked version) and sorry, but the iphone 4S' display is by far superior in quality... smaller, yes, and that's the biggest downside, but otherwise, it's crisper,higher contrast, more natural colors, better in sunlight,and just overall better.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have both an iphone 4S and a GNex (just picked up the unlocked version) and sorry, but the iphone 4S' display is by far superior in quality... smaller, yes, and that's the biggest downside, but otherwise, it's crisper,higher contrast, more natural colors, better in sunlight,and just overall better.

I agree. I have both as well. Bought the unlocked G-Nex directly through Google iPhone's screen is much better in quality. I'm guessing this is because of the G-Nex PenTile screen. Now I've seen the HTC One X screen and that looks equal if not better than the iPhone's.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I've not yet seen a OneX screen but I've heard they're really good. That's why I'll avoid even looking at one otherwise I might end up buying one ;)

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've not yet seen a OneX screen but I've heard they're really good. That's why I'll avoid even looking at one otherwise I might end up buying one ;)

Lol. Yep, I tried to purchase the One X as soon as I saw it. Then they said it doesn't actually launch until May 6th. Left the store feeling sad.:'(

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
All I'll say is I use a Gnex. My buddy is a die-hard Apple fan -- but not an outright fanboy, he knows good stuff when he sees it.

He hadn't seen a Gnex yet. He took one look at the screen and I quote:

"Holy (S-word that rhymes with pit) that screen is amazing!" (He kept looking at it, even put his 4s beside it to compare size and resolution)

Conclusion? 4s might appear more vivid/clear in some situations, but you can't deny the size of the Gnex screen sure helps :)

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I have both as well. Bought the unlocked G-Nex directly through Google iPhone's screen is much better in quality. I'm guessing this is because of the G-Nex PenTile screen. Now I've seen the HTC One X screen and that looks equal if not better than the iPhone's.

The one x screen puts samsungs to shame. Seriously, it is not even a contest.

crankerchick

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
If you don't know what makes a PenTile display undesirable then you probably can't guess that is what it is that makes you prefer the iPhone screen over the GNex.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't know the technical reasons, but I do know I wish the Gnex had the crisp sharp display of my wife's iPhone... but I'll take the larger screen instead.

Sent from my my padded room

iukreegs

May 7, 2012
Visit site
in the end, does it really matter which is better?

The Gnex screen is good for me and a minor imperfection in the dimmest brightness setting (which i'll never set it to anyway) is hardly reason to not be happy with the screen.

I would wager that over 95% of GNex owners do not set their phone on the dimmest brightness level. Most probably use auto-brightness and the rest are more likely to have it brighter than dimmer.

BTW, they could have easily limited the phone to not go as dim as it does and then the issue would magically be gone lol.