Poll: Lets compare the GN's battery life after the 4.0.4 upgrade

What's your GN's battery life after the ICS 4.0.4 update ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beck79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Till now I got more than 2days and 20 hours out of my GN. I haven't seen this much in any phone that I owned for quiet a while.

So I was curious of the battery life of all the Galaxy Nexus's out there after the 4.0.4 update.

I have screen brightness set to minimum and I switch on 4G/3G only when required. Its been normal usage with light browsing (both Wi-Fi and 3G), voice calls, playing angry birds etc.

Reactions: Squawkt22

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea how you managed that out of your Nexus. Even with conservative use of wifi, "4g", browsing, etc, I have only managed to max out my Nexus to about 13hr 15 with 60+ % remaining. Mind you I have the standard Samsung extended battery. This is with 4.0.4, not rooted and 4g off most of the time.

beck79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Poll: Lets compare the GN's battery life after the 4.0.4 upgr

Mine is 'unrooted' with stock ICS 4.0.4 (yakju build which I flashed long back) and an unlocked bootloader.
I have a standard battery. I have only 2 widgets in my desktop, 1 weather and a calender. I have most google stuff like google+ disabled.
I was pretty surprised with my battery life, because my wife's iphone 4 doesn't last a day in the same conditions, though the iPhone doesn't have the best battery.

friguy3#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

you cant talk about battery life unless you are on the stock battery otherwise this makes no sense. cant compare a stock battery lasting 10 hours and a super extended battery lasting 2 days. people get into these conversations...how do you make your phone last 2 days?!? i cant get past 10 hours....because his battery is twice as big!!

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

I'm rockin the Seidio "Hunchback" 3800 so I just go balls to the walls with Bluetooth, GPS and brightness. I've even got a spare "Hunch" but I've never had to use it! What, me worry?

downbeat4

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

How is this possible, I'm going though 2 ext (2100mAh) batteriesma day. I've tried Franco and now Lean....I'm getting frustrated now, but im happy for you :mad:

chicostyles

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site

Um yeah I just drained my battery all the way then charged it all the way went into recovery and deleted my battery stats so I would start fresh & my phones went all the way down to 70% in just 25mins of use on Facebook & internet use and I'm on AOKP 31build wit colbalt theme...I just come to terms dat:'( battery life suxz on any rom or stock!!!

SQ609

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site

Can someone tell me when will the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is getting updated? I'm still on 4.0.2 But I keep reading about people being updated to 4.0.4 Thanks.

dukestraykker

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Um yeah I just drained my battery all the way then charged it all the way went into recovery and deleted my battery stats so I would start fresh & my phones went all the way down to 70% in just 25mins of use on Facebook & internet use and I'm on AOKP 31build wit colbalt theme...I just come to terms dat:'( battery life suxz on any rom or stock!!!

Dont delete your battery stats file... this does nothing to increase, improve or extend your battery life. If anything it could detriment your battery quality and life.

butler360

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Can someone tell me when will the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is getting updated? I'm still on 4.0.2 But I keep reading about people being updated to 4.0.4 Thanks.

I'm pretty sure most people are not "getting updated" to 4.0.4, rather they are going out and installing it themselves. You can get a custom 4.0.4 ROM or just download a "stock" version for your Verizon Nexus.

Reactions: SQ609

crookone10

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone noticed on 4.0.4 when you screen dims or the brightness is low greys and some other dark colors look really blue? I know this thread is about battery life but while I have everyone here that is on 4.0.4 I thought I was ask real quick.

SQ609

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site

Now can someone tell me how to get a custom or "stock" 4.0.4 update on my UNROOTED Samsung Galaxy Nexus from Verizon? Thanks.

goober007

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

I am under Rogers gsm here in Canada, and we're still at 4.0.1 After getting fed up of waiting, I manually installed 4.0.4. My battery life has gone from less than a day (I would have to recharge in the evening), to being able to last a full day.

I am very happy with 4.0.4. Now i just got to get my battery widget to update consistently.

SQ609

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site

Is your phone rooted? Because I'm not rooted and I would like to know how I can update from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4. I'm on Verizon. Thanks.

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site

After 4.0.4 my battery life seems a little better, if anything. I can usually make it through a complete 8am to around midnight weekday on one charge. That's using it quite a bit, mind you: 3G on, Wifi on at work/home, screen at 1/2 brightness, using GPS, Maps, Facebook, Chrome, SMS, MMS, GroupMe.... you name it.

I'm pretty impressed so far.

Bootloader unlocked, rooted. What I'm NOT impressed with, so far, is the lack of improvement to the camera's output, the occasional loss of signal/data that I never had on 4.0.2, and the occasional lock-up/reboot while recharging my phone that I never had before.

Also, the fact that my phone will notify me of an SMS and then it promptly disappears every now and then is still a problem. I've watched happen right before my eyes with the screen on. This happened on 4.0.2 on my Verizon Nexus and my GSM Nexus, and not on my GSM Nexus with 4.0.4.

NYCBest

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I don't know how you guys get more than a day. When I work from home and am on wifi all day I'll get 16 hrs before needing a charge (~20% left). When I go into the city to work, which adds 2 hours or listening to music and reading Marvel, I get about 7 hours before phone is dead. I've tried several different battery saving apps, I installed BetterBattery Stats and there are no wake locks. Not sure why I can't get better battery, but sadly the very poor battery life has me thinking of getting the next iPhone. My girlfriend can use her iPhone all day, constantly playing games and will still go 2 days without needing a charge. :'(

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

For all the folks who get multi-day battery life, seems the key is not using the phone very much. :)

There is so little empiricism in battery talk. :-( Just look at this poll? How do people compare daily use with no details beyond how long the battery lasted?

From all that I've seen, the screen is by far the biggest drain. So I don't see how the OS would help that too much.
Brightness (and black background on OLED) are significant, so may be some are able to conserve there (no outdoor use, etc).

Dropped/marginal 4G seems huge too, so perhaps that can be helped; but I've not seen big improvement in avoiding 4G drops with 4.0.4.

just my 2c

beck79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

From all that I've seen, the screen is by far the biggest drain. So I don't see how the OS would help that too much.
Brightness (and black background on OLED) are significant, so may be some are able to conserve there (no outdoor use, etc).
just my 2c
You are correct that there are lot of factors affecting battery drain.
Before 4.0.4, I used to get about 1d 5-10hrs battery life with similar settings and nominal usage. With 4.0.4 there definitely seems to be an increase in battery life. So the OS updates can definitely improve battery life. I noticed that the OS has reduced timeouts waiting for non-responsive apps, which is a good sign, this means they have improved app/service monitoring in the OS.
I am happy that I can make the phone last about 2 days (or even more than 1day), which for such a big screen smartphone is awesome, IMHO.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

have only had my unlocked GNex since Thurs... but so far, battery life is <1 day... 12 hrs on the first full day (Fri)... so far today, it was dropping fairly quickly...

looking at the battery usage panel, Facebook is the biggest culprit (aside from the screen)... i'm trying to figure out how to reduce Facebook's battery drain.... eff-you FB

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn