Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By midimench
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    The title speaks for itself. Basically I can't move files to or from my Nexus. My PC does one of two things:

    1) Windows gets stuck on the "Calculating time to copy files" window, and won't go on to do anything. The window showing the Nexus' file system turns unresponsive.

    2) When copying an mkv to my Nexus, where as I would usually be asked whether I'm sure I want to proceed as it might not be able to play the file, windows just crashes, ie. Windows Explorer crashes and restarts. This happens the moment I hit paste or drag onto my Nexus' file.

    I've tried AirDroid but the app reboots after 3.2GB and the zip file is corrupted, while WiFi file transfer (paid) won't work at all.

    I can appreciate all the help you can give me folks, otherwise after my exams I'll either get an HTC One X or move to Windows Phone and a Nokia. Don't want to do either cause I love my Nexus! Anyway, thanks again!
    If I've been of assistance help me get some more Dropbox space http://db.tt/AL3XE4e2
  2. #2  
    dbareis's Avatar

    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    MTP sucks big time, I use "SyncMe Wireless" (SyncMe Wireless - Android app on AppBrain) to sync whole "sdcard" to my PC (I use one way), that way I have a reliable backup.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. #3  
    clashRAINN's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    ROM
    CM7, CM9, Bugless Beast

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Are you using the Samsung cable that came with the phone? That cable doesn't work for me... I had to use a different cable in order to use adb to root my Nexus. Also, if that doesn't fix the problem try turning on USB debugging... you shouldn't have to do this but I had a similar problem transferring files and everything worked after I turned on USB debugging.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    This may sound like a weird suggestion, but it seems the DivX codec installed on your PC can cause the problem where copying mkv files to a GN crashes Windows. If you delete this codec, you may be able to copy the files fine. Of course, this is a little impractical, so it's probably best to find a wifi transfer program that works.
  5. #5  
    bagarwa's Avatar

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    In my case, DivX file copying crashes the windows explorer. I've tried everything anyone ever said on any forum, and still couldn't transfer anything other than pictures, audio and video [Basically - MEDIA of Media transfer protocol]. Started using dropbox to copy files from point a to point b.

    BTW, one question for you emmib. How did you get AirDroid working on Galaxy Nexus? I gave it a spin couple of times, but the url shown on the device doesn't open anything on my laptop browser. Even the airdroid app description on the market says "ICS 4.o.x not supported. Please let me know as I just loved what this app claimed it could do.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by clashRAINN View Post
    Are you using the Samsung cable that came with the phone? That cable doesn't work for me... I had to use a different cable in order to use adb to root my Nexus. Also, if that doesn't fix the problem try turning on USB debugging... you shouldn't have to do this but I had a similar problem transferring files and everything worked after I turned on USB debugging.
    I've tried using my Galaxy Nexus cable AND my Motorola Xoom cable, but no luck. I've just tried to install the drivers through the ADK, will see how it goes.
    If I've been of assistance help me get some more Dropbox space http://db.tt/AL3XE4e2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by bagarwa View Post
    In my case, DivX file copying crashes the windows explorer. I've tried everything anyone ever said on any forum, and still couldn't transfer anything other than pictures, audio and video [Basically - MEDIA of Media transfer protocol]. Started using dropbox to copy files from point a to point b.

    BTW, one question for you emmib. How did you get AirDroid working on Galaxy Nexus? I gave it a spin couple of times, but the url shown on the device doesn't open anything on my laptop browser. Even the airdroid app description on the market says "ICS 4.o.x not supported. Please let me know as I just loved what this app claimed it could do.
    I just followed the instructions on screen. It works fantastically, but the connection seems to time out for no reason. The app listing says that ICS 4.0.x support is patchy now, try updating the app.
    If I've been of assistance help me get some more Dropbox space http://db.tt/AL3XE4e2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by pinwheel herman View Post
    This may sound like a weird suggestion, but it seems the DivX codec installed on your PC can cause the problem where copying mkv files to a GN crashes Windows. If you delete this codec, you may be able to copy the files fine. Of course, this is a little impractical, so it's probably best to find a wifi transfer program that works.
    Do you know how I can do this? At this point I'm willing to give anything a try. Like I said I love my Nexus, but this problem is rendering it useless for me.
    If I've been of assistance help me get some more Dropbox space http://db.tt/AL3XE4e2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    What I can't understand is why Windows just hangs for a simple copy and paste. I've tried dragging one file to another too, no luck.

