Home and multitasking button

Georgeph

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
On the galaxy nexus... the multitasking button should reduce the current application to a card. Having to hit the home button then the multitasking button is an unnecessary extra step to swipe away a card. Think webOS, one press then swipe away.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
On the galaxy nexus... the multitasking button should reduce the current application to a card. Having to hit the home button then the multitasking button is an unnecessary extra step to swipe away a card. Think webOS, one press then swipe away.

Well its pretty close to web os multitasking already, since u can swipe away the app windows. But, maybe Google will improve it in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Georgeph

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
yes very close to webOS. Don't get me wrong i love the phone. It just seems weird to have the extra step. Maybe its a patent issue.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It isn't a multi tasking button. It is a visual representation of the recent apps. There is absolutely no reason the app thats currently open should be included in that list until you're no longer using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Georgeph

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
"It isn't a multi tasking button. It is a visual representation of the recent apps. There is absolutely no reason the app thats currently open should be included in that list until you're no longer using it."

Ok its a recent app button but it alows you to view and switch between recent or in my case still in use applications. It would be one less step to switch between running apps by having the recent app / multi tasking button to reduce the application in use.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
"It isn't a multi tasking button. It is a visual representation of the recent apps. There is absolutely no reason the app thats currently open should be included in that list until you're no longer using it."

Ok its a recent app button but it alows you to view and switch between recent or in my case still in use applications. It would be one less step to switch between running apps by having the recent app / multi tasking button to reduce the application in use.

You don't understand the purpose. If you're still in an app, there's absolutely no reason it needs to be in that list until you leave it.

Georgeph

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
You don't understand the purpose. If you're still in an app, there's absolutely no reason it needs to be in that list until you leave it.

Push one button to reduce your current app, find another application that you have to check, then push that same button to reduce to switch back to your original.

Exactly what the phone does now with the home and recent app button just would be one less step...

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Push one button to reduce your current app, find another application that you have to check, then push that same button to reduce to switch back to your original.

Exactly what the phone does now with the home and recent app button just would be one less step...

You're not getting it. The number of steps doesn't matter. It has nothing to do with it. The menu shows a list of your recent apps and does not include the app you're currently in. That is by design, because if you're still in the app it is not a 'recent app' because it is still open. You're thinking the menu is something that it isn't.

Georgeph

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I think we're on a different page. I guess if you ever owned a webOS device then you would know what I'm talking about.
I was hoping Matias Duarte or another designer would see this post and consider incoporating it in an update.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think we're on a different page. I guess if you ever owned a webOS device then you would know what I'm talking about.
I was hoping Matias Duarte or another designer would see this post and consider incoporating it in an update.

I've used WebOS so I know what you're talking about. But the two concepts are different. The ux design and philosophy of android is too different from that of WebOS for it to work the way you're describing.

Georgeph

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
All i was doing is suggesting hitting one button instead of two...
Lets look at it this way. The home button closes/hides the app right? Where does it go? Into the recent app / card view list right? So what do you have to do to close it out completly, hit the recent app button then swipe it away.
How about if we could just hit the recent app button, the current app goes into card view and we swipe it away. One less step right?

bmw3wags

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
All i was doing is suggesting hitting one button instead of two...
Lets look at it this way. The home button closes/hides the app right? Where does it go? Into the recent app / card view list right? So what do you have to do to close it out completly, hit the recent app button then swipe it away.
How about if we could just hit the recent app button, the current app goes into card view and we swipe it away. One less step right?

You do realize that swiping away a recent app doesn't close it if its running in the background it only removes it from the recent app list.

ppeklak

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that swiping away a recent app doesn't close it if its running in the background it only removes it from the recent app list.

"[?]morrildl 7 points8 points9 points 2 months ago

Hitting the Back button is (in the absence of an app explicitly installing a handler for the Back button) defined to be having the framework call finish() on the Activity. This is literally what the system does, it calls instance.finish().

Swiping away an app out of the recents list invokes a for () { } loop over the app's task stack, calling finish() on each Activity in order. If there is only one Activity in the list (as is usually the case for most apps), this is literally the same thing as hitting Back. If you want to be pedantic, I suppose it might be more accurate to say "it is literally the same thing as hitting Back repeatedly until you get to Home".

police_frutality's observation about onDestroy() is a red herring because onDestroy() is never guaranteed to be called, ever. You'll typically see different behavior for this depending on how much memory pressure the framework is under, whether you're running on a device or emulator, which device you're running on, etc. The circumstances in which finish() is called also make a difference.

So, that is why the mechanism is "literally the same". I can't explain why reddit is downvoting you, however."

police_fruitality comments on I'd like to squash this growing misconception before it gets unbelievably out of hand (like task killers): in ICS, the button on the right is not multitasking. It's recent apps.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The home button can retain the same function just the recent app button will be able to reduce to card view if needed.

Stop calling it card view. What Android has is completely different than what webos had. They are different functions and have no relation to each other.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk