Did you get the 4.0.4 update yet?

garryweil

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the GSM Yakju Galaxy Nexus and my OTA update came about four days ago. I'm not happy with it. My mobile and wireless reception has gotten worse. Also my battery life is not as good. I'm thinking about installing a custom ROM or falling back to 4.0.2 (icl53f). Is anyone else seeing these issues?

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't resisit the $399 offer so I purchased and just received my new GN from Google Play :D
As many have already mentioned within minutes after getting my GN set up I recieved an update message, which updated without issue.
So far so good, and just as smooth as I remember my previous GN to be ;)

Interesting: Downloaded Android System info and noticed under system OS that I am on "takju" vs. "yakju" since it updated fine I am not going to change it.

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Please consider unlocking and root.
The Galaxy Nexus is crazy as you know...
but WoW!

sent from a Android device :)
I'm always on!

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Interesting: Downloaded Android System info and noticed under system OS that I am on "takju" vs. "yakju" since it updated fine I am not going to change it.

Takju is the US version of Galaxy Nexus (the ones bought from Google directly). Don't believe the Update Checker. Takju is a Google build, which comes straight from Google. You can download the stock image from them if you wanted to. The link is right next to the YAKJU build.

The difference? TAKJU as Wallet built in, YAKJU doesn't. That's it. I flashed TAKJU so I could pretend I got my EU phone directly from Google :) (oh, and so I could have Wallet. It doesn't show up in the market with T-Mo, and the "browser trick" seems to have been patched)

olliex11

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I decided to take the plunge and unlock my bootloader. Why I never did it when I first got the phone I'll never know... (on a side note, when I tried a factory reset that didn't work either)

Followed the quide on here about unlocking, and then followed the guide that Alex wrote on upgrading from 0.2 to 0.4 (both well written and easy to follow with minimal effort required really) and everything works a treat now. So I'm a happy owner again :D:D

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
:cool:
Takju is the US version of Galaxy Nexus (the ones bought from Google directly). Don't believe the Update Checker. Takju is a Google build, which comes straight from Google. You can download the stock image from them if you wanted to. The link is right next to the YAKJU build.

The difference? TAKJU as Wallet built in, YAKJU doesn't. That's it. I flashed TAKJU so I could pretend I got my EU phone directly from Google :) (oh, and so I could have Wallet. It doesn't show up in the market with T-Mo, and the "browser trick" seems to have been patched)

I didn't know that good information, thanks for sharing :cool:

nipper_net

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
got my 4.0.4 a week ago , but its caused more problems than its helped , following apps now fail or crash , plants v zombies , filmon , euronews , livestation ( mainly any streaming app has sound but no picture ) when i bought my nexus it had 4.0.2 , and all my apps worked , guess if your nexus is working perfectly then dont upgrade as it might be a mistake like i have.

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
got my 4.0.4 a week ago , but its caused more problems than its helped , following apps now fail or crash , plants v zombies , filmon , euronews , livestation ( mainly any streaming app has sound but no picture ) when i bought my nexus it had 4.0.2 , and all my apps worked , guess if your nexus is working perfectly then dont upgrade as it might be a mistake like i have.

I'll bet that's why the non-yakju devices never got the update. My guess is they send out another yakju update and see how it does before the non-yakju ever see 4.0.4. There just seems to be too many problems with 4.0.4 right now.

wetsqueegee

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
i have yakju and my phone updated to 4.0.4 while in Jamaica in the resort lobby. my wife has the exact phone didn't bring it with her and shes still on 4.0.1 odd?

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
This is my first "pure" Google phone and even though I do like it I'm not impressed at all with the updates. Mine is still 4.0.2 from December ...almost 6 months ago! I don't have mine unlocked or anything. I was under the impression that the google phones got the updates right away....why should I have to unlock and root to get updates?.... ridiculous.

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
This is my first "pure" Google phone and even though I do like it I'm not impressed at all with the updates. Mine is still 4.0.2 from December ...almost 6 months ago! I don't have mine unlocked or anything. I was under the impression that the google phones got the updates right away....why should I have to unlock and root to get updates?.... ridiculous.

I suspect it may be because both 4.0.4 updates are causing connection issues to a lot (but not all) phones. Many with the problems wish they could go back to 4.0.2. You may very well be better off without it until they can determine what's causing it and who will be affected.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the GSM Yakju Galaxy Nexus and my OTA update came about four days ago. I'm not happy with it. My mobile and wireless reception has gotten worse. Also my battery life is not as good. I'm thinking about installing a custom ROM or falling back to 4.0.2 (icl53f). Is anyone else seeing these issues?

Hi, I just returned my nexus to Google well, to Samsung, after having the phone for about 12 hours. It came out of the box with the latest version of 4.04 on it. The phone had horrible, mostly no cell signal, the data speeds were also really bad, average 342k down, 164k up. And when I did have a cell signal it was 1 or 2 bars at the most, AT&T said sorry we do not support that phone. I'm waiting on my exchange Nexus, if it's no better, I'll just send it back and pay the restock fee. I don't even feel right about selling one of these to anyone on Ebay. For reference, I have 3 other AT&T Android phones, all of which get good cell signal, and much, much higher data speeds.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
After supporting android devices or years now, I've come to my breaking point, and had enough!
We go back and forth about which device is the best. But really I'm starting to see that android is crap!
google is crap, and iOS is on. at least for me. How come we always have to beg ,and root to receive updates?

That just sucks.... They introduce a new device almost every day darn near, and not even providing support for them. They leave 6mo old devices out to die, like they are OLD...?.? When he competition updates everything. I'm no fool, and refuse to back Google, when they haven't backed me. My best device was the evo 4g. THen android went down hill. ;(
I have a rooted gnex on vwz. That would be stuck on old ass 4.0.2!!!!!

It's not fair, and bad for business. I'm not just boycotting htc. (locked bootloaders)I'm done with this crap until they start showing me that they are out of the beta stage.

Like I said its not fair. We pay a great deal of cash for these so called high end devices. Only to find out that no update is coming. Ugh!
I just read that Motorola issued a blog stating that some of their devices that was promised to be serviced for 18 mos will not be updated to ics. Why??

Think about what we pay per month on our data plans. Only to get the run around from our carriers. Sorry but Apple and iOS don't play that .

I love my friends that I made on here. So please understand this very heartbroken soul. I always up talked, android. Only to look foolish in the end. I could go on about how they even kill our resale value by over producing these devices. Save yourselves from the utter disappointment and move on.

Thanks devs for at least picking up googles slack. Android Wouldn't have lasted without you guys and girls!

Done I tell ya......

Ps they won't change unless we start to take a stand. I say we jump ship!!!!

Sent from my iPad2
using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's 4.0.4 that's really the issue. It's Samsuck's poor harware. This is my first and last Samsuck device. I hope the rumors of multiple vendor Nexus devices for the next gen are true!

Reactions: axne1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21