Google Selling Galaxy Nexus

anon(772365)

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Haha! I seem to be stressing too much about the different sellers of the same phone, huh? I should really just get the phone already!

My contract with TMo is up at the end of July. I still have myfaves! Remember that? :)

What kind of pre paid plan do you have?

I think I might just stay with the myfaves plan because I get unlimited data (I think) and it's not that expensive.

Thoughts?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Haha! I seem to be stressing too much about the different sellers of the same phone, huh? I should really just get the phone already!

Yea they really are the "same". Anything that's different can be changed in software. I of course recommend you buy from Google Play, as it's effectively the same price as importers but you get a full US warranty and customer support.

What kind of pre paid plan do you have?

I'm on the $30 100 min / UL text / UL (5GB) data. Works out well for me. Tons of info on it around the web.

I think I might just stay with the myfaves plan because I get unlimited data (I think) and it's not that expensive.

Thoughts?

Whatever you think. If your plan is good and you like the features and price, you don't have to switch to prepaid. Some people with cheap grandfathered plans are often better off staying with their current setup.

Not sure how much you pay or what your exact features are, but I'm assuming it's going to be similar to the $70 Prepaid plan, which is UL talk / UL text / UL (5GB) data.

anon(772365)

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I have 350 minutes, ul text and ul data. I also get ul minutes to five numbers.
I pay $77 but that includes the taxes and insurance ($6 a month), so I would say that any new plan would be a lateral move so I think I might just stick to what I have. I like your plan alot but 100 minutes is just not enough for me. I need at least 300 or so.

I still want to see if the Note comes to TMo because the screen size and s-pen are really attractive to me. Also, they say sgs3 might be available as early as this summer! That's exciting.

But, nothing is as exciting as unlocked, no contract, pure ics. Period.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
If you buy the Galaxy Nexus from the Google Play store, will it work with AT&T's 4G LTE network?

NO. You will only get HSPA+.

I have 350 minutes, ul text and ul data. I also get ul minutes to five numbers.
I pay $77 but that includes the taxes and insurance ($6 a month), so I would say that any new plan would be a lateral move so I think I might just stick to what I have. I like your plan alot but 100 minutes is just not enough for me. I need at least 300 or so.

Yeah sounds like your plan is a better deal. You should hold onto that.

I still want to see if the Note comes to TMo because the screen size and s-pen are really attractive to me. Also, they say sgs3 might be available as early as this summer! That's exciting.

But, nothing is as exciting as unlocked, no contract, pure ics. Period.

The Note is pretty much a "sure thing" for T-Mobile now. As well as the SGSIII. Just depends what you want. The Nexus will be much cheaper though.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Because its cheaper to buy outright and maintain a cheap plan then to upgrade and pay more.... You save money buying the device outright.

jdm4u

Samsungian
Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a family plan on sprint with 2 lines. I'm looking to cancel that in a couple months and buying at least one unlocked galaxy Nexus and going back to t-mobile. Google should've done this from the beginning.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that when the SGSIII comes out, it will have TouchWiz on it. Not sure how anyone else feels, but I terribly dislike it. It looks like a 5 year old designed it with all of the bright colors.

I prefer the Galaxy Nexus that Google is selling because it is untouched by a carrier, runs ICS the way Google intended, and should receive updates first.

The only other Android phone I would consider is a HTC One X. But that phone is more expensive to buy out right. It's either $550 off contract from AT&T or between $600 - $650 to buy the international version.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I never pay more. I just extend the plan I have and get a phone at the discounted price. I like my service and I am not going anywhere.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone on here having screen issues? I saw on xda that alot of people are having major problems with the screen having purple or blue hues, lines across it at low brightness, black spots, dead pixels and so on.

I've had 4 Galaxy Nexus phones.

First one was perfect (but I returned it because I saw a better price elsewhere).

Second one had moderate purple tinting visible at medium brightness.

Third one had more severe purple tinting visible at any brightness.

Fourth one has no purple tinting, but grays look a bit grainy, I think this part is normal for AMOLED phones though (all of mine have had this so far).

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
They freaking better.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Better yet, it would be nice if they stop doing exclusives and leave us guessing when it will be openly available. Still slightly annoyed about finally breaking down and getting the imported GN, only to find Google selling it the next week for less! :)

iukreegs

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I never pay more. I just extend the plan I have and get a phone at the discounted price. I like my service and I am not going anywhere.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I'd wager you're paying more monthly than someone who buys their phone unsubsidized. The caveat would be if you're grandfathered into a plan that's better than anything currently being offered.

Currently, if a person buys a subsidized phone from tmobile, then they'd be paying $20 more per month. . The cost of a comparable subsidized phone is at least $200. Over the course of a year, the person with a subsidized phone would be paying an additional $240 into their plan. That comes out to $440 (price of a gnex after tax and shipping). So either route is about even after a year (although that doesn't include the tax paid on subsidized phone). The 2nd year, the person with the subsidized phone has to pay another $240 extra in the plan and is now that much farther behind in the price comparison.

So over a 2 year period, the person with the subsidized phone would pay approximately $255 more than the person with the unsubsidized phone based on current plans.

Carriers love subsidized phones for a reason and it's not for saving the customer money. It's akin to a loan with high interest. Less up front but they get theirs in the long run.

As for the GNex, I haven't seen any issues with my screen. Either there are a few duds or people are exaggerating.

Last edited:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you all think Google will continue to sell all of their phones like this in the future?

We would assume so. It's hard to believe that they'd start selling the GNex online directly this late after its' launch to just stop selling devices again before the next Nexus launch. After all of this crap with Verizon in the US, I bet Google doesn't really want to do any more bad carrier launches or exclusivities that keep them from selling devices directly.

Not to mention that this "Google Play Store Devices" area is really a launching zone for more Google products than just the Nexus. This is just a test to see how the system goes. We'll see more than a phone in there in the future.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
We would assume so. It's hard to believe that they'd start selling the GNex online directly this late after its' launch to just stop selling devices again before the next Nexus launch. After all of this crap with Verizon in the US, I bet Google doesn't really want to do any more bad carrier launches or exclusivities that keep them from selling devices directly.

Not to mention that this "Google Play Store Devices" area is really a launching zone for more Google products than just the Nexus. This is just a test to see how the system goes. We'll see more than a phone in there in the future.

I hope your rigjht Marton!

I think I will be placing an order for the Gnex this weekend and go on Prepaid! (Strait Talk) and and just get a new phone every year! Providing they continue to sell their phones for something like $400 or so like the current device!

danan

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I get the feeling that google's optimism about how android is developing is less than it used to be. I wouldn't be surprised to see big changes. And who know where the Motorola thing is going.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I get the feeling that google's optimism about how android is developing is less than it used to be. I wouldn't be surprised to see big changes. And who know where the Motorola thing is going.

Google not optimistic about Android? It's the top os at the moment. why would it not be optimistic? It's selling the gnex because I believe it saw how limiting it to just one carrier here hindered its sales and it saw many people, myself included, that wanted one but we're not willing to go the cdma way on Verizon. Thumbs up to Google for doing what it did.