    However, it seems ok with transfers of a few kb.
    If I've been of assistance help me get some more Dropbox space http://db.tt/AL3XE4e2
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by dbareis View Post
    MTP sucks big time, I use "SyncMe Wireless" (SyncMe Wireless - Android app on AppBrain) to sync whole "sdcard" to my PC (I use one way), that way I have a reliable backup.
    Timely. After a small drop on the floor last night, my phone decided to spaz out and start bootlooping all night. (Apparently... I only found out when I woke up late because my alarm didn't go off and was greeted with endless boot animations.)

    Since a good long battery pull seems to have it behaving for the time being, at least -- *finds piece of wood* ... *knocks hard* -- I figured I better make a decent backup ASAP but Windows Explorer MTP transfer kept taking a dump halfway through any large file (e.g. nandroid backups).

    Found this thread, now running SyncMe Wireless as we speak -- suggestion much appreciated! To my amazement, I actually managed to get it working over the office wifi network with a Win7 virtual machine hosted on a Mac... all within about 5 minutes. I'm suspicious: it was almost too easy... Not terribly fast, but easy.

    It would be nice if the app had an option to exclude selected subfolders, so I could do everything in one job while excluding music. But right now I'll take what I can get.
  11. #11  
    midimench's Avatar

    Posts
    12 Posts
    ROM
    BAMF_Paradigm_2.3.1_Toro

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    I had and fixed the same problem. First be sure you have the latest update 4.02. Use the normal cable that came with it. Open up the folders and either create a new document, music or picture folder after erasing the original ones or create folders with similar names, like photos, MP3's and document instead of documents. Transfer the files you want. You can always use a android utility called es file explorer (once you disconnect the USB cable) to move your copied files into the correct folders after the fact and delete the ones you created. The next time, it will just work....I have no idea why
    Thanked by:
    5n1p17 
    Jonneh and 5n1p17 like this.
  12. #12  
    bagarwa's Avatar

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by midimench View Post
    I had and fixed the same problem. First be sure you have the latest update 4.02. Use the normal cable that came with it. Open up the folders and either create a new document, music or picture folder after erasing the original ones or create folders with similar names, like photos, MP3's and document instead of documents. Transfer the files you want. You can always use a android utility called es file explorer (once you disconnect the USB cable) to move your copied files into the correct folders after the fact and delete the ones you created. The next time, it will just work....I have no idea why
    I never had problem accessing the normal media files. Well, very rarely. But the other files like the backups created by Titanium Backup or app backups created by ES App manager - they play hard to get on computer.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by midimench View Post
    I had and fixed the same problem. First be sure you have the latest update 4.02. Use the normal cable that came with it. Open up the folders and either create a new document, music or picture folder after erasing the original ones or create folders with similar names, like photos, MP3's and document instead of documents. Transfer the files you want. You can always use a android utility called es file explorer (once you disconnect the USB cable) to move your copied files into the correct folders after the fact and delete the ones you created. The next time, it will just work....I have no idea why
    No luck I'm afraid. To be completely honest I can't even test out your suggestion, and here's why:

    When I select the Documents file to delete, I'm informed that the device has been disconnected. When I reconnect the device, the file's gone.
    When I create a New Folder, type in the name Documents and hit enter, the window freezes and turns unresponsive. I've reinstalled drivers, but no luck. I'm starting to think it's an issue with my phone :/
    If I've been of assistance help me get some more Dropbox space http://db.tt/AL3XE4e2
  14. #14  
    bagarwa's Avatar

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Thumbs down Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    I've now given up hope on ever getting this to work the normal way. Even the Bluetooth file transfer doesn't work. Nexus and PC pair well but when it comes to transferring file from one to another, it's a no go. Device manager says some driver are missing and just won't honor the file transfer. The airdroid also doesn't work. So I've been using box and dropbox to copy files between my two devices. Sad.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by bagarwa View Post
    I've now given up hope on ever getting this to work the normal way. Even the Bluetooth file transfer doesn't work. Nexus and PC pair well but when it comes to transferring file from one to another, it's a no go. Device manager says some driver are missing and just won't honor the file transfer. The airdroid also doesn't work. So I've been using box and dropbox to copy files between my two devices. Sad.
    I think sometime over the past two weeks some file corrupted the system. I'm going to try a factory reset, then root. Apparently 4.0.3 solves these problems. Only one way to find out
    If I've been of assistance help me get some more Dropbox space http://db.tt/AL3XE4e2
  16. #16  
    dbareis's Avatar

    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by emmib View Post
    When I select the Documents file to delete, I'm informed that the device has been disconnected. When I reconnect the device, the file's gone.
    When I create a New Folder, type in the name Documents and hit enter, the window freezes and turns unresponsive. I've reinstalled drivers, but no luck. I'm starting to think it's an issue with my phone :/
    I'd use Astro (or similar) to validate existence or otherwise of any file and folder as MTP (or MTP via Windows is flakey).

    Anyone know how you can check the integrity of the phones file system?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by dbareis View Post
    I'd use Astro (or similar) to validate existence or otherwise of any file and folder as MTP (or MTP via Windows is flakey).

    Anyone know how you can check the integrity of the phones file system?
    I've been thinking just that actually. I'm certain it's something wrong with the partition 'cause every time I try to do something to the sdcard partition, even through my phone, I get an error message telling that android.media has been force close........

    EDIT: It's android.process.media that's acting up. Closed twice in the past 20 minutes or so while I'm compressing all my important folders into 1 zip file to uload through dropbox. On my phone, not the PC.
    If I've been of assistance help me get some more Dropbox space http://db.tt/AL3XE4e2
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Right, so here's an update. I did a factory restore and went ahead with rooting it. Just after unlocking the bootloader (which cleared the Nexus' internal memory) I had no issues transferring files from my PC to the Nexus. Now I'm rooted, running AOKP 4.0.3. Transfers are fantastic, so there might be some truth to the rumors that 4.0.2 has some bugs in it. Will update as I go along.
    If I've been of assistance help me get some more Dropbox space http://db.tt/AL3XE4e2
  19. #19  
    JackG058's Avatar

    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Quote Originally Posted by clashRAINN View Post
    Are you using the Samsung cable that came with the phone? That cable doesn't work for me... I had to use a different cable in order to use adb to root my Nexus. Also, if that doesn't fix the problem try turning on USB debugging... you shouldn't have to do this but I had a similar problem transferring files and everything worked after I turned on USB debugging.
    Thanks for the USB debugging tip. That did it for me. I was having the identical issue. Clicked that box and boom, the copy over took off.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    SOLVED!!!!!!

    download ES file explorer from play store (its free)
    then put the video files that wont copy into a zip folder (any program will do but must be a .zip file type)

    copy to android device, then using ES fie explorer extract the files to desired location
    and enjoy....

    i recommend using the vlc beta version to play all file types on android devices works great and it free!!!

    enjoy



    Quote Originally Posted by emmib View Post
    The title speaks for itself. Basically I can't move files to or from my Nexus. My PC does one of two things:

    1) Windows gets stuck on the "Calculating time to copy files" window, and won't go on to do anything. The window showing the Nexus' file system turns unresponsive.

    2) When copying an mkv to my Nexus, where as I would usually be asked whether I'm sure I want to proceed as it might not be able to play the file, windows just crashes, ie. Windows Explorer crashes and restarts. This happens the moment I hit paste or drag onto my Nexus' file.

    I've tried AirDroid but the app reboots after 3.2GB and the zip file is corrupted, while WiFi file transfer (paid) won't work at all.

    I can appreciate all the help you can give me folks, otherwise after my exams I'll either get an HTC One X or move to Windows Phone and a Nokia. Don't want to do either cause I love my Nexus! Anyway, thanks again!
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    I ran across this post and wanted to post my workaround in case someone else has this problem.
    This happened to me with my Samsung Galaxy note 2. Whenever i tried to copy a media file to the SD card windows explorer crashed.
    Like a poster above said, the problem was always the divx codec.

    I solved the problem by doing the following:
    1. remove the extension from the file (in my case it was a .mkv so movie.mkv became movie)
    2. copy the file to the sd card
      [*from the android device, ]rename the file and add the extension back to it (movie becomes movie.mkv)
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    AOKP ROMs have a fast charge/sub charge setting in the ROM control tab under settings. If it's on you will not be able yo connect as a media device = no transfer.
    Just a thought...

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Uninstalling the DIVX codec absolutely worked for me! Thanks for the tip!
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Uninstalling the DivX codec solved the issue! Thanks for the tip!
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

    Midimench, thank you so much for posting this fix. When I first read your post, I really thought it was a long shot, but I considered it because I was able to transfer files off of my gnexus with no problem.

    After I tried your fix, I was able to transfer files to my gnexus with no problem at all. Thank you so much for this post! Man, I hadn't been able to successfully transfer files to my gnexus for months. I seriously gave up on it and wanted to try one last fix before quitting altogether. Thank you again for this post!

Posting Permissions