New to Android and Galaxy Nexus!

VCman09

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. First post here. This seems like a great community!

Anyways, I'm taking a leap and I will be getting the Galaxy Nexus from Rogers when they get it next week (hopefully!). I'm coming from a Blackberry 9870 and I have a iPod Touch, so this will be a new experience for me. I've read numerous reviews and this seems like the phone for me. I was thinking about the S2, but that Touchwiz is really ugly. Stock ICS FTW!

Anyways I had a few questions! Hopefully your vast knowlege can help me out!

1. How is the data consumption on the GN? I currently have a 500MB plan and I know that won't be enough. I'll have to do some negotiating with Rogers. On average, how much data do you guys use? Can it be easily tracked?

2. WiFi. If I use WiFi where available, will the phone default to WiFi over the Carrier's Data Network?

3. What does rooting do? I've jailbroken my iPod and customized a lot of things on it. What advantages does it provide? Will I still be able to customize skins without rooting?

4. How is flash? I'd like to be able to watch videos from NBA.com or ESPN from time to time. How is the performance on the GN?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Erandarr

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
1. Depends on your usage, and since I'm on unlimited i really dont track as much. ICS has a built in data tracking and you can set limits on it. You can have the phone warn you when you get to a certain point. Also you can also have the phone turn of data once you hit your limit.

2. Yes data will route through wifi when you are on wifi

3. rooting is similar to jailbroken iphones. root access can be compared as administrative access on a pc.

4. Flash is fine, dont really see that much of a difference between pc flash and mobile flash.

bold lover

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. First post here. This seems like a great community!

Anyways, I'm taking a leap and I will be getting the Galaxy Nexus from Rogers when they get it next week (hopefully!). I'm coming from a Blackberry 9870 and I have a iPod Touch, so this will be a new experience for me. I've read numerous reviews and this seems like the phone for me. I was thinking about the S2, but that Touchwiz is really ugly. Stock ICS FTW!

Anyways I had a few questions! Hopefully your vast knowlege can help me out!

1. How is the data consumption on the GN? I currently have a 500MB plan and I know that won't be enough. I'll have to do some negotiating with Rogers. On average, how much data do you guys use? Can it be easily tracked?

2. WiFi. If I use WiFi where available, will the phone default to WiFi over the Carrier's Data Network?

3. What does rooting do? I've jailbroken my iPod and customized a lot of things on it. What advantages does it provide? Will I still be able to customize skins without rooting?

4. How is flash? I'd like to be able to watch videos from NBA.com or ESPN from time to time. How is the performance on the GN?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Welcome to the forums.

1. I had 500MB with Rogers with a Blackberry Bold and Torch and never went over 500MB. After getting the SGN( Samsung Galaxy Nexus) I hit 400MB after a few weeks. Mainly because the device is so powerful you can run so many apps you end up using more data. 500MB is doable but if you want to stream videos or radio/music I would look at switching to WIND where you can get unlimited data, voice, text for $40. WIND Mobile | Holiday Miracle You can track your data usage with pretty good detail, so you will have tools to help you track your usage.
2. The Phone will default to WiFi when available and even notify that open networks are available if you aren?t near already paired WiFi networks.
3. I?ll let the experts respond to this question.
4. Flash works well, it?s pretty cool to see web pages render on your phone exactly like they do on your desktop computer. I have not had any trouble with flash. I have heard that it does drain your battery but I haven?t really noticed any major difference, with or without it.

The one thing I can say is get the hell off of Rogers and they?re crap overpriced long term contracts. If you can, buy the phone outright and sign up for WIND Mobile. The SGN works great on this Network and the phone deserves an Unlimited Data usage plan. Rogers has a lesser known 6GB plan that you MAY be able to get but you are looking at $70/Month minimum.

Also the SGN is an incredible device, I?ve had it for a month now and I can?t put it down. It?s been an incredible jump coming from a blackberry.

1 key piece of advice, don?t try to close your apps when you?re multitasking. Leave that Blackberry mindset behind. Android wants you to experience the phone as if every app is running in the background at the same time and they pull it off nicely without the device slowing down. This was the hardest change for me to deal with coming from a Blackberry.

credgett

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Im in a similar position in that I have a Bold 9700 from Rogers and am going to upgrade to the Nexus.

I didn't think 500mb was going to be enough so I took advantage of the 6GB/$30 promo that Rogers is running. I had the three year commitment waived through retentions

Rogers is changing the way their contracts work on the 22nd so you will only have to pay the remaining device subsidy if you want to cancel plus $12.50. Definitely something to consider if you dont mind signing a contract

Mouseidt

Banned
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you should of got an Optimus V instead. who says in the same sentence"Just got a Nexus oh btw what does rooting do?" Smh

Sent from my (GSM) Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

VCman09

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just add on here. I got the Nexus! Woot! Quick question -- How should I "condition" the battery? I haven't opened it yet. Should I drain, then recharge? Does it matter?