Planning to buy a GNex soon. Will most of the bugs be fixed?

losi501

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Wanted to buy a RAZR, but unfortunately it's not compatible with Mobilicity in Canada.

Therefore, I'm looking to buy a Nexus. However I have heard that there are many bugs, such as the speaker volume. Can we expect this to be fixed and make the speaker much louder? (not to mention other bugs)
Also, it looks like opening apps and browsing, etc is quite slow. Is this just optimization to do on Google's part?

Thanks

reg1233

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The speaker volume issue is fixed by purchasing Volume+ in the market. I have no lag what so ever when opening apps or browsing. The only lag when browsing is when a flash based webpage is loading and that's normal. No problems at all with mine! The only thing you may have to do is see which version you receive (download Android System Info app from the market.)

and follow these to make sure you get updates quicker:

How to? Change from yakjuxw to yakju - xda-developers

Change to yakju - Android Forums

It takes 10 minutes to perform and is very simple to do.

losi501

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The speaker volume issue is fixed by purchasing Volume+ in the market. I have no lag what so ever when opening apps or browsing. The only lag when browsing is when a flash based webpage is loading and that's normal. No problems at all with mine! The only thing you may have to do is see which version you receive (download Android System Info app from the market.)

and follow these to make sure you get updates quicker:

How to? Change from yakjuxw to yakju - xda-developers

Change to yakju - Android Forums

It takes 10 minutes to perform and is very simple to do.
So most of these things are easily fixed with third-party apps and will probably be fixed by Google in the future?

reg1233

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
So most of these things are easily fixed with third-party apps and will probably be fixed by Google in the future?

The volume+ app costs $1.62......easy quick fix.

The other issue is that the GSM versions come in different variants that are supposed to be locationed based. The two most popular variants are yakju & yakjuwx. Yakju is updated by Google. Yakjuwx and other variants are updated by Samsung. The Samsung updates will come, but not as fast as from Google. When you get your phone, download the app mentioned above and it will tell you which version you have. You don't have to switch variants, but when I did (I was on version 4.0.1).....I immediately got the update to 4.0.2 from Google. There is a lot of info on these forums. You'll have to do some research on your own. There are ways to put Google wallet on your phone also. It's in the forums.

I don't have ANY issues with my phone. Good luck!

losi501

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The volume+ app costs $1.62......easy quick fix.

The other issue is that the GSM versions come in different variants that are supposed to be locationed based. The two most popular variants are yakju & yakjuwx. Yakju is updated by Google. Yakjuwx and other variants are updated by Samsung. The Samsung updates will come, but not as fast as from Google. When you get your phone, download the app mentioned above and it will tell you which version you have. You don't have to switch variants, but when I did (I was on version 4.0.1).....I immediately got the update to 4.0.2 from Google. There is a lot of info on these forums. You'll have to do some research on your own. There are ways to put Google wallet on your phone also. It's in the forums.

I don't have ANY issues with my phone. Good luck!
Ah, ok. Thanks a ton for the help :)

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully the issues will be fixed without the need for 3rd party apps....the volume issue is kinda inexcusable......

Kaoxt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
If your big on music on the phone, you may want to wait as well. The app crashes half the time and it will destroy your ears and you will have to reboot the phone by taking out the battery.

Also there are a ton of screen issues with the phone, but most likely this will be the case for all the OLED screens, but some will be worse then the others.

I went through 10 Galaxy Nexus's and had enough with them. Great operating system though. =) Samsung just dropped the ball big time IMO.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
If your big on music on the phone, you may want to wait as well. The app crashes half the time and it will destroy your ears and you will have to reboot the phone by taking out the battery.

Also there are a ton of screen issues with the phone, but most likely this will be the case for all the OLED screens, but some will be worse then the others.

I went through 10 Galaxy Nexus's and had enough with them. Great operating system though. =) Samsung just dropped the ball big time IMO.

Who gave you 10 GSM galaxy nexus? Embellish a tad?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Kaoxt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Who gave you 10 GSM galaxy nexus? Embellish a tad?

Exchanges from multiple sites, hoping to get a "right" one, although "right" would vary depending on opinion from user. To be exact I went through 11, but decided to round it down. :D

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Exchanges from multiple sites, hoping to get a "right" one, although "right" would vary depending on opinion from user. To be exact I went through 11, but decided to round it down. :D

Yeah, your one of those. Which isn't indicative to how well the nexus works. Anyone who claims to get 11 bad phones isn't likely to be taken serious, regardless of who makes it.

Kaoxt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, your one of those. Which isn't indicative to how well the nexus works. Anyone who claims to get 11 bad phones isn't likely to be taken serious, regardless of who makes it.

If you read up on the screen issues and have had poor experiences with Samsung on products you may be in the same boat. The screen issues is a well known issue though sadly. Going by some of your posts you just received the GN, so haven't had the problems most likely yet that you will experience in a month or two. It gets worse over a month or two time frame. :(

My initial impression on the phone was it was the best thing ever created until I started reading up on the phone in forums etc. where the screen banding issues etc. really started to bug me and became very noticeable on almost every view.

Samsung has some big issues with quality control though, that's for sure...

Last edited:
Reactions: kharrigan

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I dunno about this thread. I may be ignorant of these "problems" because I've enjoyed the (Verizon) Gnex from late December 2011.

IMHO there is no perfect phone. There's always something to nitpick.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

reg1233

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Same here, I've had my gsm GNex since the 1st week of December and I've had NO problems with anything listed here in the forums. Also, most people don't comment if there aren't any issues and for all the complaints listed here.....there have to be many many more not having any issues. If you look at any phone in the forums, there are going to be complaints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz