Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S II Skyrocket?

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and thinking about switching over to Android. I currently have an iPhone 4S that I bought in December. I'm thinking about getting either a Galaxy Nexus from Google or a Galaxy S II Skyrocket.

I like the idea of the unlocked Galaxy Nexus for the following reasons:
  • No bloatware
  • Beautiful screen
  • Pure ICS experience
  • Great price for an unlocked phone

With that in mind, here are my reasons for considering a Galaxy S II Skyrocket:
  • 4G LTE (I live in an area where it is available)
  • Better camera

I have read many reviews of each one and just can't make up my mind. If I went with the Galaxy S II Skyrocket, I would either have to pay $500 for a new one from AT&T or buy a used one on Craigslist. I've seen them in my area for $370 or so. However, the phone will have bloatware that I probably won't be able to remove without rooting (which I'm not familiar with, but am technologically savvy, so it's not outside the realm of possibility) and a lesser resolution screen.

Is the screen on the Galaxy Nexus and having ICS from the start worth sacrificing LTE and the camera for?

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
After thinking it over and reading many things about both phones, I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with the Galaxy Nexus. The two big things for me are ICS and no bloatware.

Feel free to leave any comments. I am still probably a few days away as I need to sell my iPhone 4S first.

c5karl

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy Nexus, and I have no regrets about passing up LTE. HSPA+ is sufficiently fast that the air interface doesn't ever seem to be the bottleneck. I get download speeds as fast as 3 Mbps and upload speeds as fast as 1.8 Mbps from some locations. At other locations it's more like .5 Mpbs down and .2 Mbps up, but I think that has more to do with backhaul capacity and cell site saturation.

My guess is that LTE buys no extra real-world data speed but does cost you battery life.

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting. That certainly makes me feel more confident in my decision. I'll be sure to post on how everyone turns out. Hopefully I'll be able to sell my iPhone 4S in the next couple of days so I can order the Galaxy Nexus from Google.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting. That certainly makes me feel more confident in my decision. I'll be sure to post on how everyone turns out. Hopefully I'll be able to sell my iPhone 4S in the next couple of days so I can order the Galaxy Nexus from Google.

Depending on the size of your iPhone they sell for a nice chunk of change

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a skyrocket right now and I'm seriously debating getting the Galaxy Nexus. It comes down to vanilla ICS versus micro SD slot and LTE.

The Skyrocket is a really good phone, but I'm honestly bored of it and the custom ICS roms are still too buggy from what I read, plus, is ICS with TouchWiz really that different of an experience versus gingerbread?

I think I just talked myself into the Galaxy Nexus typing this out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I just sold my iPhone 4S today for $410. I certainly went through some ups and downs trying to sell it locally on Craigslist.

I ordered the Samsung Galaxy Nexus from Expansys online because they charge $409.99 with no sales tax or shipping. Hopefully I'll get the phone this week.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I just sold my iPhone 4S today for $410. I certainly went through some ups and downs trying to sell it locally on Craigslist.

I ordered the Samsung Galaxy Nexus from Expansys online because they charge $409.99 with no sales tax or shipping. Hopefully I'll get the phone this week.

Oh that's unfortunate. Should've ordered from Google Play. Spend $30 more and you get a full 1 year manufacturers warranty with no hassle.

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh that's unfortunate. Should've ordered from Google Play. Spend $30 more and you get a full 1 year manufacturers warranty with no hassle.

I think I'm going to cancel my order. I didn't realize I wouldn't be getting a warranty. After reading some of the things on the Expansys forums and what you just said, I'll spend the extra money.

Thanks!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to cancel my order. I didn't realize I wouldn't be getting a warranty. After reading some of the things on the Expansys forums and what you just said, I'll spend the extra money.

Thanks!

No problem. They offer a European warranty but it has to go through Expansys. Just more hassle than its worth if you have the option to buy straight from Google IMO.

Reactions: Melon Bread

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
No problem. They offer a European warranty but it has to go through Expansys. Just more hassle than its worth if you have the option to buy straight from Google IMO.

I agree. I just cancelled my order and will call Expansys tomorrow to confirm. I just placed the order with Google. Hopefully I'll have it by Friday.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm a noob to Android. I got myself the Gnex for a few reasons. 3year contracts here in Canada was a big one, so I was thinking the Gnex would have the longest "shelf life" as far as updates go. (I've already flashed to 4.0.4 yakju so I can get the updates from Google, rather then waiting for Samsung to clear it - and then wait for my carrier to clear it as well). I also wanted something that was easier to tinker with. I don't think I'll root and custom-rom it just yet. I'm still learning my way around Android and ICS. I'm happy with my decision.

And as far as speeds I tend to do 1-1.5Mbps up and .5 down. My up number has been as high as 3Mbps (but that was late at night, so virtually no traffic on the towers to slow things down). Oddly enough my up speed NEVER has gotten past .5 or .6, which makes me think its the carrier throttling stuff. *shrugs* oh well, its more phone then I NEED, but dang, its the phone I WANT :D

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus is on its way. It's shipping today. I'm guessing I should get it by Thursday. I can't wait!

Let us know if you have any screen issues. A LOT of people over at the XDA forum are complaining of purple tint screens on low brightness or getting bands on their screens or grainy screens. I have a skyrocket and was going to purchase the Nexus off of Google Play, but I'm waiting to make sure these batch of bad screens get pulled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Let us know if you have any screen issues. A LOT of people over at the XDA forum are complaining of purple tint screens on low brightness or getting bands on their screens or grainy screens. I have a skyrocket and was going to purchase the Nexus off of Google Play, but I'm waiting to make sure these batch of bad screens get pulled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will do

Melon Bread

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I think you made the right decision I came from the SGH-T989 (Basically the T-Mobile version of the Skyrocket.) and I still do not regret it. Unlike my old phone I fell in love with my Galaxy Nexus at first sight. :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech