Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Face hanging up Google Nexus phone?

I picked up two phones, one for me and one for my girlfriend.
    She's complaining off dropped calls while I don't have any issues. It looks like her face is causing the phone to hang up? Anyone else experience this? Any fixes? She's threatened to sell it and get an iPhone if I can't fix it.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Default Re: Face hanging up Google Nexus phone?

Tell her the iphone sucks.. it does.. Just make sure the screen goes black before you put it to your ear. the proximity is either too good most of the time or not at all. It's happened to me a couple times, not much. Maybe once or twice. Just make sure it goes black because yea, otherwise your face will hit the big red button on the screen...
    Smartphones to date: ~Palm Pre Plus, Droid Incredible, Droid X, HTC THUNDERBOLT~

"DROID ARMY, ASSEMBLE!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOX2 View Post
    Tell her the iphone sucks.. it does.. Just make sure the screen goes black before you put it to your ear. the proximity is either too good most of the time or not at all. It's happened to me a couple times, not much. Maybe once or twice. Just make sure it goes black because yea, otherwise your face will hit the big red button on the screen...
    she knows the iphone sucks. her last phone was the iphone 3g i got for her a few years ago. it's turned into garbage slowly but surely. she'd be fine with it if it was just as good as when she bought it...

i've started staring at her while she talks to see if i can see if she's doing anything wrong. by the looks of it the screen is black when it goes up to her face....i'm not sure what it could be. i told her to keep at it for a week or so..

This is a really old topic, so I'm sure your girlfriend has either figured something out by now - either a new phone or a way to keep the phone from hanging up, but I wanted to reply for the benefit of future readers.

The reason the phone is hanging up is because she's moving her head enough for the sensor to pick up on movement and reactivate the screen. If her face is touching the screen at that time, it will hit the hangup button because it's freaking huge and all the way across the width of the screen. I've been having this same problem with the Galaxy Nexus and it makes me so crazy. It's okay if I just hang up on my mom or something, but when I'm on the phone with, say, Verizon arguing about my phone bill, it really sucks to accidentally hang up. The solution is to hit the home button so the screen isn't on the phone app and can't hang up on the call. I really hope this helps someone deal with this extremely frustrating problem!

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

I know this is an old thread but thank you for the home button tip. I got a GSM version off the Google Play Store to use with T-Mobile pre-paid, and wasn't using it for calls until I placed some stuff for sale on Craigslist. I've hung up on callers 3-4 times. Hopefully I can avoid that now!

Global Posts
    1,111 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Quote Originally Posted by lfeuln View Post
    I know this is an old thread but thank you for the home button tip. I got a GSM version off the Google Play Store to use with T-Mobile pre-paid, and wasn't using it for calls until I placed some stuff for sale on Craigslist. I've hung up on callers 3-4 times. Hopefully I can avoid that now!
    So are you saying your brand new GSM Gnex bought from google play store is dropping calls?

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

No - it's the problem described above where I was hitting the end button accidentally.

The design may be in part to blame (also just getting used to the size compared to an iphone) but not the radio signal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Hitting HOME button works, and you won't hang up inadvertently!

Thanks Sib6!

Same problem with Nexus 5, thanks for the home button tip! Hope they'll fix this in the next android release for the nexus...

There are several free apps on Google Play that can help you resolve this issue. Search no hangup. Hope this helps.

This happens to me CONSTANTLY! The disconnect button is right where your chin would be so if you accidentally touch your face or, heaven forbid, have to hold the phone on your shoulder, it is going to hang up on you. And for me, it always does it when I'm in the middle of an important call or just before I'm about to get some info I need to write down or something. I swear it seems like it happens on purpose sometimes. Never happens when the GF is yelling at me or some other unpleasant conversation.

Thank god my contract expired 2 days ago and I can upgrade to a new phone. I liked this one but I'm looking forward to going back to a non-Google branded phone.

Global Posts
    26,146 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Have you tried locking the screen after the call connects?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    ‚Äč
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry