New Nexus HSPA+ D.O.A.?

vip007

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I ordered my new Nexus from Google Play on Tuesday and received it last night. Was excited to play with it. However:

The phone will not power on! I thought it could be the discharged battery. Tried to recharge it overnight, still nothing. Tried to take the battery out, plug in the phone and power on, nothing again.

I do not see any indication the phone is receiving power / battery is being charged when plugged in (no LEDs are on---should they be?)

So is it possible the brand new phone is D.O.A. like this? I've never had a problem like this before.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I ordered my new Nexus from Google Play on Tuesday and received it last night. Was excited to play with it. However:

The phone will not power on! I thought it could be the discharged battery. Tried to recharge it overnight, still nothing. Tried to take the battery out, plug in the phone and power on, nothing again.

I do not see any indication the phone is receiving power / battery is being charged when plugged in (no LEDs are on---should they be?)

So is it possible the brand new phone is D.O.A. like this? I've never had a problem like this before.

if it's powered off there should be a short animation of the charging battery, showing how full it is. No LEDs, however. Could be a totally dead/defective battery, or possibly dead/defective charger. That being said, it should NOT be that way! Absolutely call customer service and see what they can do for you!!

samnexus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I just experienced the same problem - the phone was DOA and would not charge with no indicators on.

The response from Google and Samsung is horrible. Google passes you off to Samsung who eventually concluded that they would replace the phone, but they required me to let them put a hold on a credit card so I'd be motivated to return the defective phone. I really did not have a problem with that, but the Samsung rep said that he'd have to transfer me to someone else to take the credit card info. After I waited on hold a few minutes, he came back and said that they were too busy to take the info right then, but would call me later to get the CC info. It is a day later, and no call from Samsung. Further, the shipping on the replacement phone is not overnight - it is two day, but they won't ship it until they get the credit card info and the SOB's won't call. I called Samsung support today to try and give them what they need, but they will not take a call for that purpose and say I must wait at least 24 hours. This is no way for either company to respond to a DOA product. I have nothing polite to say about Google or Samsung at the moment!

samnexus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Update: I finally bugged Samsung enough to get a phone number to call to give my credit card info to. I did that today. The rep told me that the replacement phone would go out tomorrow night and be sent by two day air. :( That means I should get my phone Friday afternoon. Who knows how long it would be if I waited for them to call me as they said they would. Samsung will never get another dime from me with this kind of treatment. The replacement phone better work! :mad:

So
Possibly! Give the Play store a call, they will most likely ship you a new one overnight!
More like 5 day air since I called Monday and should get the phone Friday.

gg2005

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I had this same problem, and call their support line.

The fix (which worked):

Take a cloth (I used the shirt I was wearing), and wipe the connections on both the battery and the battery contacts on the phone. Don't need to scrub, just wipe.

The guy from Google said the remains of their cleaner sometimes prevents the battery contacts from make a connection.

Worked for me!

Reactions: project.in.process

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
When I got mine back in December I had this problem. I had pre ordered it, had it shipped from the UK to Colorado, and it wouldn't turn on. I was pretty devastated because sending it back and getting a replacement from Europe with a 700 dollar device that was already in high demand would have been a pain. After an hour or so of making sure there was no dust, everything was clean, and the battery was charged, it finally just randomly booted up. Was really weird.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
When I got mine back in December I had this problem. I had pre ordered it, had it shipped from the UK to Colorado, and it wouldn't turn on. I was pretty devastated because sending it back and getting a replacement from Europe with a 700 dollar device that was already in high demand would have been a pain. After an hour or so of making sure there was no dust, everything was clean, and the battery was charged, it finally just randomly booted up. Was really weird.
Have you had this happening again ever since? When I received my phone I inserted the battery and wasn't able to turn it on. I thought at first the battery was completely discharged so I plugged in the charged and kept pressing the power button and after like three four minutes it started booting up and the battery appeared to be charged almost completely. So I also thought that was weird...

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Have you had this happening again ever since? When I received my phone I inserted the battery and wasn't able to turn it on. I thought at first the battery was completely discharged so I plugged in the charged and kept pressing the power button and after like three four minutes it started booting up and the battery appeared to be charged almost completely. So I also thought that was weird...

Nope, thankfully that was the first and only time that it had done it for me.

ssnh

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

The fix (which worked):

Take a cloth (I used the shirt I was wearing), and wipe the connections on both the battery and the battery contacts on the phone. Don't need to scrub, just wipe.

The guy from Google said the remains of their cleaner sometimes prevents the battery contacts from make a connection.

Worked for me!

YES! Dude you are awesome, this worked for me.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
YES! Dude you are awesome, this worked for me.

was almost my exact response when i got mine in the mail last week & it wouldn't power on.

wiped the contacts, popped in the battery & powered up to the Google screen within seconds.

felt great (until NFC didn't work--that's another story :) )

mikeurl

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

The fix (which worked):

Worked for me!

Same advice I got, and yes it worked. I'm a little bit concerned about build quality if they are careless enough to use something that might prevent a critical battery lead from making contact. What other mistakes did they make along the way that might cause annoying problems? It is industrial engineering 101 that you don't clean your open leads with a solution that dries and leaves a dieletric residue.

Personally i did need to scrub. And I had to do it twice (the leads on the battery and on the phone) before the phone would charge. The phone itself has a 12 month warranty.

I have to say that so far everything about buying this phone has been awful. From initial order, customer services (why are they all children?), all the way through delivery and then finally getting a phone that would not boot. The phone itself feels flimsy and the battery cover is like something a high school mechanical engineering class would come up with. Screen is pretty nice (though no better than my quite aged Droid X) and Jelly Bean rocks. If not for Jelly Bean this whole thing would be a disaster.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692