Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question about T-Mobile data speeds with the GN

Is there a big difference between 21Mbps and 42Mbps phones other than theoretical top speed? Right now, I just switched to T-Mobile and got the Galaxy S2 which gets me around 6-7Mbps around town. If I trade in and get the Nexus, will speeds be any slower or will speeds be around the same since it's only works on T-Mobile's 21Mbps HSPA network..

This is pretty weird for me, I've always been with either Verizon or Sprint, so I'm new to the whole SIM card thing and GSM networks..

Default Re: Question about using this phone on T-Mobile

There's something different, but I'm not sure what lol.

If I drop my SIM card in my SGSII, I get about 10-11M/s download speed.
    In the very same spot, I get about 7M/s with my G Nex.
    I am NOT in a 21 or 42 network, my area is only rated at 14.4.

What any of that means, I duuno. In the end, you can't tell much of a difference between them, and in fact the G Nex with Chrome seems faster on the web than the SGSII with the stock Samsung browser.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Personally I would forgo a bit of speed for a pure android experience. But that is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsg View Post
    Is there a big difference between 21Mbps and 42Mbps phones other than theoretical top speed? Right now, I just switched to T-Mobile and got the Galaxy S2 which gets me around 6-7Mbps around town. If I trade in and get the Nexus, will speeds be any slower or will speeds be around the same since it's only works on T-Mobile's 21Mbps HSPA network..

This is pretty weird for me, I've always been with either Verizon or Sprint, so I'm new to the whole SIM card thing and GSM networks..
    You'd only notice a difference in an area where T-Mobile has deployed 42mbps HSPA+ on the towers. The highest real-world speeds you should expect on a 21mbps HSPA+ device is about 60% of that theoretical speed. Expect ~12mbps at the most in excellent condition.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

I might have to eat my words seeing that I am getting terrible speeds on the tmobile network. I know for a fact I am in a 21+ m/s coverage area but can't seem to pull more than 1.2 megs at best... What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I have to set up? I can't even get a H+ signal. It just shows H and might drop to 3g here and there. Is there something wrong the 404.buil404.build? .

Quote Originally Posted by rizzman View Post
    I might have to eat my words seeing that I am getting terrible speeds on the tmobile network. I know for a fact I am in a 21+ m/s coverage area but can't seem to pull more than 1.2 megs at best... What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I have to set up? I can't even get a H+ signal. It just shows H and might drop to 3g here and there. Is there something wrong the 404.buil404.build? .
    I'm with you! I only get H, not H+. It usually stays on 3G too. I live in Houston.
    Is this a problem with the Nexus and Tmobile service?
    Is a new sim card the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelion View Post
    I'm with you! I only get H, not H+. It usually stays on 3G too. I live in Houston.
    Is this a problem with the Nexus and Tmobile service?
    Is a new sim card the answer?
    When I checked from the tmo store I came to know that the unlocked phones even though they support the tmo network do not support HSPA+ which is basically HSPA with back haul but only plain HSPA. So you will only see H and not H+ . Hope this information helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Quote Originally Posted by avidandroider View Post
    When I checked from the tmo store I came to know that the unlocked phones even though they support the tmo network do not support HSPA+ which is basically HSPA with back haul but only plain HSPA. So you will only see H and not H+ . Hope this information helps.

Wit wait... So I will never see hspa+ speeds with my device on tmobile network? So I will never be able to get more than 1 meg down speeds?

can someone confirm this? nobody on tmobile or att is getting H+?

Wit wait... So I will never see hspa+ speeds with my device on tmobile network? So I will never be able to get more than 1 meg down speeds?
    No with HSPA you will easily be able to get around 6 mbps. I am on tmo using the unlocked gnexus.

I will get mine monday. ill let you know then.

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Wow....someone getting 6 megs down on tmo???? I would kill for that. I have not gotten over 2 megs down since i got it two days ago. Popped the sim back into my g2x at home...4 megs. popped it back into gnex home----1.5. What gives.......man I will be pissed if this will not run over two megs in a good coverage tmo are.. Man o man.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Default Re: Question about T-Mobile data speeds with the GN

I'm getting my Nexus in a couple days, I'll you know

I don't have T-Mobile but im getting anywhere from 3-6 mbps download with At&t...

How much do you guys pay? I'm a student and I'm gonna get paid from an internship in summer so I was planning on buying the unlocked Galaxy Nexus because I'm TIRED of Virgin Mobile. I know there's plans with the SIM card from $20 to $60. True?

I get between 5-6mbs on tmo. Phone shows "H" and sometimes 3G. I just assumed "H" was HSPA+. Never heard of "H+". 6mb is fine with me. Can Netflix and video chat no problem.

As for cost, I believe tmo has a prepaid unlimited everything for about $60. I'm on a family plan which is about $80 per month; unlimited everything. (Per line).

Wow....someone getting 6 megs down on tmo???? I would kill for that. I have not gotten over 2 megs down since i got it two days ago. Popped the sim back into my g2x at home...4 megs. popped it back into gnex home----1.5. What gives.......man I will be pissed if this will not run over two megs in a good coverage tmo are.. Man o man.
    Should check your APNs. It should get the same speeds assuming the dBm connection is relatively the same.

This is not true. You get full speeds. They pipe the bits to your SIM and your phone picks it up. They don't discriminate on the devices. I get 100% full-on HSPA+ on my i9250 Galaxy Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by KeviiinS View Post
    How much do you guys pay? I'm a student and I'm gonna get paid from an internship in summer so I was planning on buying the unlocked Galaxy Nexus because I'm TIRED of Virgin Mobile. I know there's plans with the SIM card from $20 to $60. True?
    I'm on T-Mobile prepaid $30/mo. 100 minutes, UL text, UL/5gb cap data.

They have $60 tier with: UL minutes, UL text, UL/2gb cap data.
    and a $70 tier with: UL minutes, UL text, UL/5gb cap data.

Simple Mobile has $60 UL / UL / UL (cap ~8gb) plans.

Other AT&T MVNO's have plans in the $45-$75 range with about the same features.

Quote Originally Posted by font1975 View Post
    I get between 5-6mbs on tmo. Phone shows "H" and sometimes 3G. I just assumed "H" was HSPA+. Never heard of "H+". 6mb is fine with me. Can Netflix and video chat no problem.
    There is no "H+" icon on the Galaxy Nexus. You'll only be able to show:

x : no service
    R : roaming
    G : GPRS
    E : EDGE
    3G : UMTS
    H : HSDPA / HSPA+ / HSPAP

On the phone under "status" you'll never see it say "HSPA+". On 4.0.2 you'll see "HSDPA". On 4.0.4 you'll see "HSPAP:15".
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
    Should check your APNs. It should get the same speeds assuming the dBm connection is relatively the same.

This is not true. You get full speeds. They pipe the bits to your SIM and your phone picks it up. They don't discriminate on the devices. I get 100% full-on HSPA+ on my i9250 Galaxy Nexus.

Other AT&T MVNO's have plans in the $45-$75 range with about the same features.

There is no "H+" icon on the Galaxy Nexus. You'll only be able to show:

x : no service
    R : roaming
    G : GPRS
    E : EDGE
    3G : UMTS
    H : HSDPA / HSPA+ / HSPAP

On the phone under "status" you'll never see it say "HSPA+". On 4.0.2 you'll see "HSDPA". On 4.0.4 you'll see "HSPAP:15".
    Thanks a lot!!! I'm so getting it in summer

ROM
    Whatever google wants...

Yep worked out fine. I am getting close to 8 Meg's down in strong spots. So it is working, just neveru realized that at home I only get 2 bars signal thus slower speeds. But I hit over 8Meg's at work constantly all day today so I am a happy go camper. Plus I realized something interesting. Even with lower bars at home I am able to render pages on the chrome browser incredibly fast. It is insane how optimized that browser is for android. Good bye stock browser.

Ps......members we right. The gnex never shows h+. H is H+

Quote Originally Posted by KeviiinS View Post
    Thanks a lot!!! I'm so getting it in summer
    No problem. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Yep worked out fine. I am getting close to 8 Meg's down in strong spots. So it is working, just neveru realized that at home I only get 2 bars signal thus slower speeds. But I hit over 8Meg's at work constantly all day today so I am a happy go camper. Plus I realized something interesting. Even with lower bars at home I am able to render pages on the chrome browser incredibly fast. It is insane how optimized that browser is for android. Good bye stock browser.

Ps......members we right. The gnex never shows h+. H is H+
    Good to hear you're getting acceptable speeds.

This is the speeds I'm getting in Houston (Galleria area) on T-Mobile.
    Is this good?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question about T-Mobile data speeds with the GN-screenshot_2012-04-30-20-09-46.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelion View Post
    This is the speeds I'm getting in Houston (Galleria area) on T-Mobile.
    Is this good?
    Uhh yeah. That's about the peak you're going to get on a 21mbps HSPA+ device unless you're within view of a tower. That's great performance.

In Phoenix and areas in the East Valley I only get an average of 3Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. Peak speeds sometimes reach 4Mbps. I'm not terribly impressed since this is the same speeds my 3G Galaxy S Vibrant got as well.

But since I've had four Galaxy Nexus and they've all done it and I know others get better results in other places, I assume it's just lame HSPA+ service here in the Phoenix areas (at least the parts where I've been trying it).

It's sufficient though, so I'll live with it.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post

Do you use any VOIP or SIP accounts to supplement your 100 minutes? I've been on the 60 dollar Monthly 4G plan with my Galaxy Nexus. I'm considering switching but 100 minutes is pretty low.

Secondly, I thought Simple Mobile throttled way before 8GB. If thats their limit would it make their $60 plan a better option than T-Mobile's $60 dollar Monthly 4G plan ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Dude View Post
    Do you use any VOIP or SIP accounts to supplement your 100 minutes? I've been on the 60 dollar Monthly 4G plan with my Galaxy Nexus. I'm considering switching but 100 minutes is pretty low.
    I make calls via Google Voice + Google Talk in GMail whenever I'm at my computer (requires that you're into Google Voice). VOIP solutions are so clunky and inconsistent to use for regular calls imo. To drop to this 100 minute plan you either need to not talk much or be able to deal with the VOIP solutions.

I know there are a lot of people who do VOIP, but its just not worth the hassle to save such little money. Once you're into VOIP you're paying monthly + per minute for that service on top of your own plan, plus the hassle, you might as well just get an unlimited talk plan.

Secondly, I thought Simple Mobile throttled way before 8GB. If thats their limit would it make their $60 plan a better option than T-Mobile's $60 dollar Monthly 4G plan ?
    General consensus that I'm aware of is that they throttle in the 6gb-8gb range. We know for a fact that Simple throttles much higher than 2gb, so It does make their plan a better deal than the $60 T-Mobile plan, and potentially even better than the $70 T-Mobile plan.

There is another option much better than the T-Mobile $60 plan, from Straight Talk. They offer UL / UL / "UL"(2gb) plan for $45. So if you're staying under $45 and don't "abuse" (they're pretty strict) your data then you can save more there.

The only merit I see to the $70 T-Mobile plan is the security to know where they throttle at. You pay just a little more in order to know that you have that full 5gb. Its pretty much a power-users plan (or someone who doesn't want to have "minute anxiety" or "data anxiety".

For someone with the Galaxy Nexus (or other flagships), the only 2 relevant plans from T-Mobile are the $30 plan for heavy data / light talk users, and the $70 plan for heavy data / heavy talk users. The other two runners (mentioned above) are Straight Talk $45 medium data / heavy talk, and Simple Mobile $60 heavy data / heavy talk. ALL of which are killer deals compared to AT&T and Verizon, honestly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast