Gsm Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 update changes /enhancements

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I figured since Google hasnt released a change log for the 4.0.4 update, there should be a post with noticeable changes/enhancements.
I had a yakjuxw and was sick of waiting for Samsung to send out an update. I unlocked the bootloader and flashed yakju, used the checkin method and BOOM, update was pushed.
So far, coming from 4.0.2, I noticed that the app drawer is more fluid, battery has improved (to soon to tell how much that has improved). Also noticed that if you hold power button, different options are there now( ie change the ringer). The browser is more responsive and there are more quick controls. There is now a dock setting in the phone settings which I thought was cool. Though I'm not going to spend 90$ on a Samsung dock.
If you noticed anything else, post it!

Last edited:

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: After one full day of testing, my battery has definitely improved and the android os bug has been squashed. My phone was on for 13 hrs 15min, battery was at 44%. I had "4g" running most of the day (even in my basement where 4g is around 100dbm). I usex the Internet frequently throughout the day, and streamed 30min of music. The android system only consumed 4% vs the original 20% average.
Also noticed that the app switcher is quicker, screen rotates quicker too.
I should note that I have the Samsung extended 2000mah battery.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I figured since Google hasnt released a change log for the 4.0.4 update, there should be a post with noticeable changes/enhancements.
I had a yakjuxw and was sick of waiting for Samsung to send out an update. I unlocked the bootloader and flashed yakju, used the checkin method and BOOM, update was pushed.
So far, coming from 4.0.2, I noticed that the app drawer is more fluid, battery has improved (to soon to tell how much that has improved). Also noticed that if you hold power button, different options are there now( ie change the ringer). The browser is more responsive and there are more quick controls. There is now a dock setting in the phone settings which I thought was cool. Though I'm not going to spend 90$ on a Samsung dock.
If you noticed anything else, post it!

Hi what's the "checkin" method? I have a yakju GSM Galaxy Nexus but I still can't get 4.0.4 to push (I hit the "check now" button about 5 times a day!).

My desktop dock is coming in a week or so and I really want 4.0.4 so it works correctly, any tips to force this would be appreciated, otherwise I'll have to finally unlock my bootloader and then start over.

jasonjuiceon

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi what's the "checkin" method? I have a yakju GSM Galaxy Nexus but I still can't get 4.0.4 to push (I hit the "check now" button about 5 times a day!).

My desktop dock is coming in a week or so and I really want 4.0.4 so it works correctly, any tips to force this would be appreciated, otherwise I'll have to finally unlock my bootloader and then start over.

Go to your dial pad.
Dial:
*#*#checkin#*#*

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think upgrading to 4.0.4 will break root.

UPDATE 2: Battery was at 59% after 12hrs 15min. Wifi was on for 9hrs, and "4g" was on for 2hrs. Browsed the web for most of the day, no games and only 1 video. The android os was at 3%. I'm very happy with the new update.

Last edited:

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
How can you guys tell how long your battery was performing?

Is it at the settings > battery menu? Does it tell you hoe long the battery last after a full charge?

Can anyone explain it to me, briefly?

I just got my Nexus yesterday with 4.0.4 and I can't lie, the battery is a lil better then i expected. Its just takes forever to charge.

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Go to phone settings, battery, and there you will see the battery stats broken down between system apps and third party apps. Press the top graphic and there will display the time the phone was on battery and graph in detail the battery's progression throughout the day. Hope this helps!

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!

When I look at the graph, how can I tell when or what time did it start clocking the battery?

Let say if I charge it all night, unplug it at 9am, an its fully charged will that start the graph from scratch?

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The time starts when you unplug the phone. You can tell by looking at the graph after a few minutes of the phone being on battery. Graph will usually be a flat line and "time on battery " will be low.

In that situation, I don't know. I turn my phone off while its plugged in. When I turn it back on, it starts at zero. You may want to experiment with both turning phone off an d leaving it on when you charge it. In either case, if you leave your phone on while charging it to 100%., make a mental note of the time when you unplugged it just in case the battery stat doesn't reset.

Zymm

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I have an unlocked GSM GNex that is yakju which hasn't gotten its update to 4.0.4 yet. I tried the checkin method and received a successful checkin notification however it still doesn't update to 4.0.4. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jak

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I read on another thread that you can go to settings, apps, all apps, Google framework services, clear data, force stop, and then try the checkin method. This seems to have worked for others. Its worth a shot. Good luck!

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE 3: I noticed now with the latest update 4.0.4, my phone never goes above 96 degrees. For example, on 4.0.2 my phone's temp would raise up to 100+ when it was plugged in and watching videos on YouTube. Use to worry me.

xkon

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
No OTA love for me. Rooted flashed and now at 4.0.4. Lets see if it improves the battery life!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If you flashed 4.0.4 from the AOSP you should notice a definite improvement with battery life. I can't speak for any other 4.0.4 roms.

Post any changes you notice that aren't mentioned in earlier posts. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36