Galaxy Nexus vs. iPhone 4/4S displays

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you think the Galaxy Nexus has a better display? Even though the resolution is higher on the GNexus, the much larger screen size means it has a lower ppi (pixels per inch) than iPhone.

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
the ppi is actually fairly close between the two. It comes down to personal preference at this point. 1280x720 is nice though! :)

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
IPS displays will always be superior period.
The iP4's display is great, but can't compete with the size, brilliance, contrast, or wow-factor of the GNex screen. This is all IMHO, of course.

Buy what you want, you'll be fine either way. Unless you buy the iP of course. Then you'll kick yourself for not buying the GNex.

Just kidding. Kinda.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
iPhone. Dim the iPhone screen to low. you wont see the grainy paint canvas look, how about the dim black lines that run through the nexus, you don't see that on the iPhone. Screen size and brightness I def say nexus has that.

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you think the Galaxy Nexus has a better display? Even though the resolution is higher on the GNexus, the much larger screen size means it has a lower ppi (pixels per inch) than iPhone.

The ppi of the iPhone 4/S is 326
The ppi of the Galaxy Nexuw is 316.
To the human eye completely unnoticable

The big advantages that make me lean toward the GNexus is the larger Widescreen displlay.
And the constast

OLED screens have a backlight for every individual pixel. When a ppixel is suppose to be black, it simply doesn't turn on. IPS have constant backlights.

Reactions: Slapisaurus

sowelie

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
iPhone. Dim the iPhone screen to low. you wont see the grainy paint canvas look, how about the dim black lines that run through the nexus, you don't see that on the iPhone. Screen size and brightness I def say nexus has that.

What are you talking about? I have never seen this on my Galaxy Nexus. While I can't really say anything about the iPhone, as I've never looked at one for more than 5 seconds, I will say the screen on the Galaxy Nexus is awesome. The resolution is excellent. Browsing full web sites is sweet on this phone.

Reactions: load97

THadaniS01

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? I have never seen this on my Galaxy Nexus. While I can't really say anything about the iPhone, as I've never looked at one for more than 5 seconds, I will say the screen on the Galaxy Nexus is awesome. The resolution is excellent. Browsing full web sites is sweet on this phone.

Do me a favor. Turn the brightness all the way down on your GN then go to a white or grey page. Do you see any lines showing up on the screen? Many of us have!

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Turn the brightness all the way down??? I don't see that as an issue because it something most folks never actually do.
That would be like complaining that your car is loud when you drive it on the highway in first gear.
The long and short of it is that both displays are top notch, to me they are equal in quality. I prefer the GN only because of the extra real estate.
My friend and his wife (both iphone owners) were just over last night and they both remarked on how amazing my GN screen was.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I prefer my Thunderbolts screen over the Gnex, let alone the iPhones.

All my screens are always dim as I'm overly sensitive to lights. Amoled has always looked "off" to my eyes, especially when dim. Its grainy and colors don't look true. White backgrounds look dirty.

They also get extremely warm/hot.

crankerchick

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
No contest. The nexus display is bright and saturated if that is your thing, but the iPhone display has more natural colors and more accurate colors. It also doesn't suffer any of the adverse affects that go along with SAMOLED displays. No display is perfect but the iPhone display is definitely better. That said, it's only 3.5" so I would still pass on it.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Turn the brightness all the way down??? I don't see that as an issue because it something most folks never actually do. That would be like complaining that your car is loud when you drive it on the highway in first gear

I always leave my brightness set to auto (conserve battery life) and I'm sure that it is something most folks actually do. Sounds like a poll is in order. And regardless if people dim or don't dim its still an issue because its present. Driving your car in first gear on the highway is going to be loud, of course it is, thats not how a engine is to be utilized. So I guess your telling me not to drive my car in first gear on the highway (no brain'er), just as your telling me not to dim my phone screen to conserve battery life. Totally bad comparison.

I also like the Thunderbolt screen.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
In a brief 15 sec comparison at the Costco I prefer the IPhone screen. It seemed sharper just a tad clearer to me.

I have both, the iPhone screen is better as far as quality, but it is to damn small. The nexus has a mammoth of a screen and also happens to be drop dead gorgeous.

Reactions: anthony2558

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus of course. For one it's much bigger and you can pretty much read a complete website zoomed out all the way in landscape. The colors are truer IMO. The iPhone 4s are a little fake looking. Not sure if it's saturation or what, but skin tones and greens such as grass look more realistic on the Galaxy Nexus.

And I've asked it a million times, what's the point of 'retina' type resolution on a 3.5" screen? You have to zoom to read it and then what are you left with? Where's the big advantage? Take up any iPhone 4, browse to cnn.com (landscape - desktop site). I can read everything on the page rather comfortably on the Galaxy Nexus. Yes most will still zoom in but they won't have to zoom very much and most of the page will still be visible. Now try that on the iPhone 4. Sorry but you're gonna zooming to a much smaller area of the page. Like I said, it's pretty pointless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome