View Poll Results: Update to 4.0.4

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have updated to 4.0.4. I have had no issues (and noticed improvemnts)

13 46.43%
  • I have updated to 4.0.4. I have problems (see comments)

2 7.14%
  • I have not updated to 4.0.4. I will wait for the update.

10 35.71%
  • I have not updated to 4.0.4. I might update later, or I might not.

3 10.71%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Update to 4.0.4? Yes/No/Maybe?

So I've been doing some reading on other tech sites about upgrading to 4.0.4. I'm currently on 4.0.2, and it's OK. Kinda crappy reception/battery life (I was expecting better), and the laggy screen rotation pisses me off.

Yet I've been hearing a lot of people having issues with 4.0.4 dropping calls and having terrible reception -- worse then 4.0.2 (or so a few people said)

SO since I trust the good people here at Android Central, I'll post a little poll here. I realize that to get 4.0.4 I have to either wait, or unlock and flash over to a yaku build.

Default Re: Update to 4.0.4? Yes/No/Maybe?

I've flashed over to the yaku build a while back and haven't received the update. I'm still on 4.0.2, but I don't have any of the issues that you are experiencing. Are you with AT&T or T-Mobile? I'm with T-Mobile and have no reception problems or lag. The lag may be caused by an app that's downloaded to your phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

On Rogers. Had rotation lag even before I put ANYTHING on there (other then signing the phone into my Google account)

I've heard varying reports about screen rotation, battery life, and reception on 0.2, 0.3, and 0.4. So I dunno. I'd like better reception and less rotation lag. The battery life I can live with for now (or order an extended battery)

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

I voted "I have updated to 4.0.4. I have had no issues (and noticed improvemnts)" even though its not true. Better wording might have been "I have updated to 4.0.4 and its better" or "I have updated to 4.0.4 and I'm happy I did".
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the vote. Care to let me know what changed/improved and what bugs or issues you've found?
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

Improvements I can remember are:

1. Memory management much better (or perhaps fixed memory leak(s)), so no longer getting slower every day, many not need to reboot weekly like I used to.
    2. Silent/vibrate/sound power button menu options

Bugs that persist (not new to this version):

1. Panoramas still don't contain metadata (location etc)
    2. If mobile signal lost for ages sometimes won't recover without air plane mode toggle
    3. Rareish occasional reboots ( I have uptime widget so know when it occurs).
    4. Adding phone number to existing contact weirdness (blank page then back button weirdness)

I don't think I have any new issues.
    Last edited by dbareis; 04-16-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added: Adding phone number to existing contact weirdness (blank page then back button weirdness)
    Thanked by:

I am still on 4.0.2 with my GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile. I normally manually update, but this time it's not as simple as dl the update file to phone and installing.
    I unfortunately have not unlocked my bootloader, so if I were to do that now I would wipe everything. I thought being patient would result in getting the update without pulling my hair out waiting. And now, with a second 4.0.4 update. I am still waiting, with hair thou.
    Is there anyone else that is as unfortunate as me, and has not received the update ota?

I am doing the waiting game also. I am still on 4.0.1 on the Rogers network.
    I bought this phone primarily for the so called frequent and unified updates... However this entire Galaxy Nexus ordeal has been one large dog's breakfast.
    In my opinion the way Google, Samsung and your respective carrier of choice is handling this situation is shameful.
    It's a mystery as to why Android cannot have timely unified updates like the other operating systems.
    Does not seem that hard... Yet we are getting the shaft

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfo View Post
    I am still on 4.0.2 with my GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile. I normally manually update, but this time it's not as simple as dl the update file to phone and installing.
    I unfortunately have not unlocked my bootloader, so if I were to do that now I would wipe everything. I thought being patient would result in getting the update without pulling my hair out waiting. And now, with a second 4.0.4 update. I am still waiting, with hair thou.
    Is there anyone else that is as unfortunate as me, and has not received the update ota?
    I'm in the same boat. I've read where the original 4.0.4 update was halted due to problems people were having with their signal. The new update fixes those problems....so those people with the original update are receiving the patch first.....then Google will finish with the rest of us.

At least that's what I've read on other sites.....maybe someone can verify.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well last night I did unlock and flash myself over to 4.0.4 yakju. I haven't had a lot of time to evaluate it but in general it does seem a little snappier overall, and so far it seems to hang on to signal better. I also recieved the minor upgrade to 4.0.4 this afternoon.

I used Wugg's toolbox to do it, and it worked pretty well (after I got rid of some drivers that I believe were blocking my attempts).

If you're not worried about keeping warranty, I'd say just bite the bullet and flash over to 4.0.4 yakju.

There was a minor update to 4.0.4 that came out a few days ago, it was supposed to address the dropped signal issue when in sleep. From IMM76D to IMM76I I think. I wouldn't know though, I'm still 4.0.1 stock unrooted in Canada, and battling between my waned patience for the update to my yakjuux, and seeing if I can flash the update straight from Google myself. Never done it though, but reading up on it.
    Last edited by roro808; 04-22-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Not rooted - my bad.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Use Wugg's toolkit. I used it to flash a "test run" to my phone (flashed 4.0.2 yakjuux to 4.0.2 yakju) which went smoothly after I cleared out a bunch of drivers and other software that may have been causing me some issues. Once I verified that it worked I went ahead and flashed 4.0.4 yakju. Earlier today I recieved a minor update to 4.0.4.

I'm also in Canada on Rogers. I got tired of waiting (lol a whole 2 weeks of owning the phone).

Works perfect with my GNexus gsm
    Yakju ;-)
    Google Nexus Fan

i'm still on 4.0.2, if i upgrade to 4.0.4 will my radio baseband be automatically updated?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

as far as I know if you flash to 4.0.4 yakju it does update the radio. I could be wrong however. I have consistantly had problems at my work (steel siding, steel frame, few windows) so I'll have a better idea later today how that goes. Hoping to see better battery life both from better software and upgraded baseband (not loosing signal or hunting for signal)

I'll try to update tonight when I get home

***update***

Well, most days I get to work with about 90-95% charge, and by the time I get home I'm usually at 30% or so. Today (first day at work after updating to 4.0.4) I got home with about 65% battery remaining. One thing I want to make clear, I only use my phone during break times (total of 1hr) during my shift. The rest of the time it sits idle (screen off). I don't know how much of this is due to better battery management in .4, how much is due to better radio software (not loosing signal and then draining the batt by searching for it again) or if its a combination. Or today could have been a fluke, although I didn't really change my usage at all. I'll see how it goes for the rest of the week. ALthough if today is any indication, I'm VERY impressed!
    Last edited by dancing-bass; 04-24-2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: added info re: ***update***